Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rifle in the link is a .300 WM built by Sako. It appears that the damage is a result of poor metalurgy. I've seen similar results from hotshots that think that they can ignore reloading safety or that they are real armorers and really don't know what they are doing... According to the thread, the shooter was not seriously injured... how, I have no idea. This will really give you the proverbial pucker factor...

Mike

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17626

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The person shooting that rifle experienced a true miracle since he was uninjured. Now picture in your mind an aluminum AR15 receiver letting go like that.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Mike, after looking at picture 16, I believe that the failure originated about 1/8" forward of the forcing cone. In the pictures, it appears that it was due to excessive pressure, as opposed to a material fault.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
diagnosing the cause is way over my head, but the grain structure of the metal looks funny... far from homogenous.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may be right GB... If you scan through the thread, you will note other catastrophic failure links... that is freaking disturbing... there is a consistancy to some of them as well.

Mike

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Makes my knees feel weak just looking at the photo. I remember a while back getting some .50BMG ammo from Paragon. Had a bunch of misfires and an occasional hang fire. Now if you want to have something that will give you a maxi-pucker, think of holding onto a .50 with a hang fire. You will sit there for a solid 3 minutes, scared to death to even move......

Of course, a squib load with a real firing one right after it would sure be exciting as well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Gunkid gives his reloading advice cause he does not reload it or shoot it or ever intend on using it. It's just his fantacy. But his fantacy can get people killed by some very bad advice.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
since none of that crap is anything but PLINKING, why bother with it? For real fighting, tho, the hot loads have their place, making it feasible for concealable weapons to have real power, Just because liars and pussies can't figure it out doesn't make it pointless or dangerous. It just makes them liars and pussies, that's all.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
So tell us about the "real" fighting experience that you have???

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
since none of that crap is anything but PLINKING, why bother with it? For real fighting, tho, the hot loads have their place, making it feasible for concealable weapons to have real power, Just because liars and pussies can't figure it out doesn't make it pointless or dangerous. It just makes them liars and pussies, that's all.
I see, so the AR platform is not able to be blown up by a faulty or hot round?

Plinking? I guarantee that plinker could easily kill you at 400yds.

Hot rounds DO NOT HAVE THEIR PLACE WITH A FIGHTING RIFLE. You know a weapon, like the AR is designed around a cartridge with a specific loading. There is a performance envelope the weapon is optimized for.

A lot of engineering went into the design of both the weapon and the ammo.

But, you know so much more than any engineer, metalurgist, ballistician, etc.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've seen the results of both the M-16 and AR-15 rifles having undergone destruction from a hot round. The receiver turns into shards of aluminum.

This is why I get a good chuckle whenever someone talks at length about making up for a piss poor barrel length by simply increasing the strength of the load.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
mrostov said:
I've seen the results of both the M-16 and AR-15 rifles having undergone destruction from a hot round. The receiver turns into shards of aluminum.

This is why I get a good chuckle whenever someone talks at length about making up for a piss poor barrel length by simply increasing the strength of the load.
You weren't supposed to notice that little detail Mike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts