Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually don't pass these on... but I must be getting soft in my old age....

The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 cups of coffee...

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar...and the 2 cups of coffee...

A Firearms Instructor stood before his class of eager students in their last class before graduation. He had an unusual collection of items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with empty shotgun shells. He then asked the students if the jar was full.

They all agreed that it was.

The instructor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly a few times as he did so. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between and inside the shells. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.

They again all agreed it was.

The instructor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.

The students responded with a unanimous "yes" and a few enmbarassed giggles.

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents of each into the jar effectively filling the empty space even between the grains of sand. The future shooters all laughed.

"Now...," said the instructor, as the laughter subsided, “...I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The shotgun shell casings are the important things - your God, your family, your children, your morals, your education, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions like shooting. They are the things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter a lot like: your job, your house, your car, your bank account.

The sand is everything else - just the small stuff.

"If you first fill your jar with the sand," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the shotgun shells. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Teach your children good morals and values, and the importance of a good education. Teach them the importance of having fun and play with your children often. Show your family you love them. Take your partner out to dinner often. Get regular medical check-ups and stay in shape. Enjoy your passions, such as shooting, and share them with someone. There will always be time to clean the yard, paint the house, or fix the disposal. Take care of the shotgun shells first, all the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest are just pebbles and sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.

The instructor smiled and said: "I'm glad you asked. The coffee - it just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee between friends."

Please share this with someone you care about. I JUST DID.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Neat post. Thanks for sharing.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Excellent, thanks

·
Banned
3,467 Posts