Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In judging this firearm wouldn't you class it with the Beretta M21 and Taurus PT22? That's what I said in a conversation with a former co-worker who had just bought one "For the Wife" when he asked my opinion of it. He stated he was having a hard time getting any accuracy out of it at 7 yards and that his Wife was mostly missing completely at that distance. I also pointed out that stopping power was on the week side (I was being charitable) and the only cure was a lot of practice. He was a little put off when I said the gun may not be suited for his Wife. He also said it was "jamming" a lot. Limp wristing? I offered. Maybe, but he had $350.00 in the gun and wanted to make it work. I counseled practice and more practice but ended on a note that he might be better off trying one of the EZ rack S&W .380 's. I know this wasn't what he wanted to hear.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Did he say what ammo they were using? I absolutely wouldn't recommend a micro-22 pocket pistol for defensive carry, but if it was all I had, I'd load it with minimags; probably the solids. Minimags are the only .22 load that I don't recall ever having any gun jam with. Even Stingers haven't been quite as good in the reliability dept. That said, I'd also try to steer them toward a .380 or even 9mm instead as you are. Even if the gun had a longer barrel to get more power out of it, or if it was in .22WMR, I still don't like a rimfire for 'serious' use. They just aren't as reliably ignition-wise as a centerfire cartridge.

If he's someone you trust much, do you have a small gun he could try out? I've done this on a very few occasions, but not often; at least not 'try out' as in let him take it home without me being there. For someone who's not going to become a regular shooter, I really like DA/SA or DAO guns. They're just simpler, and under stress simple is good. I even like revolvers, but with all the really good semiautos out there now, it'd be hard for me to recommend a small revolver over a small auto - IF they're willing to get even a little training. For someone who doesn't want to learn much about it, I think a revolver can still have a place.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I heard bad things about this variant of the LCP.
Not entirely certain it's ammo related or not.

One LGS said they had nothing but complaints about it.
But again better ammo is hard to consistently find.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he say what ammo they were using? I absolutely wouldn't recommend a micro-22 pocket pistol for defensive carry, but if it was all I had, I'd load it with minimags; probably the solids. Minimags are the only .22 load that I don't recall ever having any gun jam with. Even Stingers haven't been quite as good in the reliability dept. That said, I'd also try to steer them toward a .380 or even 9mm instead as you are. Even if the gun had a longer barrel to get more power out of it, or if it was in .22WMR, I still don't like a rimfire for 'serious' use. They just aren't as reliably ignition-wise as a centerfire cartridge.

If he's someone you trust much, do you have a small gun he could try out? I've done this on a very few occasions, but not often; at least not 'try out' as in let him take it home without me being there. For someone who's not going to become a regular shooter, I really like DA/SA or DAO guns. They're just simpler, and under stress simple is good. I even like revolvers, but with all the really good semiautos out there now, it'd be hard for me to recommend a small revolver over a small auto - IF they're willing to get even a little training. For someone who doesn't want to learn much about it, I think a revolver can still have a place.
Winchester Wildcat and CCI Blazer, and no, I'm not lending him a gun. He was a student when I was a firearms instructor and he needed to be reminded of safety rules more than once. I think it's the wrong gun for his Wife and said so. I gave him some advice on guns that were more likely to work for him but I don't see him coughing up the cash to buy one. I personally see very little use for the LCP .22.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
At best it's a training understudy for the .380...if it'd work.
At worse I don't know if it's heavy enough to be a good paperweight.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At best it's a training understudy for the .380...if it'd work.
At worse I don't know if it's heavy enough to be a good paperweight.
I can't see buying a $350.00 "Trainer" for a LCP .380, can you? It's a "In your face type gun" and popping off .22's isn't going to help much as far as training. It's a waste of money in my opinion, and that's coming from someone that's the worst impulse buyer around.
Brown Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Revolver
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I don't know I've seen 100% green People male and female plow dirt at the 7yd line target before.

I do agree though it just doesn't deliver.

Understand they are what they are either the compact Taurus or Beretta are much more reliable and probably durable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts