Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know Camillus went under along with United...

Gerbers are now made elsewhere. Shrade went under but someone is still producing knives in that name...it's not the same...

Is any other company in danger that anyone knows of?

Are we going to lose Buck?

·
Registered
605 Posts
It's sad to see these companies go under. What's worse is when they sell out and the new owners produce knives with the same name made in china!

I collect a few knives, mostly Benchmade, Al Mar and (closed in '87) Pacific Cutlery Corp, also a few odd customs.

Benchmade is now importing chinese knives under thier name. I guess they have to do this to compete with other 'cheap' knives.

Al Mar has always been made in Japan (high quality stuff!)

PCC imported some from Tiawan. (Seems well made.)

I guess any of the makers could be vulnerable if they can't compete.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Buck Knives

As a life member of the Buck Knives Collectors Club, I can say that they are very much alive and doing well. Due to rising costs, local taxes, and just about anything else, they closed their entire operation in SanDiego, Ca. and rebuilt their entire operation in Post Falls, Idaho.They moved most of their skilled workers with them. 3 generations of Buck still run the company, and Chuck Buck, the founders son and CEO(semi-retired) can be found attending knife shows all over the USA.
Buck Knives--660 S. Lochsa Street
Post Falls, Id. 83854-5200
(800) 326-2825
www.buckknives.com/contact.php
www.buckcollectorsclub.org

I'm happy to report that the "Best" is still made in the "Good Ole USA"!!

NRA Benefactor

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's GOOD news!

I've carried and used a 112 since 1977, it's never failed me.

I've been looking at picking up a 119 or a Kalinga lately. I really like vintage stuff!:nuts:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I guess it's a matter of the economy and the recession...but it's sad to see names like Camillus, Winchester, etc., going under.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts