Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have talked about the best pistol or rifle, your favorite gun, the one you would buy if money was not a problem the one you would grab if TSHTF, and the one you want to find under the tree........

Now tell us, what is the ONE gun that you miss the most out of all that you have ever parted with for any reason - and how and why did you go on your way in life without it?

Those others were all easy questions for most of us to answer, but this may be a really tough question. It is not tough so much because you will have a hard time deciding on the answer, but it may bring tears to your eyes thinking that you were either hard up enough, stupid enough or just unfortunate enough to have parted with it.

For me I guess it was a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester. I got this fine rifle, very possibly unfired, at a good second hand price (not for a song but it made me sing). I shot it a few times and it was one heck of a shooter. This used to belong to a coworker, and had been stored in the range at work. The range was in the lower level of 6 WTC. This rifle had virtually been forgotten about by its owner, and when I found it I wanted it, and wound up making an offer. A calamity took place before I could buy it though. Yes, I found it not too long before 911. When #1 WTC fell, an awful lot of it went right down through the middle of number 6 WTC. The room in which the BLR was stored also held other guns, many in safes. Most of them were destroyed, but the BLR remained virtually untouched except for dust, even though it was protected only by the cardboard box and Styrofoam liner that it comes in when sold. Heck, now it even had a provenance, and I figured that by some quirk of fate this gun was meant for me. I bought it and shot it a bit, but the ammo was pretty darned expensive. The cost of the ammo was anywhere from just over $30 a box to $40 a box.

Well the cost of the ammo made me think I could get a lot more enjoyment out of something that shot .308, so I decided to sell it and buy a .308. I sold it at auction. I got a lot more than I had paid, but so what - I was a jerk for selling it. That rifle should have gone into a vault with at least 200 rounds of factory fresh ammo - for my son's future use. Man was it a pretty rifle and it shot great too. Of course, I never got the .308, the money found other things to buy, like I said I was a dope!

There are also plenty of others I miss too, but this is the ONE I miss the MOST!

Best regards,
Glenn B;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
My most missed gun............

That would be the little, sawed off lever action .22 given to me by my dad. I still remember the day, the gun was given to my older brother as his first gun. When my brother turned 10, my dad told him to go get the gun. He brought it out, dad took the gun and handed him a new bolt action .22, he then turned to me and handed the lever gun to me!
That's the gun I learned to shoot with.

Dad just passed away Monday. We will bury him tomorrow. I wish I had kept that gun!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My condolences to you on your dad's passing.

I kind of feel rotten that I posted this thread now, because it finds you at this difficult time and because it reminds you of things you miss so much. I guess though that such thoughts are inevitable at any time we lose a loved one. Hopefully though, because they are good memories, they will help to ease your grief. You sound as if you have some great meories of times spent with him, so as long as you remember and then pass those memories along to others, your dad will live on in a way and you will always have him, your brother and that little lever action 22 by your side.

With sympathy,
Glenn B

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks Glenn........

These memories are a bit poignant at the moment but I will treasure them and pass them along to the best of my ability.

I consider myself lucky that I had such a good man for a father. It makes me realize just what it means to have a loving family.

Thank you very much for the kind thoughts!

P.S. It's a good thread anyway! ;)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, Clint. I guess it is especially hard being so close to Christmas time. If you just need to talk, consider myself and any of my sites as "just family" and we'll be there to talk to.

Take care.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This would be the place.......

Dad was an avid sportsman and had a great love for shooting and guns in general.
In his local SASS (single action shooters society) group he was known as Dakota Dave. He always considered himself a modern day cowboy.
When I was about 15, dad was out riding a big American saddlebred mare in a wide open hay field. This horse loved to run and she was fast. He started at the far end and let her go. She ran full speed about 500 yards straight for the road where we were watching. There was a wire fence between the road and the field. Dad didn't think he could get her stopped so he prepared to jump the fence. She put the skids on and dad went straight over the fence and landed on his butt right in front of us with the reins and bridle still in his hands.

Well, I've got to go. We're having services at a nice little country church today. He'll be laid to rest there in a small graveyard next to the church.

Thanks so much for listening, it really does help!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
When you think of your dad, give him our regards. Wish he had been able to join us here.

Stiff upper lip, my friend....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts