Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was over at SureFire's website with a problem with one of thier tac lights and got to looking around. I found these SF-MAG5-60,
High-Capacity Magazines, 60-Rounder STANAG for the AR family.

http://www.surefire.com/SF-MAG5-60

I wish it had an exploded diagram to evaluate the potential funtionality. Anyone have any info one these? If they send me one I'd gladly test it for them...

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a huge discussion over them at M4Carbine.net. They also have a 100 round version that just looks huge in the length department. I used to carry 30 rounders in the ammo pouches and keep a 20 in the rifle all the time to keep it light and less bulky. I guess some people still preach the volume of fire over precision. The joke is, a single round causing a single casualty is more demoralizing than a hail of bullets hitting 3 people.

I am not saying an AC130 Spectre or an A10 Warthog showing up at the right moment isn't going to change attitudes, but less is more when it comes to small arms.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either you mentioned carrying a 20 rounder in the gun a long time ago or I started doing that independantly. Thanks for the tip about M4Carbine.net's discussion.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Someone made a 9mm or .45acp gun with a mag that looked like that back in the 70's. I believe it was the Spectre, but it may have been the Demro Wasp. Not sure how well it worked; never used one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Either you mentioned carrying a 20 rounder in the gun a long time ago or I started doing that independantly. Thanks for the tip about M4Carbine.net's discussion.
I don't think I have mentioned it on here in the past. It just seemed to me 200 rounds versus 210 rounds, there aren't many firefights where ten rounds would make a difference either way.

·
Forum Moderator
89 Posts
If you need more than 30 rounds per magazine you might as well just go with one of these.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you need more than 30 rounds per magazine you might as well just go with one of these.
I think I will pass on the C-Mag, they are pretty big, bulky, heavy (even when they are empty) and from my understanding, require more maintenance than a regular 20 or 30 round magazine. It might be fun for a range toy, but I definitely wouldn't want to stake my life on one.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I got curious & looked it up. It was the spectre (a 9mm submachine gun with top-folding stock), but it was in the 80's, not the 70's. These are 50-rounders:

Not sure how well they worked.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I don't like them. The one I tried I could deal with the weight but the rounds rattled back and forth when I moved. I also heard they required alot of maint.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Looks great if your house clearing in Stalingrad!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts