Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stillwater said this on another thread:

In this case, contemporary standards is this community, as exhibited on this forum. This forum is a sociological microcosm, thus the derived term of contemporary Community Standards.
If you agree, are there some inferences that we can make about people going from a situation where there are rules, to one where there are no rules... or a lot less rules than before?

While the first observation is that this is a ridiculous question because in reality there is a true need to survive, I'm talking primarily about how the actions of the individual change as the laws decay.

When people see the behaivor of members in their group change (i.e. "get ugly"), can this alter the dynamics... the relationships... of the group, creating a potential threat to survival... whether it's personal survival or survival as the group as a cohesive unit? (if the group breaks apart, doesn't personal survival also become a serious issue?)

I realize that serious times (survival) call for serious behaivor, but, I feel that there is a common underlying psychology that remains the same when a person deals with adversity, whether it's online or in reality.

cheers

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
I think that your going to end up with a discussion of personal ethics then. If the balloon ever does go up, I believe people of a variety of different beliefs will band together. Over time though these groups could split up over moral and ethical lines. Those that are unfit or contribute little to the groups survival will be cast aside. I see the "lone wolf" scenario, leading to a very short life expectency.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Absolutely concur with Garand. It's been proven time and time again that a group of men or women or both, will survive in a hostile environment better than individuals do. Call it group strength, security in numbers, or just keeping the will to go on because you have another face to look at. How do you demoralize someone? Isolate them. In a cell or on an island or out in the bush.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Look at just about every survival situation that has been written about where there was more than one survivor. Just about never did they split up into lone wolf singles unless they were kicked out! Remember the surviors in the Andies that had to resort to canabalizm? Did any of they say 'to hell with it" and walk off with all the food? I have several books about true survival incidences and no one acted like gunkid. Zero. When he talks about people only doing with is in their interest he forgets 99.99 percent of the people are smart enough to know survival in groups is much more likely than being alone. All they need is a few people with some leadership and they will do fine.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
the ticks who NEED a mind to feed off of on the Net, need such a mind a LOT more when real survival is at stake. The mere MENTION of their hosts leaving them behind is enough to set them into a frenzy.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You should know. You have been banned from more shooting forums than anyone else on the internet.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Let's see, my schedule for today, did some laundry, went to the bottle recyclers, went shooting, went to the bank and paid bills,grabbed lunch at a fast food place, reloaded some .44. Yep, I even visited the internet during a couple of occasions. I have a life, you obviously don't.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
the ticks who NEED a mind to feed off of on the Net, need such a mind a LOT more when real survival is at stake. The mere MENTION of their hosts leaving them behind is enough to set them into a frenzy.
NUTTY JOHN, since you say [b[]ticks need a mind to feed off of,[/b] on the net, you obviously weren't talking about your self. Why, because all we see from you is your worthless junkyard ramblings.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
NUTTY JOHN, since you say ticks need a mind to feed off of, on the net, you obviously weren't talking about your self. Why, because all we see from you is your worthless junkyard ramblings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ETHICS

Someone with strong personal ethics has those same ethical standards with or without " rules ". This sort of person does not need the group to tell him/her right from wrong even though they can work well within a group.
However, God help us when a coward with a mean streak has his group imposed controls lifted this sort of thug just doesn't care who they hurt, at least until someone comes along and deals with them with extreme prejudice.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Yeah? Well bring it ON, punk. Durango CO MacDonalds. Name the time and day, and We'll SEE who's the coward, inept, etc.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Whats this with McDonalds? Did the Mrs finally make you get a job? Do you really want to get your butt kicked in front of your coworkers?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why is the challange appx 60 miles away from where you live in Pagosa Springs?

Why haven't you lived up to your anytime anyplace challange you threw out?

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
He might be trying to hook it in with a trip to his parole officer to save gas money? Or being that he has admitted he can't read a map, McDonalds might be centrally located for him?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
There is no MacDonald's in Durango, there is a McDonalds.

Why not just meet at the Pagosa Springs McDonalds? You know over on Talisman?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Now back to the original issue; I think that in any SHTF situation where there are fairly large numbers of people who come together, there will be cohesion. This banding together may even be between groups that would normally not comingle as the saying goes "war makes strange bedfellows". It would be for the advantage of the group to conform to some sort of regulation in order to thrive, so that would likely take place. It may not hold in every case, but people in groups will better survive. it is also a known fact that people who have the psychological ability to form bonds with others while in stressful situations - those who play well with others - are those more likely to come out of it without post traumatic stress syndrome. Those who try to go it alone ala Rambo or Andy are those who usually develop post traunatic stress syndrome if they survive at all. And yes the implication I am making is they are the ones less likely to survive, and this is a known fact in the great majority of such cases.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
u don't know crap. The tribes, etc, hang together because of blood and marriage ties between EVERYBODY. What YOU bozos ALL "think" is that you are gonna be the big boss, and everybody's going to do whatever you say. The reality is that your best friend is going to shoot you in the back, over one thing or another.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
It's just going to be a random mix of whoever didn't get shot, die of disease, etc. YOur entire family is very likely to be history inside of a month, and so are YOU. :)

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
It does sound like the fantasy is getting a little paranoid. Yes people will band together, and it will be very obvious which member is a "waste of rations" very quickly. That person/s will find themselves out on their butt very quickly. If they pose a threat to the community, they could end up very dead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts