Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using something that he calls the ".45 Professional", it's a cut down 284 Winchest case, using 230 gr .45 ACP bullets,at 2900 fps. :) 4300 ft lbs. I'd never load it THAT hot, but 3000 ft lbs might make for a good "bear gun". You might be able to get 270 gr,solid bronze slugs going 2250 fps, and then you could take ELEPHANT with a CAR-15. :) Jack OConnor's wife took a tusker with a 3000 ft lbs 30-06,with one shot to the ear hole. Kilamajaro Bell took hundres of themwith 2400ft lb 7x57 Mauser and 6.5 loads. Several guys have taken elephant with big pistols,even. The solid bronze bullets, tho,in an autorifle, would let you stop a charge by YOURSELF,instead of depending upon your guide and his heavy rifle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah these .45 and .50 cal uppers seem sorta neat in concept for some specialized tasks or just busting up bricks. Wonder if rumors are true that some military units tested them for CQB because of the ability to defeat cover? What's Hack say? ;)
Not worth a grand for an upper though unless the gubment's buying!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haven'tasked him,but I will.:)

Man, 230grs at 2900 is 66 recoil-momentum, same as 1 oz 12 ga slug at 1500 fps. That would NEED to weigh 9 lbs, even with a gas op auto and AR's straight back stock-recoil design. :) I think it would beat up an AR in short order.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I bought a .50 Beowulf upper a while back and found it to be rather accurate and reliable. Does beat against your shoulder a bit, though. Couple of shots and you will be able to see the design on the buttstock engraved into your shoulder.

Usual loading is a 325 grain projectile around 1900 fps, so it's not as bad as it could be on recoil. A heavier gun would make it a pussy cat, I think.

Don't know about longevity of the AR parts with this pounding, but I sure would think it would reduce it somewhat.

Cost me around $600, and ammo is around $1 per pop.

Probably one of those novelty items that will fade into the sunset... But it's a fun toy to shoot every now and again.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see putting away a .50 BMG upper

just in case, and having a .30 AK upper,just in case. They offer special performance that might be nice to have, in case it's ever time to initiate shtf.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pigs r such close range game that it's a

real shame to shoot them with rifles, instead of finding out the truth about what ccw pistol loads do on flesh and blood.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Here's a link to some info on that .50 Beowulf:

Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf

There is another manufacturer (can't think of the name) who makes a similar .50 upper, but I believe it is not compatible with the Beowulf.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Olympic or someone offers .50 AE

uppers for AR's (or did at one time, anyway). American Survival Guide did an article on them.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I bought a .50AE upper years ago from some outfit out of Colorado, I think. Didn't work well at all. The machining on the bolt left the bolt lugs looking flimsy as hell. The extractor was just a thin piece of metal that I would have been surprised if it had lasted 200 firings.

Jammed a lot, and I mean a LOT. The kicker was when I pulled out the magazine to clear another jam and the magazine unloaded all remaining rounds all by itself onto the ground.

Sent that puppy back.

The .50 Beowulf uses a rebated rim so the gun can use a standard 7.62x39 bolt instead of having custom machining. The .50AE is just too big for machining a .223 bolt. Perhaps a modified AR10 would have been a better choice using a modified .308 bolt.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no interest myself. Might one day

get a .30 AK upper, in order to use the cheap ammo, steel cored ammo, and a 180 gr, spitzer subsonic load, thru a can, so as to have a bit more power and range than is possible with the subsonic 22lr thru the conversion unit, for "special missions".

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Special missons?

ha ha ha ha - more Rambo fantasies...

Got to take out them sentries around the toy aisle at walmart, do ya?

You may want to have your meds adjusted again... they're definately out of kilter.

:devil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts