Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refuse to call them "cans".

I am seriously considering one for my new M4.

I know some here have them and any info is appreciated.

Can anyone walk me thru the process, and how much can I expect to spend?

Is this like a class 3, where I basically give up my rights against unreasonable searches?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You must get a sheriffs signature on a form from the BATF.
The tax stamps are 200$.
BATF still must approve you, kinda like FFL liscence process.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Kent, you don't give up your 4th Amendment rights. That is a myth.

Yes, suppressors are title 2 or NFA. You must as DarkWolf mentioned, get a sheriff sign off, pay the tax stamp and get approval from the ATF.

As for what to expect to pay.... you can go anywhere from a couple of hundred for an abortion of a suppressor like what Tard promotes or you can spend up to $1000 for a high quality state of the art can that will out last any gun that it is put on.

Personally, I am partial to AWC. Lynn and Judy have always gone above and beyond for me and everyone else I know who deals with them. They are great people and will treat you right. Just tell them that Mike in Virginia sent you and you'll be happy.

623-780-1050

Mike

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
HR, have you heard anything about SWR suppressors? (swrmfg.com)There is a vid of their .308 one and with subsonic ammo, it's real, real quiet.

I also know Larry at ccfa.com makes some great ones for pistols. (http://ccfa.com/CarbonFiber.htm)

Cool thing about AWC is that they're about 30 min away from me, haven't had the chance to check them out yet, however.

cheers

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I really like my Advanced Armament M4-2000; www.advanced-armament.com

It’s pretty small (1.5” x 7”) and relatively light (23 oz, iirc), and works very well. I especially like the fact that it uses a quick-mount with a proprietary flash-hider, rather than using the AR’s fine muzzle threads. Using its flash-hider mount, even though the unit’s 7 ½” long, it only adds 5” to the overall gun length when attached.

It’s got a lifetime warranty for even belt-fed full-auto fire, so with the strictly semi-auto fire I use mine for, it should last an awfully long time. Zero maintenance; no disassembly for cleaning, “re-packing”, etc. Just the occasional soak in a container of Simple Green once every 1000-2000 rounds or so, and that wouldn’t even be necessary so often if I didn’t shoot so many .22LR’s out of it. (22’s foul it MUCH quicker than the .223’s do; which surprised me at first. The .223 tends to ‘blow’ the crud out of the unit, where the .22lr just ‘tosses’ the crud into the unit, where it lands & builds up.)

Be aware that a suppressor does increase back-pressure, which means a faster cycle time and more crud blown toward your face around the AR’s charging handle. They make charging handles with slightly-oversize back plates for just this reason, but I haven’t put one on mine (yet). Faster cycle time also can have effects on function; just something to keep in mind.

AWC, ArmsTech, and Gemtech are all ones that I’ve never heard bad things about, although I have no personal experience with any of them.

Cost of mine was around $950 or so, when all was said & done. Sales price was $625 for the basic suppressor, $50 for the black finish (rather than silver), $200 ATF tax, shipping, sales tax, etc…

Gotta confess, they’re addictive. I put off buying one for years, and now that I have one, I shoot the foo out of it now, and have another (.22 pistol, integrally-suppressed) on order.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the sheriff signing off on it, do they interrogate, or just check background?

The price was about what I expected. Not too unreasonable.

Where does one get the stamp? Is the stamp/sheriff signature a 1 time deal, or do it for every suppressor bought?

How long did you have to wait for approval?

Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Kent said:
As far as the sheriff signing off on it, do they interrogate, or just check background?

The price was about what I expected. Not too unreasonable.

Where does one get the stamp? Is the stamp/sheriff signature a 1 time deal, or do it for every suppressor bought?

How long did you have to wait for approval?

Thank you all for the input.
1 - Sheriff doesn't check background; just signs off that 'as far as he knows', you're not buying it with criminal intentions. The ATF does background check afterward. Couldn't say if the sheriff generally interrogate or interview, or just rubber-stamp the applicaitons; I'm on a first-name basis with the sheriff. (I work for him.) He just asked me what it was & signed it both times.

3 - Stamp is issued by ATF, and comes back with your paperwork when you're 'approved'. Stamp is new $200 for each suppressor.

4 - Wait was October-to-June for the first one; eight months. Sent the paperwork in for the second one this past May, and no response yet; eight months now, hopefully will come soon.

One clarification - we've all been constantly saying "sheriff". The paperwork actually says "chief law enforcement officer" for your area. If you live inside a city limits, this should be the police chief; outside the city limits, it should be the sheriff.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, John.

Really dragging their heels on this, arent they?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
SWR is pretty good. I've owned a few of their cans in the past but like I said, I'm partial to AWC... the reason is, I found out years and years ago that going cheap is more expensive in the long run. With that in mind, I realize that if the SHTF, I had to put a price tag on my life and the lives of those I care about. I decided that no price is too high. Hence, I don't buy or make cheap shit like the Tard.

Mike

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
thanks guys...

if you could look over ccfa.com and give me your thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Larry, the guy that works there is cool as ice and I've heard that if you give him a ring, he'll talk suppression alllll dayyy...

cheers

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Gunkid, please tell us what agencies or military units are using your designs????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts