Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Well after going to a Chinese Buffet last night I have an "expanded" Black Belt in Mu-Gu Gut Pain. :dgrin:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hey RIKA, post the picture you take of Jack's face when he comes home to find you practicing with your whip and tell him it's so you can throw your knives better and ask if he wants to help. :dgrin:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Hey RIKA, post the picture you take of Jack's face when he comes home to find you practicing with your whip and tell him it's so you can throw your knives better and ask if he wants to help. :dgrin:
I can't get the video or whatever it is to run. I do have a whip though - a 6 1/2 footer and can use it pretty good too ... for making noise. I also have a Gil Hibben throwing knife that I can't throw worth a crap. Just toys. Ask Jack about those things and he will laugh.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Closest I ever came to a "throwing "weapon in a scrape was a large,square glass ashtray (in honor of Shrillary) during a general melee I may or may not have made worse in my misspent youth.Ninja "shaken"?Nope....did it give the guy who had a friend of mine down on the floor other problems when it slammed into his forehead from across the floor(one HELL of a party BTW)?You betcha'!!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
RIKA said:
I can't get the video or whatever it is to run.
Not missing much. Their whip handling can best be described as "geeking and flailing" IMO.

I do have a whip though - a 6 1/2 footer and can use it pretty good too ... for making noise. I also have a Gil Hibben throwing knife . . .
And you wonder why everyone thinks you're sexy, even without knowing what you look like?

·
Banned
59 Posts
better be PLURAL if you are going to throw them. One, thrown by the hilt, at just out of arm's reach, can be ok, if you retain the other one. MUCH more likely to have the walking stick (when needed) than the whip. You probably wouldn't last an hour, walking down most streets with a whip. You'd at least be disarmed, if not locked up.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'm sure RIKA would have quite an entourage if she walked down the street with a whip.

·
Registered
187 Posts
RIKA said:
I can't get the video or whatever it is to run. I do have a whip though - a 6 1/2 footer and can use it pretty good too ... for making noise. I also have a Gil Hibben throwing knife that I can't throw worth a crap. Just toys. Ask Jack about those things and he will laugh. RIKA :)
I started throwing knives when I was about 12 years old. I knew Gil and Linda Hibben when their boys were very young. (I still remember when Tommy broke his arm.) Back in the 70's Gil made me one of what has to be his most unusual knives. It's a large curved buckle knife with a turquoise inlaid handle. The blade conforms to the circle of the waist and sports a wicked California-clipped 6" blade.

If you want to learn knife throwing pick ONE SET DISTANCE. (8 to 12 feet) Hold the knife exactly the same way every time. (By the handle is preferred for most - but not all blades.) Use a SOFT wood board as a backstop and place a heavy blanket on the floor in front of it. Don't start out by throwing either too hard or too fast. Do NOT throw any knife that isn't specifically designed to be thrown. Ordinary knives will either shatter, or the handles will fracture if you throw them more than once or twice. (The backward flying pieces will be very dangerous, too!)

In the beginning you're going to have to be quick on your feet and watch out for, 'bounce backs'. After awhile you'll notice exactly how the knife is hitting the backstop. Little by little you'll learn how to control the point so that you can arc the knife over 8 to 12 feet and bury the point every time. One knife isn't enough to practice with; you'll need, at least, three.

It takes a lot of practice to be a good knife thrower; I used to put in, at least, a good hour everyday. Once you've got it down, you'll be able to start throwing from 10 to 15 feet out with spinning overhand tosses. In close, you'll be able to use an underhand lob that won't spin the knife, but, will send it over 4 to 6 feet while traveling only point first.

Is there any practical value to this sort of skill? I don't know; but, I once watched some Indian guy named, ‘Chingachgook’ take out three opponents: Two of them were already out of the fight before he even closed with them! By the way, the best place to carry any knife is, UP YOUR SLEEVE! That's why I'm always wary of, 'arm's reach' in an opponent, and also tell people to make sure they stand off the other guy's vertical body centerline. :twohammer

Today, I'm getting too old for a lot of this stuff. (Timing and reflexes DO pass with increasing age.) As a matter of fact in the next couple of months I'm going to put up a lifetime's collection of fighting and throwing knives on E-Bay. (Just can't see, 'sticking' the widow with them after I'm gone.) :D

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thanks for the advice, SG. I'll give it a try. Please let us know when you put those knives up on Ebay; some of us might want to bid.

RIKA

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem with throwing any type of weapon at an opponent is that it has the potential of coming back at you in a decidedly unpleasant manner. The way I see it, if you need to remove someone from a distance, well.....that's why God gave us brilliant men like Sam Colt, John Browning, Pietro Beretta, and Bill Ruger Sr. Happy shooting.....and throwing. :)

:madeuce:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
MileHighSailor said:
The problem with throwing any type of weapon at an opponent is that it has the potential of coming back at you in a decidedly unpleasant manner.
The best throwing weapons are grenades as they alleviate that little problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts