Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people posted links here and after browsing through them, I came across a site that talked a little about "David's slings" (as in David x Goliath). I lost the link, but did a little searching and found a how-to construct a simple one.

http://www.slinging.org/17.html

Was wondering if this might be a good thing to have in a BOB or even worth developing a skill set for. I know that they were used in ancient times quite effectively, ammo is pretty easy to find and even today the Palestinians use them with relative success. Plus, it seems like it would be very easy to fit in a BOB, taking up very little space.

A good thing or just a waste of time? I love all kinds of different weapons, so I'm probably going to make one just for the heck of it.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I think that it would be interesting to try one just as an experiment. It certainly served David well. Would be curious to see comparison comments from someone who is really good with the more modern slingshot and the David sling. For me, a modern slingshot is hard to beat.

Looked at the site and those things are so easy to make that theres no reason not to give it a try.

RIKA

·
Registered
750 Posts
krept,

We had a rather long and intresting thread on wrist rocket slingshots at one time with many pics ect. It was found that most of us have used them at one point or another to hunt with, but slings never came up.

Teuf,

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
What Teuf said. BTW, gunkid went absolutely spit blowing bananas over anybody wanting to use a slingshot. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Absolutely. I think it went on for almost 2 weeks with gunkid frothing at the mouth the whole time.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL interesting, I don't remember that discussion.

I had a wrist rocket as a kid and became too spoiled by the steel shot and marbles. The surgical tubing works well but it can break, so you'd have to have spares... plus, even though some of them fold up, they don't seem to be as compact as these (everything can roll up into a little ball). It looks like they can also chuck pretty heavy rocks.

Finally, if worse came to worse, a small piece of hide and sinew and you should be able to make another one and transfer a similar skillset.

I know GK says a lot of things aren't really worth considering... but for the cost of these, the time it takes to make them and their inherent simplicity it might be a fun endeavor.

thanks for the thoughts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have always thought it would be fun too figure out the sling, but havn't got around to it yet.

I keep surgical tubing in my BOB as a first aid constricting band and a drinking tube to get water out of those hard to get too places as well as for making a sling shot.

We have killed a bunch of small game over the years with sling shots and shoot the mule deer and antelope to keep them from eating the tree's in the yard. No doubt they are fun to mess with and pretty good small ganme getters as well.

Teuf,

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good idea re: surgical tubing. I'm off to the Grand Canyon for a week and was thinking about something I could use my inline water purifier with and not have to bring the huge Camelbak bladder along. Other uses = gravy. Learn a lot of good stuff here, thanks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Slings are great, ive got a few somewhere around here...

They are extremely effective on birds; even on the wing you can fill them with small stones; It does take alot of practice however.

Larger rocks will take a crow's head right off, no joke.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
IF you hit them. Shephards have nothing to do all day. Unless rocks are PERFECTLY round, (never happens) they will NEVER fly straight. All in all, a HUGE waste time and effort.

I said it all when the SAME pussy who CLAIMED to be able to feed himself with rocks INSISTED on having a .5" at 50 yds .22 autorifle. :) If he can get within 15 ft of quail, (so as to reliably hit them with rocks) wtf does he need a 1 MOA 1022, scope, etc, for, hmm? Men's heads, at 100 yds, are just 4 MOA. :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy is truly infused with the Christmas spirit. Santa must not have left him a genuine Andy Pandy Backpack with the teddy bear embroidered on the flap.

RIKA :santa:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
andy said:
hey, krept, fuck you.

Andy the only thing you know about fucking is being on the reciving end of some boss cons cock in teh prison shower.

Come on tell us all about those times getting ass raped while you were locked up and how you misds your old cell mate BAbe ramming it up your shitbox all night. Its ok to admit you are a butt piirate andy.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Ah yes, the spirit of Christmas NOT stalks the land. Andy is in fine tune today.

I wonder if OLD NUTTY JOHN ever relents with the TOUGH CON ACT, and has a little fun?

Merry Christmas to you, you ex-convict SOB ...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
andy said:
hey, krept, fuck you.
Does this mean that NUTTY JOHN is starting to develop a "THING" for Krept?

Run Krept, run ...

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Original subject intersets Mabu greatly.

Mabu likes weapons used by ancient warriors.

Would like to here any tips on use of sling as far as foot placement etc. for aiming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello , slings are a usefull adition to my bob.I made a few out of some para-cord,and some 3" nylon i had laying around.it does take some practice though.they are cheap to use(rocks,apple's,etc.)and they are a lot of fun! my son's and i use them a lot just screwing around.they weigh very little(1-2 oz.) take up very little space,and can be used for a variety of other purposes(lashing,drags,etc.) they cost me about a dime to make,and they are darn near indestructible(which is a wonderful thing around my yougest boy) they can launch a stone a couple hundred yards easily.I highly recomend them for the entertainment value alone,but they are hell on small game,and birds. :)

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Gunkid, did Santa miss your house again this year??????

1 - 20 of 46 Posts