Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sportsmans Guide - Good Guys

This place Sportsman's Guide is great if you know what to expect from them. They offer some really good pricing on items (again if you have shopped around and know a good price when you see it), and they offer a great customer satisfaction guarantee with refunds on almost every item the sell. They say it is on everything but will not take back MREs unless they are truly defective. Other items are taken back simply because you were not satisfied for any reason.

The stuff they sell is sometimes top shelf, other times bargain basement. You have to figure that out for yourself, but it is usually obvious. Ammo from major manufacturers is top shlef and often at a very good price. As I see it, surplus stuff is often bargain basement comm bloc type junk, but sometimes also a real steal for quality stuff. Rgeardless, if you are not happy follow their rules and send it back for a refund.

I have returned items, with no problem, which was good; although I would rather not have had to send it back. I have also ordered plenty that was top notch and no need for a return.

I am a member of their Buyer's Club, at a small annual fee, you get 10 percent off of all your orders.

Maybe right noiw is a time for me to do some Christmas Shopping, see ya...

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I like Sportsmans Guide also. Got some excellent surplus wool blankets from them. Got some fine buys on surplus ammo too.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
They've also got a "sister company" Bargain Outfitters, they sell the same stuff but sometimes one site will have lower prices for the same thing.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i have ordered 'stuff' from GARY 'O' for the last 10+ years!

HE put the 'squezze' on me ,as IF I DID NOT ORDER, i would be dropped!

hah! like we'll see whose ass is the blackest!

i guess he's 'winNing' the blackest ass AWARD!

as i will not 'peruse' his catalog!

[it's just a ME thing]

thanks, for the forum/view/standpoint

·
Registered
54 Posts
i feel that i was screwed a couple times by good old Sportsmans Guide.

bought a NEW UNISSUED Large ALICE pacl with frame from them. found a USED .223 bore brush inside one of the pockets, and wear spots in the pack. i was NOT pleased. the return lable they supposedly sent out never arrived that i recall.

ordered some spanish 9mm ammo, supposedl FMJ, in the sealed battle packs.. looks more like gold spraypaint to me, "military surplus". the price was right, but i wont buy it again. (anyone wants to see a couple rounds, let me know ive got some left)

ordered two 4 position AR buttstock kits for the Rem 870 M&P, with the intention of making the second a gift if it was nice, quality was laughable, CHEAP POS. same order was two of their GI 1911 parts kits i bought for a complete set of spare parts, less the frame... quality was crap in my opinion. sent them back to them with a nasty letter explaining why i was sending their crap back, detailed what was wrong with the parts kits, trigger bows bent up, etc, and included a copy of my shipping receipt, and told them to make sure they credited my CC with the return shipping costs since the items were damaged and crap. well i got refunded the cost of the items, NO SHIPPING either way. called them up, asked WTF, explained in detail why i sent things back, the "woman" i spoke to told me that since i didnt state at first that the items were damaged, she couldnt/wouldnt refund the shipping.. i went rounds with her, still no refund on shipping. SG kept sending me "specials" thru the email, and im also a buyers club member, i kept replying to them telling them how laughable they are, and how much money they are losing, and how NO ONE i knew was ordering anything from them because they screwed me, and i was telling EVERYONE i knew, and making sure they told everyone they knew, and id never order anything from them again because they screwed me on the shipping. well i finally got an email back, they refunded the original shipping, but since by then i couldnt prove what the shipping costs were to send it back, they would not take my word for it. this took something like a year or better.

Sportsmans Guide is on my "DO NOT BUY unless no one else has it, or its too cheap to pass up and i absolutly need it!" list. i dont take kindly to being screwed.

also when dealing with SG ive found it a good idea to know your product as the quality on some things is suspect at best. my own feelings and opinions after dealing with them for 10+ years as well. i HAVE gotten some great deals and great quality items from SG, some real crap too though. and i refuse to even try anything that is "GuideGear". for what its worth, Guides i know go thru Cabella's.

Urban Hillbilly

·
Registered
54 Posts
also i got tired of Sportsmans Guides policy of not shipping tool kits to California, or anywhere else if the person who paid for them lives in California. ive missed out on some nice deals on military surplus tool kits because of their company policies. sorry for the back to back post but i couldnt find an edit button

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
UH, sorry for your bad experience at SG. I've gotten some crap from them but they usually accepted it back and paid shipping return. Last stuff I got from them was Mountain House #10 cans Sweet & Sour Pork w.rice (two with 4 cans still on backorder) with arrived just fine. Not a great fan of SG but like you will order if what I want is only available from them.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I've always had good luck with them. My only complaint is like the Hillbilly said, if you live in a "People's Republic" (MA in my sad case) you can't even get a pocketknife from them. I don't really blame SG, though - I blame the idiots that live in this state that keep reelecting our lawmakers.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I don't really like them.
But it's mostly for their policies.
I hate ordering stuff they say is in stock, then getting an email two days later that it's on backorder. Then I get two more emails, about a month later that it's still on backorder. Then another email a couple weeks later that they've canceled my order because I didn't contact them to keep it open. Then a few days later the item is once again listed as in stock, but at a higher price.

Other than that, I consider them an online army surplus store: i.e. some of the stuff is really good at a great price, other stuff they flat screw you on. You have to know what things really cost, and read their descriptions very carefully, or you get a "great deal" on made-in-China crap that's "like what the military uses" or "military style".

Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just received three mags from them for a Carbon 15 in 9mm. Good price and great turnaround.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
hey,powder-man!,,, 'iffin' ever you wish to ORDER ammo-'on-line'
eric from "ammoman.com",,, is THE REAL DEAL!,,,

,,,{THANKS, RICHIE-Z!,,, fer the 'link'}

:wavey:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Urban Hillbilly said:
also when dealing with SG ive found it a good idea to know your product as the quality on some things is suspect at best. my own feelings and opinions after dealing with them for 10+ years as well. i HAVE gotten some great deals and great quality items from SG, some real crap too though. and i refuse to even try anything that is "GuideGear". for what its worth, Guides i know go thru Cabella's.
Funny, I'll rot in the 9th level of hell for all eternity before Cabella's get another dollar for me. My experiences with them are wirse than your's with the guide. AS far as I am concerned, all of their stuff is JUNK, but it is over-priced junk. SG does have some junk (Hey, the buyer should be smart enough to tell what is high quality and what isn't based on the description and image - I usually can!) since they ARE a milsurp company. That's expected.

What isn't expected is how good their customer service has been to me. I'm always amazed. I've never lost a penny when I've had to send something back. Awesome in my eyes.

Matter of fact, I just got in 50 AK mags for less that $130 shipped. They are used, but some of them are new (or so close to it that you can't tell) or I'll kiss your hairy butt. Awesome quality and deal. I'm more than pleased.

I've never got an order from cabella's that I felt was worth what I paid for it. Never.

KJ

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Never had any problems with Sportsmans Guide merchandise... "Its UPS that pissed me off ! "

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I've never had any problems with Sportsmans Guide either.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Well, I weigh in on this.

You have to read VERY CAREFULY before ordering anything military looking as they do have a lot of ***** junk replicas; "style", "similar" or "type" are examples of red flag words for me in their adds.

Also I would be leary of any of their "Guide Gear" stuff.

Now past that if you know what you are looking for and it's a name brand or well known surplus item you should be good to go with them.

BTW- On Sale or Closeout items it's best to order online from them as the better stuff does go fast.

And, as I'm typing this I'm wearing a pair of New Balance shoes I just got from them 2 days ago. Most of the time I have to order my shoes and they saved me getting them from a place like JC Penney which would have got me for Shipping AND Sales Tax.

·
Registered
71 Posts
About 10 years ago I ordered thirty 50 caliber surplus ammo cans from them. Back then as I recall they were something like 3/$10. The description was very good to excellent used surplus condition. Half of the cans were as described, the other half looked like they were left to rust in the surf.

I called SG and told them the problem. They asked what I wanted, and I told them 15 cans in the same condition as their catalog description, and I didn't want to pay for return shipping on the bad cans.

Ten days later I received five boxes of cans all in excellent condition. I never received a call tag for the other boxes.:shrugs:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Can't complain too much if they make an honest attempt to fix the problem. Yeah, wish they had done it right the first time, but better late than never.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.