Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled my Poly-Tech AKS out of it's "safe queen" mode and wrung it out. I first used Norinco ammo, then Wolf, then Finnish Lapua. The Norinco was disapointing giving me 5" groups at 100 yards. It shrunk group size with the Wolf to just under 3" with the Lapua, I got about 2 1/2. I took it out to the local prison range that I have access to, and tried it at two and then three hundred yards. I could stay on the Transtar 1 target with all the ammunition though the Lapua was definitely the winner. I would pick an M-16 or AR-15 any day, but the AK is is certainly a good battle rifle. A sniper weapon? Not a chance. Sturdy and reliable? Absolutely. Looks like crushed beer cans and orange crate, and shoots like Star Wars. A pretty apt desription. My politicaly correct MAK-90 shoots much better with it's longer stock and rubber buttplate. That's to be expected as the AK was designed for a 5'5" soldier. Say what you want, the AK is a great weapon.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Never saw any reason to bother with the pos's. Slow, awkward, heavy,inaccurate clubs, made by and for ignorant peasants to spray and pray with.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Given the style of warfare that they were designed for, they have proven to be very good performers. Not exactly my choice but i have different requirements based on my geographical location.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The AKs and ARs have about the same effective range. The AR because the bullet drops below effective fragmentation threshold, although the rifle itself can get the bullet on target a lot further out, the AK because of its accuracy limits. Both are assault rifles, not battle rifles. They were both meant for relatively close engagements with a lot of spraying involved. We've since grown up and found that old-fashioned riflemanship can out shoot the .223's effective range out of the AR.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The AK.A symbol of Communism & the weapon of choice of freedom fighters for decades.A fantastic weapon in that they are still in use going on six decades after their introduction.Not too long ago,on a History Channel program,some military types suggested that if a war broke out in the third world in 2050 the main battle rifle would STILL be an AK47.

I hope to get a FA copy someday.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I've always been satisfied with the AK as long as I don't expect target accuracy. It shoots minute of BG at 200 yds as it was designed to do.

RIKA

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Not my first choice, but in a pinch, my MAK-90 wouldn't leave me feeling unprotected. The controls are (IMO) inferior to the AR platform, and on mine, anyway, the trigger has a lot of travel. I'd trust it if need be, as a second (or more likely third) choice of what I have on hand.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I should be picking up my two Veprs in 5.45x39 over the next day or two. My FFL guy got them yesterday. I'm curious to see how well they shoot. I've got a batch of Barnaul ammo waiting for them to feed on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts