New Army XM-109 Snopers Rifle
The high-powered Barrett XM-109 rifle.

Barrett XM-109 Sniper Rifle

* Fires 25mm low velocity HEDP ammunition
* Accurate out to 2,500 meters
* 46 inches long, weighs 33 pounds.
* Many components interchangeable with M-107 .50 caliber rifle
* Incorporates BORS ballistic computer

Already established as the world's authority and leader in the production of heavy caliber long range sniper rifles -- including the M107 .50 caliber rifle -- Barrett Arms hopes to raise the bar even higher with the introduction of its new XM-109 25mm payload rifle. Based on the existing M-107 design, the XM-109 will give infantry the ability to lethally engage light armored vehicles out to 2500 meters, with the firepower of an Apache helicopter. For Soldiers needing an edge in combat, that's a pretty good can of Hakkaa Päälle to open up on the enemy.

The XM-109 is essentially a reconfigured M-107 .50 Caliber semi-automatic rifle -- if you can imagine a .50 caliber rifle being mated with a 25 mm receiver. Thanks to the increased power, the XM-109 rifle is designated as a "payload" rifle, designed to destroy light armor, and light enough to be carried by a single sniper. Essentially, the 25mm upper receiver attaches directly to the lower receiver of the M-107 (in effect, swapping out the .50 caliber components for 25mm ones). In the process, the rifle's weight actually remains unchanged at 33 pounds, but its length has been shortened considerably, with the XM-109 (at 46 inches) being 11 inches shorter than the M-107.

Like the M-107, the XM-109 will come with a spiked bipod (to stabilize the weapon and help manage recoil), a large, multi-baffle muzzle brake, and a standard "flattop" optical sight rail, which will allow the rifle to use any existing electro-optical or thermal weapon sight currently in the US inventory. Ammunition is fed out of a detachable box magazine, though in the case of the XM-109, magazine capacity has been reduced from 10 to 5 rounds. Barrett is currently developing mounts to enable the XM-109 to be used in vehicles, helicopters, and soft-sided (rubber) watercraft.

The components of the XM-109; chief among them is the 25mm receiver.

The centerpiece of the XM-109 system is the 25mm HEDP ammunition it fires. A scaled down derivative of the low velocity 30mm HEDP M789 ammunition fired by the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, the MX-109's 25mm ammunition has been judged to be 2.5 times more effective at destroying targets than a .50 caliber armor-piercing round. It is expected that this ammunition can penetrate nearly 40mm (an inch and a half) of armor plating at 500 meters, or blast open doors from around the corner. In other words, it gives the Soldier breaching capability on fortified positions, while minimizing exposure to enemy fire, thanks to its effectiveness at greater distances. Also in the works are a number of specialized rounds, ranging from solid core AP ammunition to non-lethal/ crowd control munitions utilizing inert rubber balls, and RC agents.

"Reach out and touch someone!"

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Works for me, but then I don't have to buy the ammo!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Let's see.On the plus side it's shorter than the .50 cal version so it'll fit in the wheelbarrow easier.

OTOH,there's no .22 unit,effective suppressor,it's NOT ccw-able,& scrounging ammo after SHTF is gonna be a biatch. :nyah:

Seriously though.After I buy my 1st 50 I'd get one-just to piss the idiots off.

I wonder if Barrett will make a package w/both 25mm & .50cals?

That be both too kool & more than I've ever spent on a car. :santa:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
let's see, 33 lbs ofgun, 40 lbs of other essential survival gear, water, rations, and 40lbsof ammo (ie, 50-60 shots) sounds like you will REALLY be running and gunning, right? then add at LEAST 15 lbs of personal weapons and ammo, and man, you are really a high speed, low drag guy. Whatwill have to be done is have this thing be carried by a 3-4 man team. 1 guy each with half of the gun,one guy each carrying 20-30 rds of ammo. Otherwise, it's just another "stay in place' pc of perimeter defense gear, of little or no real use.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
223 fan said:
how is "low velocity" ammo gonna reach 2500m, and hit MOVING armored vehicles,hmm? :) What a joke.250 m, MAYBE, every now and then.
Maybe the BORS ballistic computer (whatever that is) makes long distance hits possible. Sounds like an interesting weapon. Wonder if I can charge one on my VISA? :D

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice thing about the XM-109 is it will take out a APC without any backblast like a RPG or LAW would. The ammo is also much less expensive and easier to carry than any LAW or RPG.

The Israel miliary set up a system to take out aircraft and helos by sniper fire along time ago. This, like the .50, builds upon it. Nothing frightens the enemy like precise fire from very long range. I've even heard of 105mm 'sniper' fire!

How would you feel if you were situated where you though you are safe, you and your group, but then right out of the blue a 33lb HE round lands smack on without any warning.

Yes I can see the 25mm would have a place, just as the .50 cal and the .30 in sniper use. 11 inch CARs, as we know, are pos in anything but dreams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts