Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gun has been out for two or three years, but I never gave it much thought until the other day. It's an L-frame size revolver, that has interchangeable cylinders for .38/.357 and 9mm. It comes in either matte black (carbon) steel, or matte stainless. Barrel lengths are 2.5”, 3”, and 6.5”; the 3” and 6.5” being ported.The one I'm thinking about is the 3" ported stainless version:

Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

I have a similar-sized S&W revolver in 9mm, and also a ruger sp-101 in .357 magnum, and so never really cared much about the 692 when it came out. Also have a smith 681 .357 magnum, but it’s out on consignment.

I came across the 692 convertible again the other day and am thinking that it might make a good replacement for the sp-101. I’ve only kept the 4” stainless sp-101 because I can’t see NOT owning a .357 revolver, but I’m halfway thinking about selling it and replacing it with a 692.

The only centerfire Taurus handgun I own anymore is a 450C, which is a fairly similar gun; a stainless mid-size revolver with a 2.5” ported stainless barrel in 45Colt. I bought it years ago as I’m a big fan of the .45 colt caliber, and it’s been such a good gun that my wife has adopted it as hers. It’s the gun she keeps loaded in the house, and she actually likes it. The 692 reviews I’ve read have mostly been very good, and if it’s as good as the 450C has been, it would be a neat combo gun that would let me sell off both of my dedicated .357 revolvers but still have the .357 revolver capability on hand. Also, according to some reviews I've found on various forums, it will even use the same moonclips as my existing Smith 9mm revolver. Have to think about this some more. 😐

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind... I checked with the gun shop and found two very good reasons not to do this. First is that there are apparently zero of that model in stock anywhere in the US. Second reason is that if there WERE any in stock, they'd be $770. I like Taurus guns more than some people, but I'm not spending that much money on one of their revolvers. Don't know how much the used SP101 would bring, but not interested in losing several hundred on the deal.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Well I don't blame you at all for a change of mind on that purchase.
While I still like revolvers and would like to get back to owning some. The prices are a seller's market.

Can you shoot me a PM on where the 681 is and the price? I know a guy who might be interested. While he generally likes snubbies he might like a 681. All he'll do is tell me yes or no.
Oh is it a 4" bbl iirc most were but I never assume anything with firearms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts