Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pivoting trigger makes tha 1911 style screw problemic, and it's much easier to just square off ( a little angle, actually) the back of the trigger bar. its on the outside of the frame, so removal of the grip panel exposes it. pry it out and down out of the way. drill a hole into the side of the frame Install a roll pin, press fit and red loctited for insurance. file off the back of the trigger bar until the half cock notch does not "rub over" the sear, when the trigger's held fully back. You'll be amazed at how much it helps your shooting, especially mid range really fast shooting.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Don't buy one, therefore NO problem!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beats the eff out of a makarov, certainly. cant cut on hammer or sear of stars unless you re case harden the stoned areas. If you don't heed this warning, you'll soon have ruined a sear and hammer and they AINT easy to find or cheap. Dont dryfire a star without an empty casing in the chamber, either. If you do, you'll break the firing pin in short order.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I like my Makarovs. Star and Astra were two companies I DO wish would make a comeback. I liked their stuff, whether from the Franco era,or late 1980's&1990's. Good guns.
Why no Makarovnik love,Gospadin Nikto?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
why would I like them? they are a feeble caliber, are large and heavy, have no .22 unit, are not pocketable. They are only a blowback, with horrific DA trigger pull. what's to like, other than being $200 cheaper than the far superior Star BM 9mm? $200 is at most 800 rds of ammo, which is nothing. need at least 5000 rds per year to STAY good (assuming that you ever WERE good, of course). so if you can't afford a better gun, better just get a Phoenix Arms HP 22, wear it hammer down, practice thumb cocking it IN your pocket, and keep your hand on it whenever possible. Cause you aint gonna have enough skill for anything else to matter. You're all bluff. at least the HP22 offers a nice silenced option, vs the 5" barrel. It's got a rock solid mounting of the barrels. you can have both for $200, spare mags are $15, accuracy is acceptable, once you loctite the rear sight. you'll be able to practice a lot, forage quietly, and you won't be kidding yourself about the "power" of your gun/load

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Both of mine have good DA pulls and EXCELLENT SA pulls. Both are accurate, reliable; and bit with sufficient authority that I don't feel under armed hiding one one me with several magazines also tucked out of sight. And,although I'm a wiry-strong chimp of a guy, I'm by no means big (5'8"<150). If I can CC them without extraordinary means,anyone can. P64? THAT had a heavy DA pull. Wolff Gunsprings was an easy fix. And the SA pull was/is scary light. Both weapons are " Hearts And Minds Accurate ". Heavier recoil springs, also from Wolff increase both durability AND give a margin of safety for hot loads without compromising reliability. I like them,wish I had more; and would like a P83 or CZ82 as well.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
until you shoot some critters with one, you don't know how feeble they are. the DA SA changeup sucks, everyone knows that. which is why so many favor either DAO, glock, or cocked and locked SA. you're kidding yourself about several mags ccwed with it. you'll never get to use them, cause y ou're MISSING too much and have too many enemies, and aint hitting them HARD enough. same money as several Maks, can have one GOOD pistol. So why choose the maks?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Makarovs do good enough for their intended purpose: Bringing the hate to an attacker QUICKLY. They are easy to shoot well under stress ( at least for me). The triggers are actually pretty damn good( again, my EG and Circle 10 are the examples I cite.) Many carry a smallish .380 or 9x19. I find these superior to the former and close to the latter all things being equal. Against people, they're just fine. No,they're not a .357,or a hot loaded 40- something. But, they'll kill as dead as anything else. Oddly enough, I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do,or even as much as I like the 7.62x25( for long shots I do like my Tokarev stuff). But, they're natural pointers for me,as well as the other characteristics I mentioned earlier. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Besides: I don't kid or spin tales about my own experiences. Never felt the need. Look at it this way: even at today's prices, they're still a good deal, a viable CC option; and as I said before- again based on MY experiences- can be and HAVE BEEN used effectively under stress.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so have mini-revolvers, but why take the chance? there's MUCH better choices available, for $200-$300 more $

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Flexibility, versatility & fun!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Besides-I never COULD hit beyond an arm's length with a mini revolver- or a derringer for that matter. A P64 is about as small as I like to work with.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can print 2" groups at 25 yds, still, with a good 2" Kit gun .22 and ammo it likes, from sitting braced. but what can be done from practice conditions and what can be done in 1/2 second, as you draw, those are very different things

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
True. Short barreled revolvers tended to be better shooters in my hands than short barreled autos,all other things being equal.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.38 snub is 6.5" long. a M21 Beretta is 5" long, with the 2.5" barrel. Install the 4" barrel, making it 6.5" long and it will easily group 2" at at 25 yds, from a braced firing position and it will lie in your pocket MUCH flatter than will the kit gun and of course, offer a silenced option, which the revolver cannot do. Need the improved sights and overtravel removed from the trigger, tho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts