Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Stag Arms Stripped Lowers) Has anyone every used or owned any Stag arms products? I was considering building a couple project rifles and was thinking about other members who have built there own and how they decided what componets they would use. Like cost factor. Did you buy parts of many manufacturers to complete the rifle - (Cost Consideration) ? Or did you stay with the manufaturer of the lower you used for a parts source? i.e. fire control parts, uppers , hardware of the same manufacturer etc. etc. I think I'd like to shop around for my parts. Any thoughts from those who have built rifles? Any thoughts about Stag arms quality? Your personal thoughts & experiance would be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
a lower is a lower is a lower. as long as it is not a small pin type or a factory mechanical second. if its a cosmetic second at a lower price i would not worry about what it looks like. i have 2 stag lowers that i got a little while back they appear to be good parts. i will one of these days build a gun on them. make sure they are forged parts, i have seen some cast lowers at the last gun show, the guy was trying to sell as forged at a forged price, glad i don't deal with that crook. :cool:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I disagree NH. In fact I don't think you could be more wrong.

A mil-spec lower is a proper lower and anything else is a proprietary copy.

Most of the time, companies will throw in "mil-spec" to make it look like the whole component is, when in fact its just one aspect of the lower that is spec (such as the coating).

In my experience:

-Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, and some Colt runs (during the ban) are not Mil-Spec Lowers. They either have proprietary dimensions or are otherwise out of spec.
-Armalite, Pre-Ban Colt, LMT, and what Noveske puts out under their own label, are mil-spec lowers.

I don't have hands on experience with Stag or Essential Arms lowers so I can't tell you if they are perfect spec or not.

With that said, in addition to my Noveskes, I own a Bushy 20" and it functions fine. Two of my best friends run RRAs and they work pretty well. I personally ran a RRA 16" for about 3 weeks before I traded it to a friend for some gear and a big dinner because the upper felt weird for some reason or another and the charging handle felt like I'd snap it (he's since replaced the handle, btw). However, the Bushy and the aforementioned other manufacturers lowers are out of spec and parts fit and interchangeability have to be taken into consideration.

I know exactly what to expect with a mil-spec unit and I know that it will always co-operate with mil-spec parts. That knowledge makes me :).

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own a Bushmaster 16" now. I was thinking about using the old post ban bushy upper with the crummy break on it..Put it to good use until I can up grade for a LMT. Maybe these questions I need to ask the manufacturer... I'm not looking to build a match rifle. I figured I'd better get on the stick and buy me a couple lowers before the next election. I want to have fun with the project... before prices go out the roof for AR parts. I was checking out Rock River, Fulton and had sent e-mails for more information. I'm trying to keep the cost in consideration without being to much of a cheap ass. I would like to start out with top notch lowers.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
dw i don't know of anyone who makes a perfect anything muchless a perfect mil-spec component. usually mil-spec components refer to part specifications and finish. due to tolerance stacking all mil-spec components will not fit correctly all of the time. a good example is tight ar lowers. a mil-spec lower is concidered tight if it fits an upper with high end tolerances that require the application of pressure to make the 2 parts fit together. an upper can be on the high end or low end of the tolerances and still be mil-spec. most mil-spec components require a small amount of fitting. ar's are pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to being able to drop in correct componets and not have to fit them. most manfacturers try to stick to the mininmum tolerances so that little fitting if any is required. i have one ar that has a mininum mag well. it can not take all magazines that i have but it is still in spec. the mags that don't work are on the high end of the tolerance range. i could make any mag fit it i wanted to go to the trouble of opening the mag well to the high end of the tolerances. i have seen bushmasters, dpms, armalite, olimpic arms, and colt rifles that all have one problem or another, but are still within spec. for the military. so like i said a lower is a lower is a lower as long as it is forged and not cast. :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Stag is the same as CMT, and CMT manufactures lowers for many different AR companies........including Colt.

It's good stuff.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just to throw in mu .02 real quic.

I've recently gotten a RRA lower at a gunshop.

Picked up a Armalite Lower Parts kit at a gun show along with a M4 stock.

The whole deal went togther and so far functions fine with my Colt M4 Sporter upper.

Though it is a tight fit between upper and lower, but I like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts