Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ammo, and you can FORGET about all the "primitive weapon" bs. 5000 .22's will feed a family for a lifetime,if used intelligently, bartered with, etc. .22's DO "go bad", tho, if they are'n't kept in good, gasketed, sealed ammo cans, or have their case mouths sealed with an artist's brush and model airplane "dope".

·
Registered
18 Posts
5000 rounds of .22 isn't enough. I have at least 10,000 buried in my cache. You never know. I keep it all in PVC with dessicant packs in it to make sure there is no corrosion. The whole 100 dollar thing I am not so sure of. I would rather use that space for junk silver since it will have more value than paper money anyways.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
So whats the $100 for? You'd be better off with plenty of TP.

RIKA

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
In the earlier stages of a TEOLAWKI situation, I would figure services to be worth far more than even precious metals/stones.

Though, if one lives long enough in an area where a society using currency is reformed and running at least semi-smoothly I can see how gold and similar hard assets could be useful. I really cant see currency in any form being that valuable for any period of time in such an event.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long will it take to seal the shells??

Lets add more crap to the out side of a round that already fouls actions and chambers . Great idea .

The best way to seal a cache is to use PVC . seal one end . pack what ever you want . throw the dessicant packs in , make a tinfoil cup/plate have the tube standing upright . place a good size chunk of dry ice in/on the foil . let the co2 fill the tube to push the o2 out . then goop[ up the end and slap the lid on nice and water tight . no o2 , no spoiling/rust etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where can I get dry ice? Doesn't that stuff burn your hands? I will try that out if it isn't too expensive. I kind of live out in the backwoods. It was hard enough finding enough dessicant packs. But hey, if it will save my butt in SHTF, I will be willing to go a little out on a limb for it financially.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dont put to much in or you will get a PVC dry ice bomb.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
RIKA said:
So whats the $100 for?
$100 for the cost of the 5,000 rounds, I believe is what he means.

Definitely no reason to not have somewhere between "a ton" & "a buttload" of .22lr ammo around. The bulk stuff is less than $20 a thousand, so no reason IMO to not have at least several thousand. Even the subsonics I shoot a lot of thru the rifle are only $40-45 a thousand.

Just yesterday, I asked my wife to pick me up a few more ($19.17 including tax for 1,100 rounds of Federal bulk-pack HP's); turns out we've got over 40 teenagers signed up for the campout, instead of the 30 or so we were expecting.

Definitely have to store it properly, though; personally I like 'ammo cans' for ammo, but I'm not all that imaginative. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK ...

YOU dont seal the tube WHILE the dry ice is still smoking . Wait til its gone , or just a very small chunk left . Then put the lid on tight .CO2 is heaver than O2 , there for sinks to the bottom of the tube, pushing the O2 up and out .

Dry ice is aCO2 gas, turned to a liqued , then frozen and its so COLD it will freezer burn your skin .

This method will push over 90 % of the O2 out if done right .

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is a gas that is turned to a liquid , then frozen which to a solid , when it ''melts'' it turns back into what........................a GAS . CO2 is an inert gas , often used in welding . You could use CO2 gas might be cheaper , dont know .
Id just get dry ice cause its fun to mess with .....

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Geez, I wish I could shop where you guys do!! A Federal 325 rd bulk pack up here is $14.00 and change.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The enemy is oxygen, most of the SHTF supply places also sell o2 absorbent packs, similar to the dessican packs that will do the job as well, NOT as good as the Dry-ice trick, but it'll work

·
Registered
26 Posts
never heard of them , would be a good idea to throw one in after the CO2 to soak up any O2 thats might be there , ya think??

Drop a link would ya Kpd....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
No, dessicant packs pick up H20 - not CO2. CO2 shouldn't hurt anything unless O2 and [email protected]) are present. In this scenario, the gasses in the case are COLD, so they expand once they heat up. This does NOT make a seal. I'd rather use [email protected] absorbers and dessicant crystals to remove all of the H2) and O2 AND make a vacuum seal. Dry Ice (which IS cheap) won't doo all of that...and could harm some things because it IS sooooo cold.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
KIDGLOCK said:
It is a gas that is turned to a liquid , then frozen which to a solid , when it ''melts'' it turns back into what........................a GAS . CO2 is an inert gas , often used in welding . You could use CO2 gas might be cheaper , dont know .
Id just get dry ice cause its fun to mess with .....
Dry ice is fun to mess with, but it doesn't melt at room temperature. Melting is a solid going to a liquid. Evaporating is a liquid going to a gas. Dry ice is a solid that goes to a gas (at room temps, etc.) skipping the liquid stage; therefor, dry ice is said to sublime. In this case, there is no liquid state to concern us.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Translation into Gunkidese

"5000 .22's will feed a family for a lifetime,if used intelligently, "

Shooting people in the back and stealing their supplies will provide him with enough supplies to last as long as he will survive doing that(15 minutes or so, until he tries doing it :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
26 Posts
KJUN,
I guess I could have used the right terms ,evaporate , is closer . But the point was made. Thanks for putting this error straight.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
KIDGLOCK said:
never heard of them , would be a good idea to throw one in after the CO2 to soak up any O2 thats might be there , ya think??

Drop a link would ya Kpd....
Survival.com should have some other links Any of thr food suppliers have the O2 absorbers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts