Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big fan of having a surefire forend on an HD shotgun. A bright light w/momentary and constant on has a lot of uses in a close range shooting scenario w/the lights out. You can momentarily blind and disorient an assailant, make a positive ID in the dark (high priority for HD), sweep a room, or use it for rapid target acquisition all w/out giving early warning to a potential attacker (using momentary on). I like the fact that the controls (esp. the momentary on) don't make you change your grip on the firearm to operate them. What I don't like is the $200-$300 price tag you find on them. I consider that a good price range for a new, or used, shotgun...not an accessory. I'm also not a fan of 123A lithium batteries. Too pricey, non-standard, and chances of scrounging up any on the fly are nil. So, anybody here know where to find one cheaper or know if anybody makes a good quality alternative? I've standardized my emergency supplies like radios and flashlights on AA batteries as it makes for quick and easy shopping and stockpiling w/out hurting my wallet so, alternative options requiring AA batteries are to be considered a plus.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
123A's are presently the standard for lights, laser/IR modules (of new manufacture), and night optics. They last longer than AA's, provide more power, and come in a smaller package. You will not find a light equivalent in power to a Surefire or Insight Tech offering anywhere near their size range; and even then Surefire will probably have an edge in durability regardless.

It's not what you want to hear, but spending $300 on a light is a comparable expenditure to spending $1000+ on a scope for a precision rifle; you can cut costs but performance and durability suffers. Surefire is the place to go for lights and, at least in that field, make a product that can be depended on to perform.

The cheapest solution is to clamp a handheld light onto a portion of your mag tube, run wiring, and a affix a pressure pad to the operating handle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My morning ramble disguised as a post

Surefires (pelican ect) are specialized equipment. The are bright as all get out for the momentary push of a button. They are not much for looking for something that rolled under your bed as the batteries will wear out in a hurry. The 123A battereis are becoming more common (used in camera flashes first I believe). It's just one of those items I stock up on. I have a few. I keep one in each vehicle (for possible CQB) and on my weapon. AA flashlights are ok for the simple stuff but not on my weapons. For self defence (security guard once upon a time) I've carried the night watchmen C & D sized giants, but I haven't seen one of those mounted for a long long time.

It's a cost benifit analysis. Is it worth it for you? It is for me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, poop. I was pretty sure that's what I was going to hear. I guess I was hoping for something kind of like the EOTechs that run on AA's but, in a forend light. I realize that 123A's have become the standard in most NVD's etc. but, if I purchase a surefire forend it would be the only device I have powered by them. I guess I'll have to buy that 6P defender, after all...just to keep it company. Oh, just to kinda defend my personal choice of AA's batteries...AA lithiums have the same shelf life and provide nearly the same power as 123A lithiums but, also come in a rechargeable version that, combined w/a solar battery charger will provide years more service under adverse conditions than any 123A lithium. Plus, you have the option of picking up adt'l supplies of them, whether they be alkaline or lithium, at nearly any store in the country.

·
Registered
420 Posts
No I don't work for surefire but...

There is a rechargable 123A if you like:

http://www.surefire.com/B65-Rechargeable-Battery

and recharger

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...br=6&prrfnbr=213&sesent=0,0&search_id=1756588

I nearly bought it once upon a depolyment. No arguement AA are world wide but if it's household/SHTF usage your after this wouldn't be a bad idea (IMO).

Also since we're talking surefire I recomend: The LED head. Expensive? Yeah but it takes a bit more of a licking and lasts a bit longer. So if SHTF and my life depends on it has the most toughness I can get. [I'd rather have $0 in the account and my gear working than $10,000 and nonfunctional gear.]

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...r=6&prrfnbr=1168&sesent=0,0&search_id=1756598

And if you're running NVGs don't forget the IR cover:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...br=6&prrfnbr=869&sesent=0,0&search_id=1756606

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[I'd rather have $0 in the account and my gear working than $10,000 and nonfunctional gear.]
I understand what you're saying Unalist. I too would rather have and not need than need and not have but, home invasions and shtf events aren't everyday concerns...not in my neighborhood, at least. While I try to prepare for a number of terrible things that could possibly happen I also have to continue to survive in a world where more mundane things are certainly going to happen. Buying food, diapers, gas, and having a place to live are some things I have to consider daily. So, I'd rather be warm and fed w/a $200 shotgun behind the headboard and $500 pistol in the nightstand than starve to death in the street clutching thousands of dollars worth of gear I may never really need. While I am truly happy for those folks who can spend $300+ w/out any concerns on what is, essentially, a toy...I am not so blessed. That light is going to cost more than many of my firearms and take me some time to save for because I continue to be buried under rather large and very unexpected expenses.

·
Registered
261 Posts
heliophobic1 don't limit your thinking to just a Surefire light system, there are many creative ways to accomplish what you want for much less money. I know somebody who went to Walmart bought a two piece scopemount, a set of one inch rings, both were Leupold I think, and used one part of each to mount a Surefire G2 flashlight to his rifle. All total, light included he had about $70 in his project and it didn't look bad at all. it worked great for him **** hunting. Just twist the cap for constant on, push the momentary button for momentary and screw of enough to disable the light if necessary.
Here is another idea from a company I have bought from in the past:
http://www.botachtactical.com/tlp2.html
They also have rails for an 870 slide. One warning on the rails on a shotgun slide: Cover all unused and exposed rail before firing, because when you are not looking, they will bite you when the gun recoils it may not be the first shot that you fire, but the rails will bite you.
Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
With a little ingenuity, some common tools, and a few parts from Radio Shack, you could fabricate what you wanted. Use a Mag-lite (eats AA batteries). Drill a hole to feed small gauge wire into the casing at say the base end. Get the wire, metal foil (thin copper sheet would be best), some solder to join the wire to the 2 plates, insulating material to separate the plates, and a flat, momentary micro switch. Use LED light retrofit or a LED Mag-lite for brightness. Put it all together, mount it on the gun and screw the cap to on. When you hit the button, it goes on and when you release, it goes off. It is NOT the equivalent of a Surefire rig, and wouldn't be pretty, but it doesn't cost nearly as much either and satisfies your single battery type requirement.

EDIT: Better seal the holes with silicone to keep the light watertight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts