Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and .460 Rowland lw Commander (Defender slide, 4 ozs of muzzlewt on the exposed 1" of barrel. Eagle's quite accurate, with old Hutson Handgunner scope, 2" at 50 yds, Weaver. 2 lbs total wt. Ditto the loaded lwCommander. another lb of spare mags and ammo for the .460, 2lbs of .22lr, would probably suffice in thick cover. Save 9 lbs over the 16 lb rifle and pistol load-out. Not much need of the .22 being swift into action, in the boonies, wear it in a Kydex shoulder rig, suspended on a mesh shirt. Have the .460 in an open top fanny pack, at the navel. In town, reverse those positions, take the scope off of the polymer framed Eagle.

With the 90 gr swc, at 2100 fps in the .460, not that tough to take deer at 70m. Prefer to get within 40m and brain them with the scoped and canned .22lr. In thick enough cover, the pistols probably have plenty of range to get the job done, and the 460 load pierces ccw armor. Might hike the John Muir with such a setup, one of these days. Without any need of the Armor, 50 lbs would be an extra 11lbs of rations. Without any need of the gold coins or info, or seeds, almost another lb of rations. On top of the 2 lbs normally carried, 13 lbs of rations would cover ya in between the times you couldn't score any wild food. Since no real worries about combat, another 10 lbs of food could be lugged along, too. As long as you scored some critter or fish every couple of days, and some plant food at least as often, should be able to keep trucking a long time with 23 lbs of rations. So you have to stop and stock up every 300 miles or so, so what?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
If I were to try & go “light” in the woods for several weeks or more, with two pistols & no shoulder gun, I’d want my integrally-suppressed stainless (black-Teflon) MarkII (if I ever GET the friggin thing; don’t get me started on that…); no question about that one. For field use, I’d also go with a shoulder rig unless it got in the way of the pack (assuming I’m carrying one). This is assuming it’s still as accurate & reliable as it used to be, whenever I do get it back.

The second pistol…? I’d be ok with any one of several, primarily because I don’t consider any one of them as “perfect”, yet more than adequate, especially assuming a non-combat situation as you say.

S&W 681 – zero maintenance, stainless steel, powerful enough for any local game smaller than bear; but not overly lightweight.

Colt 1911 .45 – ridiculously accurate, fair power with Cor-bon 185+P loads, slimmer, but still somewhat heavy, and blued steel

Glock 19 – seems an odd choice for a “woods” gun, but plenty accurate for short (woods) distances out to 60-70 yards or so, and decent power with the +P+ loads in it. Quite light and high capacity, although that wouldn’t be much of an issue in this scenario. Also has night sights for those dusk/dawn times.

Ruger .454 Casull – (here’s where I piss you off… ;) ) Main drawback is obviously weight; it’s heavy, and concealability is a problem if going into town. Other than that, it’s got most other considerations in its favor. Power for anything up to bear & elk, reduced power loads for smaller game, stainless steel construction, and more than accurate enough. Carried in its crossdraw holster, it's easy to get to, and carries surprisingly well.

I would probably just accept the weight issue and go with the .454, mainly due to stainless steel, simplicity, and caliber capability. 20-round box of the top-end loads, couple 20’s of the light (.44 magnum level) loads; that would be enough for a long time of hunting/foraging.

Add in five or six boxes of .22LR’s, and you could go a long time out there, as far as “gun stuff” goes.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
andy said:
wth u gonna use 454 ON, in Ark? :) 80 lbs is a BIG deer there.
bullshit!

the MESH 'vest/shirt/shoulder-carry' cracks me up! in thick brush no less.

ya! you'd be the 'manurvalal' type ! [ i made that word up for this occasion]

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I hav eread the initial post 3 times and still can nto make heads not tail fo fuckwits blathering.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
andy said:
wth u gonna use 454 ON, in Ark? :) 80 lbs is a BIG deer there.
Actually, even the small one I posted a pic of (with my car-15) was over 80 pounds, and it was a small button buck. (He looks thin in the pic because he was already gutted.) Our deer aren't big; not anything like Michigan deer, but they get 120-140 pretty regularly. Even so, you're right about full .454 power not being necessary for them.

It's just that a .357's (IMO) 'marginal' for an all-around woods gun, power-wise, and the .454's just the only >.357 handgun I own. Notice I said most of the ammo would be the lower-power .44-magnum-level loads. Plenty of power for my area, and fairly mild shooting in this heavy gun.

For that matter, if all I had was the stainless .357, I wouldn't feel too insecure either... Like I said, I don't consider any one of them to be the "perfect" one, but more than adequate.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no reason to choose the 357 over the lw Commander, and .38 wadcutters might as well be .22's, and no, they don't share the same POI as the magnum loads, usually not even close. so which load do you zero the sights for, hmm? the Mountain eagle, with an aluminum can, weighs 24 ozs. The ruger, 44 ozs, with a steel can. Neither the 357 nor the 454 is much of a fighting gun.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Now you are going ot put a can on a 44 tard?

I will copy Miek Fisher on yoru admission of handling a can.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
andy said:
no reason to choose the 357 over the lw Commander, and .38 wadcutters might as well be .22's, and no, they don't share the same POI as the magnum loads, usually not even close. so which load do you zero the sights for, hmm? the Mountain eagle, with an aluminum can, weighs 24 ozs. The ruger, 44 ozs, with a steel can. Neither the 357 nor the 454 is much of a fighting gun.

I don’t have a LW commander; only 1911’s I have are colt & detonics, both steel.

I was talking about “light” loads for the .454, which are still .44 magnum power. If carrying a .357 and .22LR pistol, I agree, I probably wouldn’t bother with carrying .38 loads; no real “niche” for them in that situation.

I don’t know what the canned ruger mk2 weighs (because I still don’t have the stupid thing yet :mad: ), but .44 oz sounds heavy. (That’s more than a steel-frame 1911, iirc) The Norrell mk2 suppressor is somewhat long, but it is mostly air space inside, not solid metal.

You said in your opening post, “Since no real worries about combat…, so I wasn’t factoring “fighting guns” too heavily into it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
regular 5.5" Mark I is about 40 ozs, unless can's aluminum, you'll be right at 44 ozs.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no reason to OWN "non-fighting" guns. :) certainly not centerfires. Targets don't care what you hit them with.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
andy said:
no reason to OWN "non-fighting" guns. :) certainly not centerfires. Targets don't care what you hit them with.
you might have to 'swing on the 'dance' floor with what you got'

u r lk a combative child [in a 'LOT' of areas] i think you should seek some better psycoactive medication, ol' boy[mister160]

:wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts