Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no more than an alloy Commander that has been fitted with a steel mainspring housing and a steel ducktail grip safety. The latter weighs 30 ozs. Colt LIES about the lwc being only 26 ozs. It's 27 ozs, fitted with the SHORT tang grip safety. Fill it with 9 rds of 230gr ammo, that adds 6 ozs, too. The P35, full of 147 gr 9mm (ie, 14 rds) weighs 40 ozs. 9 rds of 90 gr jhp's only adds 3 ozs to the BM's 30 ozs. Many "think' that the 147 gr load is the way to go, and nobody carries a double stack mag loaded with less than full capacity. It's the TOTAL wt of gun and ammo that you HAVE to lug around, so that's what COUNTS when evaluating how 'light" or heavy the pistol is. So Guys are FOS when they claim that the Star BM is "heavy". It's a good, solid wt for a 9mm, making it very controlable indeed in rapidfire, given its compact size.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
223 fan said:
no more than an alloy Commander that has been fitted with a steel mainspring housing and a steel ducktail grip safety. The latter weighs 30 ozs. Colt LIES about the lwc being only 26 ozs. It's 27 ozs, fitted with the SHORT tang grip safety. Fill it with 9 rds of 230gr ammo, that adds 6 ozs, too. The P35, full of 147 gr 9mm (ie, 14 rds) weighs 40 ozs. 9 rds of 90 gr jhp's only adds 3 ozs to the BM's 30 ozs. Many "think' that the 147 gr load is the way to go, and nobody carries a double stack mag loaded with less than full capacity. It's the TOTAL wt of gun and ammo that you HAVE to lug around, so that's what COUNTS when evaluating how 'light" or heavy the pistol is. So Guys are FOS when they claim that the Star BM is "heavy". It's a good, solid wt for a 9mm, making it very controlable indeed in rapidfire, given its compact size.
The Star BM does not have the greatest reliabilty record among the single action 9MM's. It is prone to jamming with hollowpoints and TMJ ammunition. A Makarove weighs in at just 22 ounces and has the double action advantage. It also is as reliable as they come. With 115 Grain Hollowpoints it does not give much away to the 9X19MM. It also costs only a $20.00 or so more than the Star. Much, much better pistol than the Star BM. I have shot both, have you?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
223 fan said:
The Star BM does not have the greatest reliabilty record among the single action 9MM's. It is prone to jamming with hollowpoints and TMJ ammunition. A Makarov weighs in at just 22 ounces and has the double action advantage. It also is as reliable as they come. With 115 Grain Hollowpoints it does not give much away to the 9X19MM. It also costs only a $20.00 or so more than the Star. Much, much better pistol than the Star BM. I have shot both, have you?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I second it Terry. Hell, even a 1911 is not to heavy depending on what you are willing to put up with weight.

The Mak in stock form will feed JHPs, the Star won't. I know that cuase I have owned two Star BMs and own one Mak and have shot several others.

To make a BM reliable takes a gunsmith and bucks. What is more the BM is NOT NATO proofed and is only for milder ammo. You will batter a BM to death using plus P ammo. So that puts it not a great deal ahead of a MAK even if you can get it to work with JHPs.

There are pleny of other better 9mms to work with than a BM. All I would use a BM for is plinking. I think the BM means bowel movement, as in POS.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Your fitness level, your clothing style, your body style, your experience with various handgun and holsters all come into play when choosing a handgun. Personally I prefer a steel Combat Commander, with a flat mainspring housing. Not everybody has to like your choice, we can make up our own minds based on our experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts