Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about "record number of cases" of this new covid variant, but never at all hear about number of deaths; so out of curiosity I looked into it a little bit. This is in large part due to two family members (both female, 82 and 86 years old) testing positive for the virus just two days after we spent the entire Christmas weekend with them. Other than symptoms like a bad cold or very mild flu, neither one needed any medical attention. The only doctor interaction for either of them was when getting the covid test performed. The fact that these two high-risk people being so mildly affected by it, made me curious enough that I wanted to see some actual data on this new variant that everyone is screaming about.

Every news outlet I found is trumpeting the "skyrocketing number of cases" talking point, but I only found three that included information on "number of deaths" in addition to "number of cases". I'm not particularly trusting of 'news' reports from most sources, but the only three sources I found with death-rate data from the last two weeks all agreed on two very important datapoints. The first is that yes - Covid cases are increasing roughly 60% per week. That's huge as far as infection rate goes. The second datapoint is that at the same time, deaths from the virus are down approximately 7%.

Consider that - cases go up 60%. But not only does the death rate not match that increase, and not only does the death rate not increase at ALL, and not only does the actual number of deaths (as opposed to the death-rate, which is based on a percentage of cases) not increase at all, the fact is that while the number of cases has gone up hugely, the number of deaths has simultaneously dropped. Not just in rate (ie, percentage of cases), but the actual NUMBER of deaths.

Assuming those numbers are accurate, that's an extremely good thing. Increased exposure (increasing herd immunity), without the lethality. That's a very good thing. Shame that no news outlet I've encountered on the radio or TV has made this point. Wouldn't serve their purpose of fanning the terror, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Well, an acquaintance of mine died of it about 3 weeks ago.
What variant is unknown, comorbidities unknown. But outwardly looking the dude appeared to be fit and was 51 years of age.
No clue as to vax or not.

Currently a good friend whom I've known since jr high has Covid19 again no clue as to variant. And he has had one vax shot no booster, no info at this time as to brand of shot.
I'm concerned about him because his lungs, heart and body in general is not in best of shape for his age.
He's been suffering with allergies and asthma most of his life.
So....☹

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
we both had Covid. We are both fully vaccinated, my wife had the booster - I was scheduled to but got the disease. we used the test kits and were both positive. The only clue I had that I had it, was I lost my sense of smell and taste. That was it. Otherwise, it was just another mild cold. I'm just now getting my smell and taste back.

it was such a non-event, it was laughable. Not being able to taste anything was interesting, but I got tired of it quickly - I really missed the taste and smell of coffee.

I don't believe anything the media has to say about Covid. They've gotten nearly everything wrong. Shits and Giggles (Biden and Harris) don't have clue one on how to handle anything, so they are worthless.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Yeah and my favorite bread smelled like a bag of moldy jockstraps.
Just tossed it out.
What also happened was I think I had the flu on top of the Covid19 virus
As I had typical flu like symptoms plus the Whuhan Lung.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
In November I lost two members of my extended Family to Covid. One 38 and one 47. They listened to the Family patriarch and neither got the vaccine or went to the hospital until it was too late. Michigan dwellers during a bad month. We're all vaccinated in my Family and got the booster also. No ones got sick (yet). I pay close attention to my CRNA Daughter's advice and to the VA. Due to the harmless Agent Orange I have to be very careful so when they talk I listen.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
My wife's sister and her husband didn't get vaccinated either, and the just went do to Tennessee to take care of their son and his family. The son , both children and my brother in law got sick. Both my brother in Law and his wife are Chiropractors with years of medical experience, figure that out?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be clear, I'm not saying that the covid virus isn't a real - and real deadly - thing, and also not inherently opposed to vaccines. I lost two friends and at least one customer to it last year myself, and we're in a small-population area. Just pointing out that all we hear right now is the negative spin; constant wailing about the rise in number of cases, but not a peep about the drop in deaths.

I actually got my first covid vaccine shot last week, and plan to get the second shot when due for it in a few weeks. I don't see a way around getting one of the vaccines if a person wants to participate fully in the future world. I really believe there will be just too many places and situations that "no vaccine" will mean "no soup for you". In our specific circumstance, I'm still trying to get my wife on a cruise while she still gets around pretty well, and without being vaccinated, that's absolutely a no-go, possibly for a long time to come.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
I just really don't know either way.
I've had it as stated. With technically 3 comorbidities it wasn't great but it was not as bad as some make it out.
But, I've lost an acquaintance or two from it.
My conclusion from what I've seen and for what it's worth is this. It's individually specific for whatever reason. DNA, diet, cardiovascular health, contact with others, hygiene etc... maybe just blind good or bad luck.
I won't willingly take the shot but my choice my reasoning.
If my immune system gets behind the ability to keep up then maybe yes.

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I have my 3rd shot booked, for next week. During my career I spent a couple of years in the disposal of biological and chemical agents and waste left over from WW2. I can't even remember the things I was inoculated with, same with my tours overseas. Roll up your sleeves before deployment. This started with Fauchi moving a virus to China, who weaponized it either with his approval or without his approval. It is just another biological weapon to my way of thinking.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Well just got off the phone a little while ago and another person I know has it.
Didn't think to ask if he was in injected with any of the shots or how many.
Also his Uncle, last person on earth I know who needs to come down with it might have it.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder about the accuracy of tests as well. One of our techs got his kids when his ex tested positive for covid last week and started freaking & panicking. To take some stress off of her and to get the kids away from the freaking-out mom, he took them & has had them for a week now and has self-quarantined with them. He took them the next day to get tested & both kids tested positive, but showing no symptoms at all. "Running around like banshees" is how he describes them.

After two days with all three of them in the same small house, he went in for a test & tested negative. He texted me Sunday night that he did an at-home quick test and came up negative again. So he went in yesterday and took one of the long tests that takes a day or two to get the results. If it comes back negative, he's coming back to work as soon as he gets the results.

But how do two kids (6 and 9) both have the disease, both have no symptoms at all for a week, and not pass it on to the only other person who's trapped in a small space with them? It 'could' happen, but with as contagious as this strain appears to be, it seems MUCH more likely that either their positive test results were false or his negative test results were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts