Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there aint any pros to a LOT of currrent calibers, for that matter, ESPECIALLY rifle calibers. If you've got .22lr, 223, 308, 30 AK, 300 Win mag, you've got it ALL handled, rifle stuff. 30 AK being for subsonic use, in a canned rifle, for sentry removal. There's actually no realistic use for 300 Win Mag, either, and only sporting use for the 308, for that matter,with the possible exception of stupidly shooting thru glass at a hostage holder, by yourself. with 2 guys firing (as SHOULD be the case, even with 308) the 223 is quite likely to succeed at any range or angle that's reasonable for such a shot, since you MUST strike the brain, or EXPECT the guy to harm the hostage.

If you've got .22lr, 9mm, .45, you've got nearly all the pistol needs covered, and if you add 356 TSW, 460 Rowland, you've got them all covered, very well indeed.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Your correct only an idiot would carry a handgun in an obsolete or wildcat cartridge like .356TSW, 9x23mm, .460 Rowland when there is no possibility in resupplying in ammunition. After all, if the balloon ever goes up, nobody knows for what length of time. I guess this means I'm no longer on ignore. :bird: :bird: :bird:

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
For me, the 45-70 which is an old caliber - not obsolete - is a learning process. There are whiffs of little clues out there for starting loads but thats about it. I think its fun to come up with loads for an old cartridge that get every fraction of an inch of accuracy out of my rifle. Will enjoy just trying and testing and having fun.

John Davis, you think that you are a rifleman. That might be true intellectually as far as printed statistics go but you haven't got the soul of a rifleman. You care about weapons only as far as they go for shtf. The rest of us have a life long love and learning experience with our weapons. Old and new, they are there for our protection and for our pleasure, fun, hunting and everything else. You are missing a great deal in life that is good.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Every time he types a line, he proves how limited his life has been. But he was the one to choose that route, for that he has only himself to blame.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Problem is, he's not a rifleman. Never has been. You can tell every time he types something. He can't understand that people really do use rifles outside of pistol range and hit, consistantly. He certainly does not understand medium-range riflery, and forget about long range.

He has limited to no reloading knowledge. Anyone who's reloaded more than one batch of ammo knows that the full-throttle, max-velocity loads are NEVER the most accurate. Yet he thinks you need to load all-out and just plan on missing, thus his dangerous loads and spray 'n' pray philosophy.

He doesn't seem to know much about COMBAT use of a pistol either. No doubt he at least knows the rules of gamesmanship, but doesn't understand a lot of what you'll "learn" in IPSC stages will get you killed in real life.

I don't think he EVER was serious about hunting, tactical or SHTF use of firearms. He had planned to be a top competitor in shooting games before he threw everything away looking for the fast buck. Why do you think ALL of his SHTF plans revolve around being a nomad and HAVING to sneak and steal? Not because he actually thinks the entire world will go back to the stone age overnight. It's because he's thinking of running from the cops, again. Unfortunately, he's proven himself inept at this also. Really think a guy who shoots himself in the foot, while supposedly on the run, and has a battery stolen out of a car he's SLEEPING IN, has enough situational awareness to evade the local bag lady, much less the cops?

It's really sad. You knopw, there's a LOT more to surviving than guns. He can do ALL of it EXCEPT the guns. IIRC he can even possess a bow. So he CAN hunt, fish, learn to build shelters, fires, clothing, etc. All kinds of fun stuff, then talk about something he learned and actually knows about instead of making crap up all day. He's thrown away so much, and keep flushing what's left of his life down the toilet instead of making something out of his waning years.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Garand said:
Your correct only an idiot would carry a handgun in an obsolete or wildcat cartridge like .356TSW, 9x23mm, .460 Rowland when there is no possibility in resupplying in ammunition. After all, if the balloon ever goes up, nobody knows for what length of time. I guess this means I'm no longer on ignore. :bird: :bird: :bird:
Oh, Garand, you hit it right on the nail. Can't fault that logic! But, you and I know the feel of an old Winchester in .33, how that lever moves like it's on oiled railes, brings more smiles than any SHTF fantacy he dreams of. All he dreams about is a kind of dungens-n-dragons pos. We actually do things with our time and money.

Reactions: BigEd and Garand

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
DJetAce said:
All he dreams about is a kind of dungens-n-dragons pos. We actually do things with our time and money.
Dungeon & Dragons? If I was fighting dragons, I'd damn sure want that .45-70!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Dungeon & Dragons? If I was fighting dragons, I'd damn sure want that .45-70!
I don't think I'd want less than an RPG-7!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Problem with the RPG, if the animal is in too close, it won't arm itself, and now ya just pissed off a reptile that makes a Tyrannosaur look like a wuss (although I'm not sure when they DON'T seem pissed, been a while since I saw one). The other problem is you can take yourself out if you're close and it does arm. Now, if you can catch it flying, a Stinger might be a good option. . .

Before someone mentions a .50BMG, remember you'll have to be doing a lot of running, think about doing that with a 33 pound rifle. Hell, that's as heavy as some claim their entire kit is! And if you go up against one with a .22, well, I'll pay to watch.

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I recommend the RPG 7 with the tandem warhead. That will work. If not go thermobaric! If that doesn't kill a dragon nothing will.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Your all going to far with this. For a dragon all you need is a twelve foot oak lance topped with a 4,000 Grain Hornady penetrator tip. Guaranteed, or your money back.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
TODD 3465 said:
OK, everyone missed the best choice, if you're going against a flying&firebreathing dragon you need one of your own. :cool:
Puff the magic dragon.... :madeuce:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Typical jealousy of everyone else here.

From the time frame of Patriot Network on up to the early years of this forum a few of us bought, shot and reloaded ammo for vsrious milsurps or other older type rifles.

Melvin of course can't easily as Slats McNasty the local pusher, pimp and street corner entrepreneur just had what he has and nothing else.

I can't recall the exact brand. The feds might still have a record of it.
But Melvin the SHTF "Shotist" was cornered at his front door with?! A...? Silenced 21A? Nope
Chopped "Pocket Star BM"? Nope, the only BM he probably had at that moment was probably in the seat of his pants not in his front pocket.
He had in his troll claw possession a .22 revolver of unpublished make and model and a bag of .22lr ammo.

Don't know if the estate grounds aka mobile home of the trailer park held any other weaponry but that was one of the news articles I read at the time.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Yes, I have crate's full of 9X21 and .460 Rowland. Doesn't everyone?

Reactions: Garand and BigEd

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, I have crate's full of 9X21 and .460 Rowland. Doesn't everyone?
I have so much of it that in doing my early spring cleaning I threw away a case of each just to get it out of the way 😃

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Kidding aside, has anyone else fired either of these calibers? To my knowledge I've never seen either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts