Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Otherwise known as "squirrels".

For the longest time, I really enjoyed these critters around the house. Pesky around the bird feeders, and it was a real challenge for them to keep me busy trying to outsmart them. They would give me a full day to believe I had finally outsmarted them before lowering the boom on my ego.

But they made a fatal mistake. I am growing stands of LARGE timber bamboo species. Now this is no way in hell a natural food item for them, but the little tree weasels will climb to the top of a 20 foot tall culm, bite into the tip of it and chew a little bit, then jump over to the next one, doing the same thing. In this manner they completely destroyed on whole year's worth of new growth.

Fact is, I like my bamboo more than I do squirrels. But once they learned I was no longer their buddy, they became very discreet about their activities. And I think they know my one flaw. I will not get up early for anything other than maybe driving to a gun show. So I think they take advantage of this.

So what I am asking here is if there are any expert tree rat hunters out there that can give me some tips on plinking those suckers. I need to wipe them out completely before the bamboo starts shooting again in late March or early April.

I tried a live trap, but caught exactly one, before they all figured out that thing. I guess maybe I can get some huge gray rat snakes and release them in my bamboo groves, and maybe that isn't a half bad idea. But I still want to be ready with the .22 (or maybe that new .17HMR I bought), and would like to know the tips from the pros in the audience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heck, you don't need any tips. Your last sentence contained the answer... (.17). I just picked up one a few months ago for the ground version. I haven't used it yet, but just sighting it in--wow, that little round is fun!

Check this out (NOT mine-but good):

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd advise you to sit down and re-watch Caddyshack. Bill Murray is the Grandmaster of all varmint hunters. Maybe you could try to fashion a squirrel out of C4, or maybe his friend Mr. Gopher. :)

would like to know the tips from the pros in the audience.
Heck, all we used was a .22, a lawn chair and a frosty beverage

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a process:

1) fill up 10/22 clips

2)open basement window

3)fill bird feeders

4)move lazy-boy close to window

5)turn on TV and wait

Seems like a great process..if only i could remember to pick up empty casings before wife finds them, guess she doesn't enjoy steping on them;)

Gary,
That is the best part of the movie "don't mind those wires sticking out of my butt, doctors orders" Bill Murray at his best for sure

·
Registered
14 Posts
CAV,
You made me spit my frosty beverage on my screen with that one!! That was funny! Rich, I'm with CAV! You might as well enjoy yourself while waiting them out!
Ken Chiarella

G

·
put peanut butter on some rat traps

screen them from the birds, tie them to tree limbs. Presto, no more squirrel problem.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
My son & I love squirrel season. We have some rules for squirrel hunting:

The usual safety ones, plus:

headshots only.

We keep track of the # of squirrels we take (obeying the limit laws) and only tally up head shots.

Nice little competition and builds good shooting skills.

I'm using a .22mag, so I have to do head shots to avoid tearing up the meat.

He's using a .22

I may switch to a pistol for more of a challenge.

Last time we went out, we were both 10 for 10 head shots. (10 is daily limit)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tree rats are pests to my bamboo groves. So fair sporting rules does not apply.... :mad: I'd REALLY like to set up there with my Winchester Heavy Varmint in .220 Swift and blow the suckers to smithereens. :uzi:

Instant fertilizer for the plants as well....

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Rich Z said:
The tree rats are pests to my bamboo groves. So fair sporting rules does not apply.... :mad: I'd REALLY like to set up there with my Winchester Heavy Varmint in .220 Swift and blow the suckers to smithereens. :uzi:

Instant fertilizer for the plants as well....
funny you should mention using a .220 swift....

I was coyote hunting with a friend of mine and he was using a 220 swift.

we happened to see a rock squirrel about 15yds away as we finished a stand.

I brought up my bino's so I could watch in detail....basically it vaporized the top half of the squirrel.

Very interesting to watch! Boom, red mist, no squirrel...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rich...bait and bench! Put up 2-3 suirel feeders and load 'em up with squirrel food from your local pet store. Its better to just build a few from some scrap wood as you will invariable put some holes in them. Buy the big bag of food. Wait a week or so. Set up a bench at "at least" 100 yards...a folding chair and TV dinner table will do. Heavy rounds (.220 etc.) is more noise resulting in fewer shots. 22lr is not the best choice at a distance. If you have a 22 mag use it. 4X12 is a MINIMUM scope so if your rig is less than that swap it out from another of your rigs 'till your infestation clears. I use Federal premium as they have the speer 30 grain jhp with terrific spread...since your not interested in pelts. Head shots are preferable. Now if your really into it you can buy a squirrel whirl. Its a squirrel toy that the critters play on and makes for good shots when they stop spinning to jump off. They don't call me squirrel man for nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you really want to get them alive....

get some live squirrel traps with some food in them. When you catch one, immediately release it. Keep doing this over and over for about a week. At the end of the week most of the squirrels will have learned that they can easily go get food and be released, so you will catch large numbers of them, little do they know of their demise on the 8th day.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I dunno........I've shot them for years with my .410.

If I didn't want to be sporting, I'd just go buy a sack of feed corn and sprinkle a little on the ground. Give it a day or two and then set up on the bastards. Bushwacking them shouldn't be any problem at all.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking more along the line of Claymores....................... :dgrin:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Rich, didn't you say you bought an FNP90?

Wonder how the 5.7 would stack up against squirrels (not that I don't already have a pretty good idea).

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coyote said:
Rich, didn't you say you bought an FNP90?

Wonder how the 5.7 would stack up against squirrels (not that I don't already have a pretty good idea).
Well, honestly, I seriously doubt their fur would defeat those rounds..... :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
"5.7mm vs. "Tree Rats..."

I would think the mess & eventual smell would be a real drag in short order; not to mention the clean-up, or the neighbor's bitchin..! (LOL..!) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts