Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

The '79 quirks, know what they are, John?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Terry G 
#1 ·
John gave a pretty good response on my "Thumper" thread, although stealing it with a theoretical shotgun approach. My question is have you ever fired a M-79, John? If you have, what are two quirks the M-79 has that every '79 gunner know's? I'll give you a hint. They both have to do with the safety. Good luck!

#4 ·
andy said:
no, and why should I care? It's military only, obsolete, and no single shot amounts to much.
RIKA said:
Obviously no idea of the M79's tactical use.

RIKA
:laugh01:

I'll bet they aren't drop safe. Probably shouldn't load one until you're ready to light someone up.
I read in a book, Charlie Rangers of a guy hopping on a Huey to go out on patrol slamming the butt of a loaded M79 on the deck and it firing a grenade up through the roof, through the rotor disk and back down through the rotor disk to land on the ground right beside the chopper. Good thing it didn't have time to arm itself.

#5 ·
No, they were pretty much drop-proof. I never heard of one going off from being dropped. JMD alway's sounds off like he has practical knowledge of weapons when in reality he has none. He sounded off like he knew a lot about the M-79 but as it turns out he never even shot one. The quirks were that the safety snapped on automatically every time the weapon was opened for reloading. In the heat of a fight it was easy to be yanking on a dead trigger. The other little problem was that due to the sharp recoil the safety would bite the webb of the firing hand almost every time. We were trained to fire the '79 with the thumb along side the pistol grip, not over the top as is normal. It was kind of funny because you would see guy's who forgot this walking around with the webb of their hand in their mouth. No need to ask what happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.