Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there was a pretty good discussion on the relative merits of the Browning A-5 type shotguns. Half way though, our bottom member of the food chain said it was all useless because the "shotgun wasn't magazine fed and could not be broke down". Since I'm supposedly on Ignore, could someone explain to him that we don't alway's think of killing our fellow man? Browning A-5's and other shotguns are used for sport hunting. Birds, rabbit's etc. .22 Rifles and pistols are usually bought for recreation, not to build a "Can" for to shoot someone. Around my homestead we have informal plinking sessions all the time. It's not remotely related to "combat". It's called "Fun". John should try to get some of it in his life. He might not be so bitter about himself.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think I said it before, but to me there is "fun-fun" and "serious-fun"

For "fun-fun" (which I think you mean when you say "plinking is fun") I do stuff like play games, bang on tribal drums, draw urban art, throw the frizbee, etc.

For "serious fun" I knock the crap out of a heavy bag, swing rattan sticks, make knives, SHOOT, etc. This fun has a distinct purpose other than just distraction... a goal in mind.

See, I think when andy talks about guns, he's talking about shooting for serious fun and not dicking around (like just for distraction sake).

If you're making the point that the guy needs more fun-fun, then I'll agree... but to me and maybe like him, I only have X amount of $ and hours to dedicate to weapons, so it's gotta be "serious fun" for me.

Don't you think that informal "combat" style shooting is fun though?

:D

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I can understand being bitter but a person can be so for only so long - then they begin to hate life. Fun is one of the things that makes life worthwhile. Fun, friends and good times. Just plinking or the impromptu target match is a great stress buster. Beats heck out of getting drunk or doing dope.

For the Browning A5 (I have a Belgian one and love it - 12ga) I believe they served as a combat shotgun in either WW1 or WW2 although not standard issue.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Yes, all that aside, krept - why then all the energy spent poo-pooing others for having "non-serious" guns by Andy?

Btw, I consider all my recreational guns to be serious guns. My .338 is a recreational gun. I use it to hunt medium to large game, and on occasion, coyotes.

Is it an assualt rifle? No. Is it a main battle rifle? No.

Is it a joke? I doubt you'd like to be hit by a 225gr Barnes XLC shot from it.

This to me is both fun-fun and serious fun.

All hunting is.
All plinking is.

Hunting builds and keeps skills that are useful in survival situations, whether it be combat or SHTF. Fieldcraft, tracking, camoflage, stalking, range estimation - all useful skills. Not to mention shot placement, physical fitness, and using gear in field conditions.

Plinking, range estimation, accuracy, muscle memory, sight alignment / sight picture. Weapon familiarization.

Etc, etc.

To simply dismiss and slam others for doing these things and owning these guns is silly, or a case of jealousy (sour grapes).

Yes, informal combat shooting is fun.

No one will call you names for doing so.

It's the name calling and the insults that get Andy into trouble. To constanly deride everyone the minute something fun is brought up, is just dumb.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yeah, I agree 100%. I mean, I'm not defending the guy and I certainly don't advocate insults but I'm just saying I think I know a little where he's coming from.

Take my brother in law for example. The guy doesn't have any firearms and wants to get his first... wanted a Desert Eagle... then a .45LC revolver, etc. He says he thinks they'd be fun. OF COURSE they'd be fun, the go BANG and do it very well... BUT... I talk the guy to his senses and say "don't you think that shooting the USP .45 or P7 is fun? How about your sister's Makarov?" Exactly... trying to talk him into a more sensible piece for self defense that will also be fun and hopefully not penetrate a couple mobile homes in the process.

I think that's the type of reasoning that GK is trying to use (could be wrong). I guess you could say his flaw is not realizing WHY some people just like to spend their time and money shooting for "fun fun" when there are all kinds of other things to do. Perhaps.

cheers

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
oh, I realize it just FINE, and I couldn't care LESS what a bunch of dummies waste their time and money on. I dont post for them. I post for the one guy in 100 who's capable of LEARNING useful things.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like i was giving you grief. Everyone here is at different points in their life.

There's a lot of people here that beleive, rightly or wrongly, that they have their kit together. Other than improving and upgrading gear, we're now in a position where we can and do buy guns purely on the appeal or specialized use factor, not to mention sometimes just because we can.

You are approaching things from a practical position, which is good. You have established priorities and are addressing them. That's the 100% correct way to go about it.

Sometimes, though, it is good to get that totally unpractical gun first, just to play with it - it might change your ideas about what is or isn't practical.

Sorry if I came accross as putting you down - was not my intention.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
oh, I realize it just FINE, and I couldn't care LESS what a bunch of dummies waste their time and money on. I dont post for them. I post for the one guy in 100 who's capable of LEARNING useful things.
And, as usual, if he could care less, then why comment on it?

I don't recall recreation and fun preventing anyone from learning useful things...unless it was strictly sour grapes.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Between karate practice, staying fit, learning, work, fixing things, teaching etc, there's no time left in my day for "fun-fun". In the first place, anybody can plink with any gun, any load. As I've said many times, why bother with centerfires for non-serious shooting, when .22 works just fine for such "relaxation" shooting? I think guys are LYING when they claim that they forever and ever fire tens of thousands of centerfire rds per year. Spend 5k a year for such shooting, for a lifetime, and you could have RETIRED on the money you wasted.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
andy said:
...Spend 5k a year for such shooting,

and I'd be single & homeless... :cool:

In all seriousness, I may spend $1k a year, never added it up. Could be a little more; a thousand a year is only $19 a week. Did spend 78 or 80 dollars just yesterday on some bulk ammo on sale, and another $19 for a box of .223 64-grain PP+ ammo (deer season starts this weekend); so that's a hundred or so right there.

Another $80 on some NIB AR mags last week, another $25 for a sling for the new AR; maybe it's a good thing I don't add it up.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
Between karate practice, staying fit, learning, work, fixing things, teaching etc, there's no time left in my day for "fun-fun". In the first place, anybody can plink with any gun, any load. As I've said many times, why bother with centerfires for non-serious shooting, when .22 works just fine for such "relaxation" shooting? I think guys are LYING when they claim that they forever and ever fire tens of thousands of centerfire rds per year. Spend 5k a year for such shooting, for a lifetime, and you could have RETIRED on the money you wasted.
I plan to retire on an even larger amount of money, so what I spend on recreation is immaterial. (sorry if this sounds like bragging, it's not my intent.) Different people have set their priorities differently. I took care of first things first. I had ZERO debt before moving into this house. I will have it paid off well in advance of the life of the mortage.

Money that would have gone for mortage goes towards retirement, in addition to 401k, and other investments. I intend to retire quite comfortably. But I worked (and still work) my ass off to make this happen.

I don't have to spend 5k a year to fire thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo - I don't know where GK pulls these numbers from. The only expensive ammo I shoot is the handloads I do for hunting. everything else is bought in bulk and for cheap.

Deals can be found on milsurp 7.62, 5.56, and 7.62x39. Pistol ammo in .45, 9mm can also be found at good prices.

I just did an inventory and realized I need to start looking for deals on some 9mm and .45's. So now I will look at places like J&G, AmmoMan, and others. When I find some good deals, I will buy a case or two of each.

Plan wisely, give up stuff today to reap the benfits tomorrow. GK doesn't understand that concept, which is why everything is a shortcut to riches.

These shortcuts are why he pissed away a large portion of his life behind bars.

Sorry if I got preachy, but it's clear that GunKid (Andy) just doesn't get it.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
krept said:
I think I said it before, but to me there is "fun-fun" and "serious-fun"

For "fun-fun" (which I think you mean when you say "plinking is fun") I do stuff like play games, bang on tribal drums, draw urban art, throw the frizbee, etc.

For "serious fun" I knock the crap out of a heavy bag, swing rattan sticks, make knives, SHOOT, etc. This fun has a distinct purpose other than just distraction... a goal in mind.

See, I think when andy talks about guns, he's talking about shooting for serious fun and not dicking around (like just for distraction sake).

If you're making the point that the guy needs more fun-fun, then I'll agree... but to me and maybe like him, I only have X amount of $ and hours to dedicate to weapons, so it's gotta be "serious fun" for me.

Don't you think that informal "combat" style shooting is fun though?

:D
Sure, informal combat shooting is fun. Shooting with friends for a friendly wager, (beer and pizza on the losers) makes for a great afternoon get together. We do it all the time around here. My point was not everything connected with the shooting sports has to be "combat" related. A day spent duck hunting or just a ramble in the woods with a pocket full of .22's, has definite appeal. Maybe it's my background but I try to not alway's dwell on shooting someone.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Terry, you have it right.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raider said:
I can understand being bitter but a person can be so for only so long - then they begin to hate life. Fun is one of the things that makes life worthwhile. Fun, friends and good times. Just plinking or the impromptu target match is a great stress buster. Beats heck out of getting drunk or doing dope.

For the Browning A5 (I have a Belgian one and love it - 12ga) I believe they served as a combat shotgun in either WW1 or WW2 although not standard issue.

RIKA
RIKA, I don't recall reading of them being used in WWI or WWII, but they were used in the Malaysian "Emergency" by the British very extensively. One per squad if I recall. I also saw some Special Forces soldiers carrying cut down ones in the late '60s.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andy said:
If there is no time in your day for fun you have a sad life. My ammunition bill is about $100.00 a month, so what? I usually get some free ammunition for being a line instructor at the local police range, too. I know you can't shoot at all, that's what all this anger is about. Teach? What could you possibly teach anyone? Your not receptive to any suggestions or criticisms, your thinking is so one way you would make the poorest teacher imaginable. And who would be willing to have a three time felon teach them anything? You spend more time on the keyboard than anyone else on this Forum, and this is only one of many you post on. Who do you think your kidding?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
All but five of my fifty odd guns are just"plinking" guns.A few of them I regard as hunting weapons.In a pinch could I use any of them for something messier than punching holes in paper?Well duh.Do I practice with all of them?Yep.Do I spend 1K/yr on ammo & such.LOL!

Do I have a kit ready for ...well,whatever I'd need a kit for?Nope,I'm gonna die in the first wave of zombie attack.:nyah:

Oh,& do I care that some guy 2K miles away thinks that I'm an ijit for not "training"with my weapons in a realistic manner.Nope.

Gun,socket ratchet,shovel-all just tools.Though I admit that playing w/a pistol is more fun than w/a shovel. :duck:

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
I spend on the average of $800- $1,200 a year on brass, bullets, powder and primers. Why? Because I can and because I have the time to shoot. I probably spend another $1,200 a year on travelling to matches, hotels, gas, food, etc. Why? Because I can and because its fun! erika/gunkid, maybe you should get a life.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Raider said:

RIKA
I can't say about WW1, but in WW2 the Army used Remington Mod.11's for anti-aircraft training, as for combat use I can't say.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I spend over 5K a year on shooting. Hell, I'll spend a thousand on entry fees and gas money just shooting matches in state. Why should anyone care? I know guys who spend way more than that on alcohol and tobacco.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
41mag said:
Gun,socket ratchet,shovel-all just tools.Though I admit that playing w/a pistol is more fun than w/a shovel. :duck:

Depends on who you're hitting with the shovel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts