Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
off, using pen knife, is abetter weapon, offense or defense, than is any big Bowie knife. It's THAT poor, and not worth the effort to carry it around, much less the hundreds of $ a decent one costs. :)They have a very strong appeal to the ignorant "wannabees", that's all. For the same wt and bulk as some "Ron-Hood-approved" clunker knife, sheath, special secret compartment, etc, I can have an SOG Multitool, AND a silenced M21 Beretta .22. :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
off, using pen knife, is abetter weapon, offense or defense, than is any big Bowie knife. It's THAT poor, and not worth the effort to carry it around, much less the hundreds of $ a decent one costs. :)They have a very strong appeal to the ignorant "wannabees", that's all. For the same wt and bulk as some "Ron-Hood-approved" clunker knife, sheath, special secret compartment, etc, I can have an SOG Multitool, AND a silenced M21 Beretta .22. :)
You don't carry a bowie or other decent knife primarily for fighting, you carry it for fieldcraft.

There is a reason that EVERYONE who has spent serious time living in the bush carries a decent knife if given their choice of gear.

How big do you think this knife is?

It's exactly 7" from blade tip to handguard with a 5" handle. That's the same blade length as a USMC Kabar. A 7" blade is NOT that overly huge of a knife. It's pretty much medium size.

You act as if all decent knives cost $300 to $500 when made by someone else. Yet you then brag about what a hotshot metal worker you are and you STILL don't have a decent knife.

How much do you think that knife cost?

The base project knife that I used for the blade cost, new, $75. I paid that much because I liked the shape, it is superb for a wilderness trekking knife, and it was hand forged out of a Mercedes leaf spring, and differentially tempered, by a master craftsman with about 30 years experience.

The spine of this knife is a full 1/4" thick yet it tapers down to a fine slicing and chopping edge.

See how the differential temper shows up after a 3 hour vinegar soak? This means they only fast quenched the cutting edge, so the rest of the blade isn't as hard and it can take abuse. The edge is about Rc59-60.

The steel for the handguard and the buttcap I scavanged off of the door hinge of a totalled out truck cab. The handle is the rear half of a hickory claw hammer handle I got at Home Depot for $3.50, and the 1/4" brass tubing I made the lanyard hole out of cost $1.50 for a foot of it. Add in the cost of some sand paper, a couple of abrasive and sanding disks for the dremel, a package of JB Weld (the handle and buttcap was put on with JB Weld and the rattail tang tip was then peened tight over a hole in the buttcap while the epoxy was still liquid).

OK, so aside from the cost of the base project knife, I spent maybe $15 on extra components plus elbow grease.

The sheath was a piece of a $2 chunck of 1-1/2" PVC pipe, some cordura nylon cloth, some 2" webbing (you can used scavanged automotive seat belts), some thread, a scrap piece of leather, and some automotive weatherstripping adhesive. The adhesive and the fancy belt fastener were the most expensive components on the sheath, but you could just use a belt loop.

YOU always talk about how everyone is so 'cheap', YET you refuse to even spend money on the basics, even when you could make a good deal of it yourself.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
They had decent folding penknives back then too. I'm sure Jim Bridger and Hugh Glass felt that one of those was all they needed. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Agreed, my favorite blade length is about 2.5 to 3 inches.

Or maybe a heavier blade for those choping jobs.

Either way, you can never have enough knives!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Clint Boyer said:
Either way, you can never have enough knives!
Yup.

How do you like that Knives of Alaska set?

All of these but the Leatherman I've had for a long time so they show a bit of wear. The Leatherman just happened to be in the pic I had on hand. I carried a Swiss Champ all of the time up until just a few years ago.

·
Registered
605 Posts
They are a bit bulky to be packing around unless you really need them. Here in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of brush and vines that need hacking.
For everday use I like the Gerber LST. For quicker work and walking around town, I like the Mini reflex Benchmade.

I'm without a multi tool at the moment. I was using a Gerber tool but it pinched my palm so many times that when I left it under a house I didn't go back for it!

I've got a Sharpfinger around here somewhere too, they are great!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If I were to get a new multitool right now, I'd get another Leatherman or I'd get a Victorinox SwissTool. I'd probably give the SwissTool a try. I always carry my multitool with me.

Thick vegetation is what khukuris were made for.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
attn. clint boyer

i've got to respond about your gerber, that leaves the blood welts tattooed on your hand? i left my first one on a job site to be stolen for a reason! ha! i'm on my 3rd supertool, bro.

thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I sure miss having a tool on my belt but I sure as hell don't miss that Gerber! That damn thing bit my palm more then once.
I'll have to invest in a replacement, it sure is handy to have tools so close. Beats carrying a full pouch everywhere or stuffing a couple in the pockets to get lost later.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
I used a Gerber Model 600 multi tool at least 10-20 times a day at work since 1995 and it has treated me very well. Its the best piece of kit ever issued to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts