Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with these bullets or recall reading of any tests? I'm wondering which one performs better in regards to to expansion, weight retention and penetration. I've loaded up a batch of the 250gr XTP's to approx 1000fps for my 45 Colt Blackhawk to use for hunting this deer season. Just wondering if the Speer might be better.

RIKA

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've done quite a bit with both the XTP and Gold Dot in 9MM, .357 and .45. Both are fine bullet choices. In some cases I've found the Gold Dot to have a slight edge, in that the XTP's will separate while the Gold Dots won't. With the .45 Colt specifically, the 250 grain XTP works fine from 950 up to 1450 FPS MV, the range I've tried. The 230 grain Gold Dot shouldn't be driven much faster than 1050 FPS, its construction is too light for higher velocities. (I didn't believe Speer, tried it. They weren't lyin'). With any high velocity .45 Colt load, XTPs would be my choice. With anything else, I prefer Gold Dots. Both expand properly, but that weight retention/separation thing gives GD the edge in my opinion. Right now, I have several hundred rounds of .45 Colt loaded with that 250 XTP, at a MV of 1400 FPS from my Blackhawks.

DC

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info 45 Colt. I really like the XTP's accuracy.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
One thing I forgot. If you decide to load any 300 grain XTPs in .45 Colt, make sure you get the right one. Hornady makes 2 different .45 300 grain XTPs, one is a 300 grain XTP MAG. The 300XTP MAG will not expand at .45 Colt velocities. There is a mistake in the Hornady reloading manual, they have both bullets on the pages for .45 Colt. A call to Hornady confirmed that this was wrong.

DC

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mv only experience with both of them is with the .45ACP. Over all my .45's prefer the XTP though the Witness .45 I had loved the Gold Dots.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The Gold Dot tends to not shed its jacket (as it's a bonded core bullet) and expands readily, however this limits its penetration on game.
The XTP does not expand as well, but penetrates better (in my experience, which is in the .44 magnum and .454 Casull, yeah, the Gold Dots about vaporized on impact from the .454, but that make it one impressive plinking round against hostile water bottles).

The XTP would be my choice for the .45 Colt. And yeah, don't use the XTP-MAG, those are for .454 Casull loads. It's too bad Speer doesn't make a Gold Dot Soft Point like the 270-grainer for the .44, that's a good bullet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts