1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The Blast Match is neat, but I'll still stick with the old fashioned magnesium fire starter for now. the main drawback I've found with it, besides cost, is the fact that you need to press it into a hard surface.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Seen them before; never tried them. Like Rostov, I'll stick with the "old" magnesium/flint stick in my pack, along with the esbit tabs.

Not as "neat" or primitive as the magnesium starters, but I've had very good luck with butane lighters. Ordinarily, I hate ANYTHING disposable, but at $9 a hundred at Sam's, I use the crap out of them.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A bud that became a Game Warden gave me his because he built a better one for his needs. The whistle is OK, I know that there is a far superior one (I think it's orange).

He said that the wire saws with rings on the end work almost as well and even a couple of them take up less space and weight than the chainsaw-esque one included in the kit.

The main advantage to the blast match is that it can be used one handed, that's about it.

cheers

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I've never used the chain-saw blade version, but the two wire saws I've bought were both crap. They both dulled very quickly, and were very prone to kinking and crimping.

I've since quit carrying wire saw and hatchet, replacing both with a good-quality Fiskars locking folding saw. Cuts quicker than the wire saws, lasts longer before getting dull, can be re-sharpened when it does (wire saws can't; they're basically disposable), and is much quieter, much lighter, and less dangerous to the operator than the hatchet.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I use a combination. I have lifeboat matches, several containers at of them. I also have magnesium firestarter and a good magnifiying glass just made for starting fires (it's plastic.) Add to that a bit of tinder and a bic lighter (to cheep out with now and then.)

My idea is to have backup methods just incase. If I can I'll use the magnifying glass and save the rest for later. I also have been trained how to use the firebow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Garand, I bought one of those kits awhile back from the NRA store without the saw in it for 10 bucks. The sent it without the Blastmatch so they sent another kit and told me to keep the first. I haven't played with the Blastmatch much in it.
I have the Gerber one and also several Firesteels in every kit and on several knife shealths. I teach all the kids in the family to start fires with these before I have them use matches or lighter. I feel it aids in them learning how to properly set up before you begin a fire. Tinder, shaving, fuzz sticks and smaller wood.

I carry matches and a little lighter also they make it alot easier.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts