Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, you're stuck in the woods let's just be stupid and say for life with only one gun (no oil or cleaning supplys) and spam packs of ammo so you don't have to worry about them going bad. What would you pick and why?

I've thought about this a few times and I keep comming up with the ak47 (China or Russian). I would rather have a 6mm or 6.5x55 round but can't think of a gun that would last forever chambered in either so that's no good.

The AK47 is the one rifle I have that was 10x what I expected. I treat mine like total trash (cause they were so cheap) and have shot A LOT of rounds through it without ANY troubles ever!

Now I know there were good guns of the past be it the M1 of wwII or the M16 of the 70s and while I would agree the M16 is a better gun in many ways I don't think so in the above situation.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the rest of you think.

I'm only speaking from the guns I've shot so I'm sure some of you (really old guys) have a better idea.

Adam

G

·
AR-223, with .22 unit. Quieter foraging

and practice. far easier to actually carry enough ammo. The AK's safety is grievously slow to manipulate. If you have to actually carry that club around, with enough ammo, and the 30-40 lbs of other gear necessary to sustain you, you will quickly come to appreciate the 15 lbs weight savings of the AR, 22 unit, lw ammo, etc. Just use good handloads in the 223, with 30c each Nosler Partition sp's, that's all. Once it's for blood, noisy practicing is over with, you know. So is staying in the same place.

G

·
Ok GK whatever..

SSDD huh,Thats same sh*t different day.Your like a broken record you know that*L*Someone should slap ya to get ya back on track.

This is where you huff and puuf and say come on..you've had an open invitation to come to a campout in missouri for ages and have dodged coming the whole time so save your bluffs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You all are going to leave me no choice but to REQUIRE registration to post on this site. Having people post as "unregistered" is bad enough, but when multiple "unregistereds" are arguing amoung themselves, well that is a bit much.

Is it REALLY all that much trouble to register a logon name?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'd recommend you do just that.

The problem is you have a vistor who will flood your site with worthless drivel, some of which may be ilegal in nature.

At least one of your unregistered guests is the notorious Gunkid.

He was given his own forum at Patriot Network to prevent him from flooding the forums with drivel and insults. People could not carry on a realistic discussion of any topic, as he hijacks threads and turns them into "look at me" rants.

This looks like a very good board, and I'd hate to see it killed by one idiot.

My two cents, and you are free to administer this board as you see fit.

G

·
yep, 2+2 STAYS =4, dont it? those who

are bound by REALITY keep coming back to the same gear, same tactics. The bser's dont spend any money or time on anything, so they feel free to TALK about all sorts of baloney.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gunkid, come on your meds need adjusting again.Tell the good folks here how your a 2 time felon, can't legally shoot anymore, advocate selling and making drugs,also be nice enough to tell the good folks here how you plan if tshtf to prey upon women and kids, robbing them of their possesions, oh and lets not forget you infamous"long pig" statement, how you'l gladly eat other folks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
in the woods ith one rifle, no cleaning supplies, and 50k rounds of ammo, what would i choose. Mmmmmmmm, let me think. I'll need to hunt, maybe fight in a firefight, and i might need a boat paddle, a crutch, or a good club in pinch. Power, finesse, reliability........nah, how about the main criteria, what I like the best. 6.5x55mm, .308 winchester, .22 LR, 5.56x45mm............. oh hell no! Give a good ol' drop block 1875 Sharps in .45 (2 1/2")
heh, in the woods with only one gun, you guys go for broke, i'm going for style.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey if style is the discriminator....

Bows were successfully used for thousands of years before the first musket ball was fired. Oh, and it meets the "Unreggie GK Seal of Approval":
Pros:
1. Silent
2. Forage compliant
3. Used on feral dogs
4. Takes care of the occasional pesky sentry
5. Can be used in a riot scenario. (Well, at least once)
6. Eliminated the argument of velocity v. mass

Cons:
1. Requires two hands
2. Can't hit 10" plates attached to a screaming madman at 200m.

Sounds like a good trade-off to me. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
All that ammo and no place to go.......hmmm that would be ok, but if I had to lug ammo I am going with a .22LR period! Now for the choice of firearm - lets eee, a 10/22 might be nice but if it had to last give me a bolt action any day. Of course I could always get in better shape and carry heavier ammo. if I did that I'd opt for a rifle in .308 - also probably a bolt action. Lots more durable than a semi auto. Yet I am drawn back to the 10/22 and the fact I could fit 500 rounds in one pocket. Yeah my 10/22 has taken a licking and keeps on ticking, so I guess maybe I would go against my own better judgement and grab that over a bolt action.

G

·
One rifle

.. the sks, in 7.62x39 is a superior, dependable weapon. Machine rate is excellent, target aquisition is quick and the rifle will stay on target at short and medium ranges, yielding groups of less than 6" at 100 yards under rapid-fire (hand-held) conditions with factory rounds, especially with the ported flash supressor. One of these will exhibit no discernable deterioration of accuracy or function after cycling 120 rounds as quickly as the operator is able.. 7.62x39 rounds are inexpensive, universally available and pack a punch.

Magazine replacement is not best, takes practice. These weapons are supposedly built to fire 250,000 rounds (MTBF).

Have not seen one of these nice, affordable rifles in quite a while.

TexasGus

G

·
Well,if I have to carry the ammo and am not going to have to deal with large numbers of bad guys almost any good 22 l.r. bolt rifle will keep me in camp meat .If bad guys in any quantity are to be expected I am going to practice "target denial" and try to stay out of their way.You can kill a man very handily with a 22 rifle IF he doesnt know you are there.A savage 24c might be a real good choice here too.VERY interesting question.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
My .308 M1A with its 2x-7x variable scope. It is the closest thing to an all round rifle that I have. A little light for elepnants and a little heavy for varmints, but it will do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being one of those "old guys" I think,given that really bad scenario,I will use an 03-a3 springfield.Lots of power,good sights,easily maintanable in the field,and it carries oil\cleaning equipment in the butt trap.{always cheat } It is heavier than I would like,but what can you do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Whoa!

:) Hey, what's going on here? I'm logged into half a dozen firearm related websites. Quite honestly, 'ArmsLocker' seems to be one of the more interesting, more open-minded, nicest looking, and better managed sites. But, hey, every registered user at this site has to live with, both, a, 'business rating' as well as a, 'warnings rating.' That's unusal security for any website to employ!

My 2 cents is that if everyone else is willing to live by these rules, then, EVERY POSTER should be required to do the same thing. If a poster is too secretive to be willing to provide the administration with both his e-mail address and legal name, then, as far as I'm concerned, let him take his covert postings somewhere else. Everyone should be required to play by the same rules! This is a protection to each of the registered users, as well as a protection to this site - itself. Thread, 'Hi-Jacking' should not be allowed; and, at least, the website administrators should be aware exactly who each of us is. (Yes, I know, 'ArmsLocker' has the ability to log user IP's.)

I hope, 'ArmsLocker' never ends up like a few of the other websites that could have a lot to offer shooters, but are, otherwise, predominated by a few anonymous loudmouths, or locked into a mindless particular brand fixation; i.e.: 'There's nothing wrong with my GLOCK - not now, not ever!' I know I've heard enough of, 'It had to be the ammunition!' or, 'His finger had to be on the trigger!' (Yeah, and, 'Kabooms!' only happen to other people. Just like, 'AD's,' 'ND's,' or whatevers! They're going down in number, you know; which is great - as long as YOU are not that number!) ;)

G

·
the hell it does.

it has neither stopping power nor repeat hit speed, nor practical accuracy. A .22 pocket pistol, with a suppressor, is so superior to a bow that the comparison is a joke. It's concealable, too, unlike a bow. It's swift to access from an "out of the way" position, unlike a bow. It's EASY to hit a 2" mark with, at 10m, unlike a bow.

They had no lube or cleaning supplies on the frontier, so they MADE soap, used BOILING water to clean the gun, used whale oil, beeswax and lard to lubricate things. Maybe YOU can't figure out how to do the same, but others can.

Punks like you HIDE behind the Net, and behind the fact that I'm still on Fed Parole, that's all. I'd have shut you up 5 years ago if that weren't the case. :)

G

·
50,000 rds of centerfire rifle ammo,

fired at WHAT, dummies? :) If the .22 wont suffice, it's cause you screwed UP, 90+% of the time, and you will NOT get away with doing that very much. You wont HAVE dozens of other guys to take up the slack for your ineptitude.

G

·
50,000 rd is 1200 lbs of 223

even 5% of that means you ca'nt carry it. So you get stuck in one place, and that means death, long before you will have any reall use for 500,much less 5000 rds. There aint gonna BE any Uncle Sugar to come evac you, after you've bitten off more than you can chew, dummies. or bring help, med care, or more ammo, guns, etc. So you have to be discrete and careful, and that means VERY little noisy shooting, and very little of that which a .22 conversion kit can't handle.

G

·
Having 50,000 rounds at hand would be quite nice. No one said that they would have to remain in the same place, did they? Just as I would have food, water and other essentials stashed at more than one location, I too would spread out my ammunition. This would prevent some things such as: my dependence on one location alone as my source of resupply, my having to constantly return to one spot so as to pattern myself and make myself easier for a bad guy to track back to my supplies, my worries about a theft of all of my ammo and other supplies in one fell swoop by an enemy, my not having anyplace to run to should running to become necessary.

Yes, that many rounds could be agood thing indeed, so long as I had placed them in well chosen locations for security, and so long as they were accurate enough to be placed in well chosen locations for defense. Almost any rifle round would do so long as rifles that chamber it would be readily available...

All the best,
Glenn B.

G

·
Wow!Thanks Mr.Unregistered/unsigned!You are obviously expierienced in this sort of thing.
What I want to know is what kind of dip[bleep] would want to be stuck with a .22pistol for life in the woods?That little plinker may be quiet but how well are you gonna eat shooting sub-sonic 22lr?
Carry the .22 rifle or maybe better a .223 w/sub caliber insert.
The idea for either a sks or ak variant has merit as well.If you can afford 50k rounds & can cache them in various places there is no reason that you couldn't also stash a few sks's too.
As for the bow idea?Personally I'd have to pass.I confess to ineptitude with the things.
As for the Springfield?You bet!:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts