Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occured to me that surviving in the city wouldnt be such a bad idea (depending on the circumstances). Youve got access to food for a fair while, youve got established shelter with heat, electricity, and water (assuming its still working; unlikely but possible) utensils of all kinds, you dont have to worry about the weight of a pack or anything, and a home could easily be fortified for defence; and most houses have a fire extinguisher in case some amateur arsenist comes knocking. Youd also be with your family; Your surrounded by neighbors and friends with the same kind of preparations (most families have at least earthquake supplies). You'd have your choice of whatever weapons you have on hand, too; no need for the "do all weapon and ammo" that one requires in a bugout situation. Of course, this isnt to say that it would be a better idea than heading for the hills; just an interesting alternative. Largely depends on the scenario.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've given this scenario a lot of thought myself.The biggest hurdle I can see is w/those neighbors who don't either want to "play" or don't want to share.

Building a pretty decent wall around a block with (now useless) cars & trucks shouldn't be that hard.The only real problem,besides large scale defense,is the cold.While it's true that you can demolish a house to burn for heat.It takes a fireplace of some sort to make it worthwhile.Todays temps in the single digits point out how miserable the lack of central heat would be.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I can see how the neighbors would be a problem too, particularly the ones who think they deserve some of your stores and are willing to do nothing in return. A very low profile would be a must. Would be thinking about getting out of city as soon as I could.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
If the balloon goes up, everything depends on the scenario that plays out. Only a dipstick would have hard and fast rules with no possibility of flexibility. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
“Ed-zackry…” Since none of us has an infallible crystal ball, keeping different options open is a very good idea.

The only trees that survive the hurricanes, are those that can bend whichever way the wind blows. The rest either snap or are up-rooted; either way, they die.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Everytime I find myself in a city I feel like I'm just surviving, can't wait to get my business done and "bug-out". It's a bitch just getting my pick-up in and out of parking garages, they weren't meant for crewcab Powerstrokes.

Wife likes to hang out, do some shopping, go out to nice restraunts, we get to Denver a couple times a month and usually stay at the Brown since it's downtown near the natural gas companies I do business with.

I'm happy my WY carry permit is good in CO now.

Teuf,

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife's not the hell or high water survivalist, but she talked about us getting a couple hundred acres (I know of a place in CO that sells land in tracts ranging from 100 acres to 70,000 acres) and bringing in certain people to amke a commune type lifestyle. I've always groaned whenever she talks about it cause I know some of the people she'd like to bring along, but thinking on it, if you could PICK your neighbors for this scenario, you'd probably do pretty well for yourself.

Any thoughts?

And I wish Kansas would get their butts in gear. We don't have carry permits here. They're talking about it, but only for retired and off-duty military or police. Who are they to say that a gun in my hands makes me any less competent than the self-righteous, corrupt police of Wichita. :hot: I may just be a Pizza Delivery Driver, but two of my co-workers have been robbed in the last 6 months. I may not make a lot of money right now, but I don't take kindly to thoise taking what I DO have.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Start hammering on the right politicians. It took years to get CCW in Missouri, but they finally have it now, too.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just carry a collapsable baton.

Those things are the best, go for the collarbone and muscle groups and he is NOT getting back up again.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I used ot liv ein Kansas for 35 years. We hav ehammered them left and right and it is always vetoed by the Gov. I even lived in Wichita and man that was like the wild west. Get the hell out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I DID actually get out for a year, but because of the cost of living being so much higher out west, we had to move back. Housing, food, vehicles, gas... it's all cheaper here. Right now, gas is at $1.59/gal and I can buy 3 times the house for the money out here. But you're right, this place sucks. As soon as I've got my finances in order, I'll be getting myself one of those large tracts of land in CO and sayin adios to this crap hole.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Coyote said:
Just carry a collapsable baton.

Those things are the best, go for the collarbone and muscle groups and he is NOT getting back up again.
Which are often illegal to carry, carrying the same penalty as a firearm.

A friend of mine has hit people with his 21" ASP on several occasions. He wasn't very impressed, and now carries a blackjack instead.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I agree with Garand. Keep your plans and gear as flexible as you possibly can and try to be ready for anyone of dozens of possible scenarios.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
big chunks of CO are SUPER expensive. I wouldn't give a dime a mile for most of it, or anywhere in the Country north of where I live. I can hike out of the snow here, in a day or so.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
We've got 40 acres we'll sell ya. it has power and phone to it, a good sized propane tank and a good well. We just spend 10k on a better road up to it. Somebody had a couple of trailers on it for Y2K, a garden, ducks, deep cycle batteries, solar etc, I see elk, bear cougar tracks in the snow every year, and there's lots of turkeys up there. $175k will take it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
YOur puss gut cound not hike anywhere in a day except down to the store for mor esmokes.

Keep living the lice butt pirate.

YOu want to sellus 40 acres? Anybody here feel safe :

A. Doing buisness with the tard and family?

and

B. Having guntard as a neighbor?

YOu really think we are that stupid?

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Your going to hike out 40 miles in the winter?? What type of snowshoes do you own? How often do you practice with them??

·
Registered
750 Posts
Get with the program Garand!

It's a "conceptual" winter hike, he could do it if he had too but doesn't have to do it yet.

That means he doesn't need real snowshoes at all, beside he saw some once on an L.L.Bean sweater model in a catalog, so he would just steam bend some northern ash, cut some raw hide cord and whip some up.

Teuf,

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Teufelhund said:
Get with the program Garand!

It's a "conceptual" winter hike, he could do it if he had too but doesn't have to do it yet.

That means he doesn't need real snowshoes at all, beside he saw some once on an L.L.Bean sweater model in a catalog, so he would just steam bend some northern ash, cut some raw hide cord and whip some up.

Teuf,
Or he could just take the photo of the sweater model to bed with him and stay warm in a conceptual sense.

RIKA :nyah:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Guppi said:
I DID actually get out for a year, but because of the cost of living being so much higher out west, we had to move back. Housing, food, vehicles, gas... it's all cheaper here. Right now, gas is at $1.59/gal and I can buy 3 times the house for the money out here. But you're right, this place sucks. As soon as I've got my finances in order, I'll be getting myself one of those large tracts of land in CO and sayin adios to this crap hole.
NUTTY JOHN'S 175K price, is exactly twice what that 40 nacre property is worth. NUTTY JOHN and his BLUSHING? BRIDE, should pay you 175K, to live next to them.

If you really would want to check out property in Pagosa Springs, CO, just key it in ...

Go here, http://realtor.com/ ,and see what property is worth all over the nation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts