Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

The Siege of Jadotville

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Garand 
#1 ·
Wasn't really sure which subforum to put this in, as it encompasses military, politics, history and survival. But to me, it's largely a survival story, so into the 'survival' forum it goes.

It's a story of a group of Irish soldiers in the Congo in the early 1960's, when Tsombe started really showing his butt. While I remember the overall congo nonsense back then, I'd never heard of this story; which is a shame. It's a very good story, right up with some of the best imo.

I started going into why it was such a good story here, but found I was giving away spoiler after spoiler, so I deleted a bunch of what I typed and will just leave it at this: the story shows what a tenacious group can do, it shows what a true scumbag will often do when someone tries to appease him, it shows the disloyal nature of a soulless bureaucracy (the UN), and it shows the evil that is inherent in an armed soulless bureaucracy.

Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/80041653

#3 ·
What are you talking about? Nobody asked you to create anything. Nobody suggested you do anything. Nobody complained about you having done anything.

I posted a link to a movie that I thought others might find interesting.

It has nothing to do with you, unless you maybe want to check out the movie.

#4 ·
Dude - step away from the ambient and trazodone. You really do have some useful info to share, if it didn't get lost when going thru your drug-clogged mental filters. John, in all seriousness; see if you can wean yourself off the prescription drugs. There’s no reason to go thru life in a state of perpetual oblivion.

I got curious and again looked up the side-effects of the drugs you say you take. I was stunned, especially at the Ambien. This is by no means all their published side effects; to keep things short, I deleted a bunch and just kept the ones that seem relevant here:

Trazodone - confusion, dizziness, dizziness, lightheadedness, confusion about identity, place, and time, decreased concentration, general feeling of discomfort or illness, headache, lack of coordination, muscle tremors, nervousness, pounding in the ears, slow or fast heartbeat, unusual excitement

Ambien - clumsiness or unsteadiness, confusion, depression, dizziness, lightheadedness, seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there, unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability, sleepiness or unusual drowsiness, balance disorder, blurred vision, confusion about identity, place, and time, discouragement, double vision, drugged feeling, feeling of unreality, feeling sad or empty, lack or loss of self-control, memory problems, mood swings, nightmares or unusual dreams, sense of detachment from self or body, slowing of mental and physical ability

Fwiw, that’s not my opinion; it’s from the lists of side effects that the manufacturers are required to make public. If you could taper off of them some, it might have an effect you'd actually like.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a Netflix account, I'll give it a go. Thanks, John * I can't pull it up for some reason. Your link shows it, but my Netflix search won't show it.

#7 ·
No go on either. The link shows it, but it's got a free one month offer and no way to pull up the movie, Weird.

#8 ·
I watched the movie this evening. I wish I had watched in the early '70's, then I wouldn't have spent a year in the Middle East wearing a Blue Beret. By the '70's nothing had changed from 1961. In the '90's I had friends serving in Bosnia, nothing has changed since 1961. Now our Prime Minister, a pompous a$$, wannabe rock star with all flash and no substance who is looking for a seat in the Security Council, a peace prize and the cover of Time (as the stupidest man of the year) wants to deploy Canadian soldiers back into Central Africa. At least until the body bags come home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.