Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the "extra" ejection port pop noticed with this little gun, as vs what is noticable with other .22 autos. M21's slide weighs about half what many other 22 autopistol slides weigh, and the recoil springs aint that tough. So the M21's slide blows open a bit sooner than does that of other .22 autos, so there's a bit more ejection port noise.

·
Registered
296 Posts
if you overweight slide....on a beretta m21
how the heck are you supposed to extract?
please show me a pic of you m21 extractor and i will be a believer.
bet you can't
sean

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
andy said:
the "extra" ejection port pop noticed with this little gun, as vs what is noticable with other .22 autos. M21's slide weighs about half what many other 22 autopistol slides weigh, and the recoil springs aint that tough. So the M21's slide blows open a bit sooner than does that of other .22 autos, so there's a bit more ejection port noise.

WHAT THE FUCK? ol'boy[mister160]....???? i think an ounce and a half

would suffice!... but then again you do have the 'flair' for drama!!!

:roflmao1: :roflmao1: :roflmao1: :roflmao1: :roflmao1:

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I still want to hear what he knows about TIG. Like, how do you prep the metal? What kind of bead are you going to run? What voltage? what kind of gas are you going to use? What kind of stick are you using in the torch?

Not to mention, how are you going to keep the slide from warping from the weld job?

Mike

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
I still want to hear what he knows about TIG. Like, how do you prep the metal? What kind of bead are you going to run? What voltage? what kind of gas are you going to use? What kind of stick are you using in the torch?

Not to mention, how are you going to keep the slide from warping from the weld job?

Mike
I would make a bet that NUTTY JOHN doesn't know what the acronym TIG means. And he probably doesn't know what ARGON is either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
but seriously how the heck would it extract the round...??? :laugh01:
the beretta 21 uses leftover gas pressure in the barrel to blow the spent case back out of the chamber where it hits the ejector and flips out of the fire arm.

if you weighted the slide more the gas pressure would not be high enough to accomplish this task. the popping you hear when the slide comes back is actually gasses escaping after blowing the spent casing out. the only way to use a heavier slide would be to lengthen the barrel. and that would defeat the entire purpose of the 21 in the 1st place.

not only would welding on the slide with tugsten inert gas :) or anyother method most likely warp the slide or at the least cause some stresses possibly enough for a failure. but it would also require retempering i would think.

maybe it would be best if you left it alone.

sean

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I probably shouldn't say this, because it will give NUTTY JOHN a hint. But, there is a temperature the slide SHOULD be heated to, before welding, that would stop any warping movement of the casting. All firearm slides are heat treated after manufacture, to relieve stress and to strengthen the slide.

However, I won't say what PROCESS, should used to HEAT, and COOL, the slide, or to what temperature, just so that NUTTY JOHN may blow up his gun and take himself out.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I probably shouldn't say this, because it will give NUTTY JOHN a hint. But, there is a temperature the slide SHOULD be heated to, before welding, that would stop any warping movement of the casting. All firearm slides are heat treated after manufacture, to relieve stress and to strengthen the slide.

However, I won't say what PROCESS, should used to HEAT, and COOL, the slide, or to what temperature, just so that NUTTY JOHN may blow up his gun and take himself out.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
What is the slide on the famous Bereeteta M21 made out of? Anyone know?

Job knowledge for welders 6: Tungsten inert gas (TIG or GTA) ... - TIG Welding. Tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding became an overnight success in the 1940s for joining magnesium and aluminium. Using ...

http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/getfile/jk6.html

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Does anyone know what MIG welding is?

What three gases are used, in MIG welding?

·
Registered
296 Posts
carbon steel.....
or stainless if the inox version

3 gasses co2 argon helium.......oh dont forget the tri mix and co2 argon mix

perhaps we should be asking which gasses to which metals

and what martinite and austinite are? and thier effects on steel.

this could go on forever.

but i still don't believe the pistol will cycle properly or eject properly with that added weight.

sean

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
AZ COLLECTOR said:
carbon steel.....
or stainless if the inox version

3 gasses co2 argon helium.......oh dont forget the tri mix and co2 argon mix

perhaps we should be asking which gasses to which metals

and what martinite and austinite are? and thier effects on steel.

this could go on forever.
It is quiet obvious to me that you know what you are talking about.

but i still don't believe the pistol will cycle properly or eject properly with that added weight.

sean
Again, you are right in your analysis. But, we shouldn't tell NUTTY JOHN, let him find out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
well, i don't know dick about welding but I do about steel from remedial knifemaking. even with "carbon steel" you can get into the 10xx, 4xxx and 5xxx ranges, have to know the different A1,2 and 3 temps, what the quenchent is, how long to temper for (considering the voids make it less dense than a smiliar size of barstock) and at what temp. Heck, how long do you want it to soak for at critical for the intended application. It's a real PITA with even a known carbon steel if you don't have a good electronic furnace... if it's stainless, I'd send it out to be professionally done for sure because it's so @#%[email protected] complicated.

That said, I'm pretty damn sure GK knows about TIG welding considering some advice he's given me about different setups. Just because I've blurted all that garbage out doesn't mean I can grind a blade.

cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
:headbang:
sorry i never did get the hang of not sharing info and or my limited knowledge.
well i need a nap had a 16hr day fighting with flow control valves. hopefully will enjoy some nice sunny days 65-70* F here in AZ :cool:

sean

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u don't think so because you are too stupid and lazy to go WEIGH some .22 slides. I just use argon for both aluminum and steel. I wouldn't bother with stainless. It aint as lw as alumium, and if it's as durable as carbon steel, it's a mf to machine, and there's no need for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ok now i understand :rolleyes:

i'm thinking you are a younge kid with out a clue ...... or totally ignorant.

this is after reviewing all the posts of yours on this site.

COME TO AZ PROVE IT SHOW ME
I WILL COVER THE ROOM AND BOARD AT A HOTEL (yes hotel not motel)
if you prove me and what seems like every one wrong i will publically admit it and i think most will no longer doubt you so much.

one stipulation....nothing illegal to be demonstrated or attempted.

sean

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Man you sure can't beat the weather out here this time of year... I think it's the third time in almost nine months I wore a long sleeve shirt. :D

cheers

·
Registered
296 Posts
phoenix must be warmer than yuma.
when starting work at 430am it has been friggen cold.
but warms nicely through the day.
if i remember right much better then those up north dealing with that white fluffy litter from the clouds been so lond i think it was called.....SNOW. :)
sean
krept if you wind up in the yuma area give me a call perhaps we can go shooting or fishing. [email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts