Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modern 45-70 Lever Action Rifles. The Thumper V2 - YouTube

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it silly? Up here in Canada we can easily get a 12" or 16" Barreled Chiappa M92 "Alaskan" Takedown in either .357mag, .44 mag or .45-70. The .357 and the .44 can handle some fairly stiff loads. I worked up a black bear load for a friend earlier this year, a 300 grain LRNFP bullet from Laser Cast moving down range at 1,280 fps. I have never met anyone who has invested in a .45-70 Chiappa M92. I just can't see handling a .45-70 in that short of barrel and do you need all of that gobble-de-goup stuck on it?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I subscribe to his channel and saw that two or three months ago. Chris Costa has some interesting levergun videos as well, but I don’t get why both of them choose the .45-70 caliber for a “tactical carbine” caliber. A same-size gun in .44 magnum (or even .357 imo) gives more than adequate power for personal defensive use, and it holds more ammo at the same time. I love leverguns, but for a potential ‘fighting’ gun, the .45-70 is imo one of the worst caliber choices. For bear defense, maybe; but for defense against humans, it makes very little sense imo.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Out of curiosity, I looked up some old numbers on different levergun calibers. In .44 magnum, a 16-20 inch barrel will hit up to 1900 ft/lbs of power, and a .357 will hit around 1100-1200.

But keeping those power levels in mind - a 16” .223 is seen by most as plenty adequate for defensive use while only running around 1000-1100 ft/lbs, So I can’t come up with a good reason to give up the increased capacity, lighter ammo weight, greater ammo selection (at least a greater selection of defensive-appropriate ammo), and much wider ammo availability of a .357 or .44 magnum (especially the .357) version instead. To each his own, but the .45-70 seems like a choice based on either nostalgia or machismo instead of objective usefulness.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In the last 17 years that I have had my Shilo Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45-70 it has generally been to engage targets from 300 to 504 yds. I have thought in the past of picking up a Marlin M1895 with a 26" barrel but trying to find one up here is like trying to find hens teeth. People who have them, won't let them go. They would be a good grey man piece of kit, if you had a requirement to engage out to 500 yds. I don't practice nearly enough to shoot at those ranges anymore.

I see my .32-40 and .30-30 Winchesters as 150 yd rifles, 200 yds max if I'm having a good day, and my .357, .44, & .45Colt levers as adequate for targets 100 yds and under.

On the lighter side, with politics the way they are in Europe these days, it is nice to see people practicing for a possible Russian invasion!

North Star Trail 2022 - Finnish Cowboy Action Shooting Championship - YouTube

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
...They would be a good grey man piece of kit, if you had a requirement to engage out to 500 yds. I don't practice nearly enough to shoot at those ranges anymore...
I don't have the eyes to even see target details at those distances anymore. Our office manager is taking off next week to have some kind of lens replacement surgery on both eyes, and it's had me thinking about getting mine looked at someday.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I'd like a lever in 45-70, it's probably more practical for me to go with one in .45 colt - seeing how I already have a pistol in that caliber.

again it comes down to location, location, location.

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 10 of 10 Posts