Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying out the new ballistic gel my sons bought me for Christmas, one of the loads I put through it was the round that my current carry gun favors, and was pleasantly surprised at how it performed. It’s a standard-pressure 147-grain that only runs ~995 fps from a compact pistol, and being a non-plus-p load with a heavy bullet, only runs 1135-1140 fps even from the carbine. While I do trust that bullet designers are better at designing bullets than I am, I wasn’t completely sure that it would expand at such low-seeming velocities. So to test it, I put it into the gel from the carbine, and saw that my concerns are probably unfounded. From the carbine, it actually over-expanded some, with the petals/arms/talons rolling back past 90 degrees (their biggest-diameter point) and being pushed further back in, back toward the base of the bullet. At slower pistol velocity, they wouldn’t have been pushed that far back; which would have given a larger final expansion. Can’t say what penetration would be from a pistol, but from the carbine it was pretty impressive. Even with the bullet expanding past ideal, it still ran right at 14.75 - 15 inches in the gel block. Penetration in actual flesh & blood is less than in ballistic gel, and 15 inches is a very good gel result.

I’ll try to get the video up this weekend, but fwiw, pics of the bullet at rest in the gel and then removed from the gel. This is Winchester's 147-grain 'Q4429' load, which as far as I've been able to determine is the same load as their RA9T, but in brass cases instead of nickel-plated.

In the gel, just an inch or so short of exiting the 16" block:
Automotive tire Tire Water Wood Plant

And after being removed from the block:
Working animal Terrestrial animal Dog breed Landscape Wood

· Registered
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Three-minute video of Q4429 thru the clear ballistic gel. I recently saw a video of Winchester's newish M1153 mil-spec 147 JHP load being tested by a guy, and it really looks for all the world like this one. Wish I could find some more definitive information on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts