Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Which SHTF do you expect most?

• A natural disaster such as mega-earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes, whatever, & looters go beserk...

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Rioting related to any type disastisfaction with the government such as a police shooting.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The aftermath of a nuclear or other catastrophic accident that kills and injures thousands...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A nuclear, chemical, biological, or terrorist attack on the US or Canada or anywhere in the world...

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • The occupation of your homeland by enemy forces...

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Illegal government takeover, such as martial law and suspect roundups being instituted illegally...

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Your going on the run in order to avoid felony arrest (not a joke for GK but a serious choice)...

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Your job as you are in Law Enforcement or in the armed forces and you are in an armed fight...

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Plane crash or other accident in the boonies, and no signs of a rescue are in sight...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home break-in by armed intruders...

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Daily Life scene such as robbery of a 7-11, mugging, road rage and you need to fight to survive...

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • You are attacked by a wild animal while on a campout, or maybe even by a neighborhood mutt...

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Gee Golly wilikers (or was it Golly Gee Wilikers?), I know a more likely one, see my post below...

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all like to talk about being ready for the S when it HTF and I guess we all have our ideas as to what would make up a SHTF scenario. I think most of us, with the exception of GK, agree that a SHTF situation could be something that is short term and possibly only happening to us as opposed to an invasion of the homeland or a global thermo nuclear war (which of course is also SHTF). Thinking of all the things that could happen, and goiung with what each of you believes to be a SHTF type situation: what do you think is the most likely situation that could arise in which the SHTF and for which you :uzi: may have to go into action :madeuce: to save yourself and or your family? Take the poll and discuss it.

By the way, I chose the Daily Life scenario because that is just something where danger is always lurking, whether or not you are in a rural or urban area, and it is something we live almost everyday of our lives (unless we are lucky enough to live as a hermit in the woods). It may not be as glamorous as my being attacked and me defeating the bad guy while working in my LEO job, or not as glorious as me finding and wiping out a nest of terrorists, or not as adventurous as getting stranded in the middle of the Sahara and building a plane named the Phoenix to fly myself out but it is something I expect to be the most likely and for which I am probably most ready.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
another in a string of good posts!

you getting quite a good run going,GLEN!

i had to start laughing about the 'flight of the phoenix' as i watch it every time it's on t.c.m.

i chose the armed intruder of ones home, as i have [6] sliding glass doors, here at my home and i'm always checking when i get back home for signs of ingress, although your choice is as most likely.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and if I remember right it was the Kalahari but what the heck...good movie, and a real scenario in which we could easily find ourselves, stranded like that, but not I think building a Phoenix out of the ashes so to speak

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Your job as you are in Law Enforcement or in the armed forces and you are in an armed fight...
If you're in that line of work, it is very likely.
Home break-in by armed intruders... Daily Life scene such as robbery of a 7-11, mugging, road rage and you need to fight to survive... You are attacked by a wild animal while on a campout, or maybe even by a neighborhood mutt...
All of these are very possible on an individual basis, or a small group.

I voted for
A natural disaster such as mega-earthquake, hurricane, tornadoes, whatever, & looters go beserk...
as the most likely to effect a large number of people, quite possibly for a very long time. We've seen 3 major hurricane hits in the southeast and there wasn't enough time to even restore everyone's power or get them off boil water alerts between storms. What if several things happened around the country? Like major hurricane hits here, the northeast has another major blackout and Kalifornia gets the "big one"? FEMA was able to cover the local problems with the storm, but if any of you have tried to buy MREs or generators lately, you'll find they're all out of MREs and the supply of generators is very low due to them being shipped in and others bought by FEMA. 3 major catastrophes (all of which could occur simultaneously, independant of each other) would be too much to contain. While some have the idea they can fight off invading armies, or fight off their own little Waco standoff, there's no fighting off "mother nature", she'll just beat your ass any time she wants and there's nothing you can do about it but pick up the pieces. NO WHERE, is immune.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Many of these scenarioa ate possible and there is a certain percentage chance that one or more of them will happen. My response is to keep my preparations as flexible as possible so that I am reasonably well preoared for what ever occurs.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I voted Daily Life, because odds are higher for that. Home break in should be part of that too maybe.

I am prepared or working towards being prepared for most of the above though. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I could see two options as being most likely.

First.The after effects of a racially charged court case.Examples are the riots in Oh a couple of years ago when the white cops killed a black suspect.Also,the O.J. thing.Now,in areas w/o a large minority community this will be less likely.

Secondly,the bio/nuclear attack scenario.Even if the damage is contained to a small area or geographically far away I think that the possibility of "joe blow" being randomly killed might very well cause a SHTF problem.

I think that a combination of a very hot,dry summer coupled with high un-employment will make a perfect catalyst for the above.

A third scenario I see is a mass power outage caused wither by incompetence of the power companies or,even better,by an anti-social group.Terrorists if you will.They don't have to pray Easterly though.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yesterday, I saw a guy go road-ragee in traffic. Traffic was a little heavy and he just wanted everybody to get out of his way.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i can attest

to long hot/dry/power outage.

people start to lose it[the weather won't post the correct tempertures, because people start 'wiggin' out,listen to the police scanner in june/july]

i am the most important person i know[ha!] if tshtf to me LARGE RANGING/SMALL SCALE it is still revelent, copy!

thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Heart attack and no one is around. Don't laugh. More people die of that each year than all the SHTFs that happen in that same year's time.

As for 'norman' SHTF, I'm more likly to be caught up in a armed robbery of a store (unless I live in Florida where huricanes seem to think is a magnet.)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heart attacks are a common thing, but not one in which you can do much for yourself if it is a massive one. Then we have to rely uupon the help of others. So I guess if you prepared the way, by being a nice guy, and having friends and family who would help you, well there it is!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Glenn,

Lots of things you can do. Good diet, exercise, reduce stress. Other things would be to keep some small asprin near by. I've now heard of quite a few people felt a heart attack coming and took asprin and that held it off.

So maybe some of those 91mg Bayer asprin would be a good thing to put in ones kit.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of things to prevent one, or to ward off a smaller one, but not much if the SHTF massively, then it is for others to do. Of course if you get warnings and eat aspirin you are one of the lucky ones, others don't even get the chance to say ouch.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Well, since I'm not current (at the moment) the plane crash scenario probably doesn't apply. However, I see several of the listed options as viable. (though in the end I did vote for daily life.)

As far as the heart attack thing goes - how many have current CPR on this board - I do, plus I am qualifed on AED's (but then again, if you can read / speak english and can hear, you could use an AED too...but they won't consider you qualified until you've been trained)

Looting after a big disaster - very possible, but the disaster itself is the more likely SHTF. In a big disaster, you can expect to be without any help for 48-72 hours, and more than likely longer.

There's only so many resources available. Whatever emergency supplies you have on hand may be it for quite a while.

Terrorist attack? probably going to happen - we could probably spend days discussing this scenario alone...

good topic though.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I re-certify first aid and CPR every 2 years, part of job requirement.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CPR certified, but I do't remember if it expired yet or not.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I know I posted this before, but a real bad SHTF would be an asteroid strike....while no one knows for sure what the effects would be, scientific simulations using a hamster and a sledge hammer indicate they will be very bad...

:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't like those hamsters much do you!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I wish I could take credit for that one, but it was from dave berry's world...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts