Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, oh, why do dog's feel a necessity to roll on something dead? Today was closing day of duck season and I had the good luck to knock down a green head mallard. Starlight retrieved it like a champ, dropped it at my feet, unusual for her, then scamppered off to roll around in the weeds. When I called her in she smelled like something that could knock the proverbial "Buzzard off a S*** wagon." She rode home in the back of the truck. (I have a topper) At least 30 minutes shampooing her outside before the lady of the house would permit her back in. If I'm camping and fishing by the river she will find the nastiest, three day dead Carp and roll in that. Isn't that pleasant in a tent? So it's down to the river and scrub with hand soap. I end up smelling worse than the dog. I asked two veterinarians about this and got two different answers. One said dog's do it to repel predators. The other said dog's did it to attract smaller predators so they can kill and eat them. What are your thought's?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
now! i'm not lil' sister[rika] but my take is it's, perfume/war-paint.
they do sniff each others ass-holes.
what smells vile to us , might just be a 'party favor' to the 'normal' gun-dog!
hey! terry, ...just my .02

:wavey:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I'm kind of with Brass on this one. Dogs read the wind like we read a newspaper and every dog I've ever had just had to stick its nose into every place that it could find. No real explanation to offer. Perhaps dogs are just perverts in the olfactory sense. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Maybe because a dog's primary sense is its sense of smell? By smelling like the environment, it's a way of claiming ownership? Kinda like peeing everywhere, if they "put on" the dominant smell of an area, other dogs will think that dog owns it?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I had a dog that would roll on every evil smelling thing he could find.

We lived in an area that flooded every spring during spring runoff. When the run off receded, pools would be left with Carp and Squaw fish in them. Eventually the pools would dry up and the fish would die. If I didn't keep the dog in the yard for amonth to sixweeks, we could plan on having a smelly dog. If you washed him off, and he could get out, he would run back to the smelly fish and do it again.

I think a dog, being a predator, uses such things to mask his scent.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Didn't think of it right then but I like to eat anchovys on my pizza. I open up a can and pour the oil on their food and the dogs go absolutely nuts. You would think that it was something addictive from the way they act. Maybe they just like stinky stuff.

RIKA

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been told that dogs like to wear scents just like people wear cologne. Of course that could be just BS too. :laugh:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haw haw .......oder de dead possum...my little squirrel dogs would do that sheet all the time too run over someones cow pasture an come back with green cow poo all over them I's wid the idea they jus perverts.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Mustafa Jones said:
Haw haw .......oder de dead possum...my little squirrel dogs would do that sheet all the time too run over someones cow pasture an come back with green cow poo all over them I's wid the idea they jus perverts.
Those must be southern dogs ... :dgrin:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
Didn't think of it right then but I like to eat anchovys on my pizza. I open up a can and pour the oil on their food and the dogs go absolutely nuts. You would think that it was something addictive from the way they act. Maybe they just like stinky stuff.

RIKA
RIKA, anchovies on your pizza? Thats almost blasphemy ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts