Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is the Russian 1895 Nagant Revolver. It shoots wadcutter type .30 ammo that costs a gazillion dollars and has a gas seal feature for the cylinder. When you cock it the cylinder actually moves forward and the front part of the recessed cylinder moves into the rear of the barrel eliminating barrel cylinder gap.

Its so darn ugly that its actually cute. Double action trigger pull is probably about 25lbs (easy for a Cossack but hard for anyone else). SA trigger pull may be around 8lbs. Fit and finish are quite good for a wartime revolver made in 1943 in war torn Russia. Reloading is miserably slow because you have to unscrew the ejector rod, swivel it around to line up with the cylinder and poke out the cases one by one. Unlike the Colt SA there is no spring to push the ejector rod out of the way; it must be pulled back manually. Would be easier to use the thing as a club than to reload.

I was kidding about the ammo costing a gazillion dollars - bought a box of 50 at the gunshow for $25 just so I could shoot it with the original ammo. Normally I shoot it with 32 Shorts and Longs that work just fine although the cases split. They say that you can shoot it with 32-20 handloads which I will look into.

So why would a sane person have such an impractical (speaking in modern terms) handgun? Couple of reasons. Its interesting from a mechanical standpoint. More importantly its a piece of history that you can hold in your hand. Whats more the darn thing is still shootable.

Where else can you get a shootable, historical handgun designed 109 years ago for $100.00?

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hmm, I guess the .60 caliber Tower pistol would be my strangest.
Had fun in the palmettos one day with it. loaded it up with those nice, big punkin' balls, and shot it into the palmettos. <ssssssssssssnick-POOF! whack. . .whack, whack, whack. . . . . .whack, whack, whack, whack, whack.............................whack, whack, whack, whack, whack,whack.................................>
Danged Energizer round balls, they just keep going and going and going and. . . .albeit slowly.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hmm, I guess the .60 caliber Tower pistol would be my strangest.
Had fun in the palmettos one day with it. loaded it up with those nice, big punkin' balls, and shot it into the palmettos. ssssssssssssnick-POOF! whack. . .whack, whack, whack. . . . . .whack, whack, whack, whack, whack.............................whack, whack, whack, whack, whack,whack.................................
Danged Energizer round balls, they just keep going and going and going and. . . .albeit slowly.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnum, do you have a real Tower pistol? So neat! Even a repro would be a blast to shoot. I've always wanted to shoot a real duelling pistol.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Not sure, it's an inherited piece, from my maternal grandfather, but if I had to wager, I'd say it's a repro.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Mine's a side by side double barreled .45 Colt or .410 single action derringer. Why I bought it, I don't know. Impossible to hit anything with it in the .45 Colt mode and the .410 is a joke in a two inch barrel. I keep to look at if I start to get to high an opinion of myself.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Darn, I feel inadequate. Nothing really strange to speak of. Maybe the FN Five-SeveN, but that's not all that weird.

I did see a Baby Nambu at a gun show one time that I thought was cute. While I was looking at it someone asked the vendor where it came from. Of course, I quipped "well first you have to get a Mommy Nambu and a Daddy Nambu......" :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Terry, I thought about one of those .45/.410 derringers. But, isn't there something like 1/2" of actual rifling in it? I figured that would kill the .45 Colt and the .410s would be so close to the end of the barrel, it's be like not firing it from a barrel at all. I figured one might be better off getting a straight .45 Colt model and using the CCI shot rounds with it. At least you'd have SOME accuracy with the Colt round (maybe 6- 10 feet, long range for a derringer). Although I'm sure any .45 caliber derringer would scare the hell out of anyone.

What scares me is that American Derringer makes one in .45-70, now if that's not compensating for something, I don't know what is!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Dang, didn't notice I double-tapped earlier.

Rich, I don't really consider mine strange, RIKA's is stranger.
I'm waiting for someone to come up with a needlefire rifle or something like that.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I SUPPOSE MY 1842 ASTON US ARMY SINGLE SHOT PISTOL IS THE MOST EXOTIC.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Jeez... out of my whopping three, it's the P7M8.

cheers

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Terry, I thought about one of those .45/.410 derringers. But, isn't there something like 1/2" of actual rifling in it? I figured that would kill the .45 Colt and the .410s would be so close to the end of the barrel, it's be like not firing it from a barrel at all. I figured one might be better off getting a straight .45 Colt model and using the CCI shot rounds with it. At least you'd have SOME accuracy with the Colt round (maybe 6- 10 feet, long range for a derringer). Although I'm sure any .45 caliber derringer would scare the hell out of anyone.

What scares me is that American Derringer makes one in .45-70, now if that's not compensating for something, I don't know what is!
Forget it Magnum88C, the things a bad joke. Yes, there is rifling in it, but it sure doesen't help. On a Transtar II target at 7 yards I can't get the thing to group within 20 inches. It probably would be intimidating, but I really prefer hitting what I'm shooting at. The control's are so user unfriendly you probably would get shot 5 times with a Raven Arms .25 before you got the thing to work.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
In other words, the .410 derringers are good for rabbit hunting, as long as you can get close enough to stick it in the rabbit's mouth, and then you might get a good pattern?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
when those things came out, i thought i wanted a pair of them with shoulder holsters[no less] and snap shoot quail when they flushed.

i never bought them.[it was a good excuse, for buying them though]

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Magnum88C said:
In other words, the .410 derringers are good for rabbit hunting, as long as you can get close enough to stick it in the rabbit's mouth, and then you might get a good pattern?
Even at muzzle to mouth distance it would be chancy. With the .45 Colt I watched a friend (who is the best shot I know) miss a Transtar I target four times in a row at 21 feet. As an aside, I was looking at this abortion testerday and the firing pin change lever broke off in my hand.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Terry G said:
As an aside, I was looking at this abortion testerday and the firing pin change lever broke off in my hand.
Obviously an andy type was one of the main design engineers.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Terry G said:
Even at muzzle to mouth distance it would be chancy. With the .45 Colt I watched a friend (who is the best shot I know) miss a Transtar I target four times in a row at 21 feet.
In other words, you're better off with a rock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts