Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's often easy to concentrate on the big items like beans and rice and various meat proteins and all that.
Then there's basics of salt and black pepper and a few other common spices.
But what are those other things that end up being either a comfort food or an aid in flavoring a drink or meal.
Food Font Staple food Ingredient Brand

I started using these flavor packets a few years ago to aid in the palatability of filtered or otherwise treated water.
They are basically a small amount of dehydrated fruit juice in crystalized firm. No artificial sweeteners and zero calories.
Font Ingredient Rectangle Cuisine Paper

I bought 3 varieties and they work pretty well.
I'm currently drinking a blend of the juices working on getting rehydrated after the last several days of being sick.
As for durability and expiration dates I'm not sure but even after riding around in a grub box in my truck box for over two years. The flavor is just fine.

Registered
In my vehicle bag I keep small gatorade (or powerade..?) single serve powder packets, and Folgers single serve instant coffee packets. Also snack food packets like crackers, trail mix, etc, and a couple kinds of jerky & slim-jim type things.

Registered
Back in the day, I used to scrounge items like drink packages, freeze dried soup, granola, coffee-mate, coffee, salt, pepper, sugar, Werther's candies, etc from ration packs that were left over after exercises. Having spent 15 years out of 28 in uniform in field units I had quite a few boxes of stuff. I made my own "Goody" packs that gave me the basic minimum of 1,100- 1,200 calories alone. I recently tried some of the freeze-dried coffee packs one morning a couple months back. WOW, will they keep you awake. Warning I did have a problem with items like beef jerky, slim-jims and nuts. Items that contained oils went rancid somewhere between the 4鈥5-year point in storage. Plus if your into fast food joints, there is an easy selection of salt, pepper, sugar & coffee mate. Plus don't forget the old standby, Tabasco sauce, no refrigeration needed until its opened.

A good basis for these "goody" packs were 2 packages of Quaker oatmeal, a package of Cup a soup, a small package of rice or instant potato's, a couple of flavored Tea bags, a package of hot chocolate, book of matches and a small package of Kleenex. While this doesn't provide all your daily nutrition, it provides enough to keep you alive and mobile. The first time I put them together was with double zip lock bags, the second time 5 years later with a friends Food Saver. Very handy packettes for hunting emergency, BOB and caches

Reactions: BigEd

Registered
Back about 15-17 years ago Melvin use to try and bust my chops, because I put packages together with only a calorie count of maybe 1,200 calories but would last 10-15 years properly packaged. I tried numerous times to get it through to him that these were a supplement package and not food for a day. After all we know how diligent that Melvin is in his preps.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another example of some self made goodie packs I have ready to go. A little bit different drink mix wise. One fruit drink mix is the same brand but a formulated energy drink mix.
I do believe the average calorie count is similar around 1000 calories+/- some. It's meant to be supplemented with a entree of some sort whether freeze dried or not.
Material property Ingredient Transparency Font Cuisine

Administrator
I also like the spam singles - in various flavors. You can eat them cold, but pull out the dragonfly and a small pan and fry them up! yum!

I also dig the apple cinnamon oatmeal. That's always in my kit.

The only critique, and it is a minor nit pick, I'd avoid "light" or "low calorie" items for this use. You are burning calories and need to stay fueled. You aren't getting fat from this stuff. Your total calorie count looks good, but it seems odd to go with low calorie drinks...to me.

YMMV and it is a personal choice.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I don't mention it much but sugar isn't always my friend being a type 2 diabetic. And that particular brand is pretty good taste wise anyway

Registered
as an emergency item, where your body is tired from excessive exercise or trying to maintain body core temperature, I think that a small amount of sugar would not be detrimental.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like I said YMMV, and I didn't know. Sorry. but it was a minor thing - nothing to make a difference in the big picture.
No problems. Prepping food wise for me is kind of a balancing act. I generally run low in blood sugar when active. But, you never know. That's why I pack along a variety of items.

Administrator
when I volunteered through the local CERT program, I kept hard candies in my first aid kit. I had a EMS tell me it was a waste of time as there were better things to pack for diabetics. I explained - they were for me. Sometimes, if things go sideways, the best thing you can do is pop a candy in your mouth and sit down. Just take a moment to blank out and then re-evaluate where you are and how fubar things are. I've learned first hand, that unless it is stupid / unsafe - sitting down and not doing anything can stop things from getting worse.

Registered
This is why I included Weathers hard candies in my "goody" bags. Nothing checks hypoglycemia caused by hard physical work like a couple of hard candies, plus properly packaged they are edible for decades.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts