Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I’m new to the board. Some background; I’ve been in the Army for 18 years, have seen combat and have been shooting and hunting for 25 years.

I don’t make a lot of money; so consequently, I don’t have a lot of firearms. My carry / defense gun is a 1911 10mm. The cost of ammunition prevents me from shooting nearly as much as I would like, and frankly as I get older it’s starting to feel heavier and heavier.

To the meat if it… I have decided on the SW99, now I can’t decide on the .40 or the .45, I know the benefits/arguments for each as far as “stopping” power. My problem is this, I just like the .45, and I have no particular reason. However, I would like my wife to shoot also and the .45 is a bit too much for her. I really don’t thing the .05 and 30 to 50 grains I’d give up would make any difference in a life or death situation in either case. I am a very good shot, even under fire. In home I use glassier rounds anyway. Can you see I’m trying to talk myself into this? Any thoughts would be great, thanks…

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If your wife will be shooting it I'd want to make sure that she is comfy with the grip on that gun too.As long as she is comfortable with the grip it's quite probable that she will like shooting the 45.
The last I checked 45acp ball is less $ than 40 s&w too.;)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I like the looks and feel of the SW99, but honestly the trigger pull just downright sucks. Every one I have tried was very gritty and mushy feeling. I don't know how many times I had convinced myself I wanted to buy one of these guns but changed my mind after trying out the trigger pull yet again.

G

·
SW99 vs SW1911

I was just at the S&W Training Academy in Springfield, MA yesterday. I rented both the SW99 (.45 ACP) and the SW1911. Didn't like the SW99 at all compared to the SW1911. SW99 rattled and the trigger pull was EXTREMELY long and mushy. The SW1911, on the other hand, was crisp and a joy to shoot.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I'd sell the 10mm,get an alloy framed

compact, used, Springfield 1911, in 9mm,and either 9x23 winchester barrel and magazine, for more power and reliable function, or a .45 slide group, mags,etc,along with a .22lr conversion unit.

Either that,or sell it, and get a $150,used, Buckmark Browning .22, 4" skinny barrel, a $200 Star BM 9mm compact for practice, and a $350 Star PD .45, alloy compact for carry. The BM 9mm is 7.2" and 28 ozs, the PD .45 is 7.2" and 25 ozs, with adjustable sights. Both are very similar in feel and operation to the 1911. You can probably get at least $600 for the 10mm, from a private party, $500 from a dealer, so you wouldn't be out that much, and youd have a lot more versatility, ccw comfort, lower cost ammo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh you have so many good options! I really don't think you give up much in switching to .45 1911's or at least getting one as an understudy practice piece for your 10mm. Walmart has value pack 100 rd boxes that are a pretty good bargain for .45 acp.

Since you kept looking for a lighter option like the SW99, I will commit heresy and suggest you see if you can find a place to rent and shoot some Glocks. 1911's and Glocks are about the only pistols that really interest me anymore (30 plus years of toying with many many different styles, actions and types. ).

Especially something like the Practical/Tactical Glock 34 9mm or G35 .40. Close to 1911 dimensions, light, and the 3.5 lb connector on that trigger isn't bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts