Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

u can WISH for 30 cal, but u cant CARRY 1

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Garand 
#1 ·
very long, shtf conditions. U will NEED the .22 unit, can, concealment, one hand use, lw, compactness, GI replacable rd, etc, so you will either SWITCH, or be dead. Good riddance to the ignorant, arrogant pos's who "think" otherwise. :)

#4 ·
The FN FAL was my issue rifle for 13 years, 7 of that was as an infanteer. I've carried it in the field for more days than you have spent earning an honest days paycheck

#6 ·
bttt, Wannabe

#8 ·
u can WISH for 30 cal, but u cant CARRY 1 very long, shtf conditions...
Yes I can, actually. My .30 caliber AR not only weighs the same as a same-size .223 caliber AR, it's actually MORE powerful at the same time.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Wood

And it doesn't NEED any conversion kit to use both full-power and subsonic loads. And the .300 whisper AR15 absolutely DID exist when you wrote this. Not only did you KNOW it existed, you yourself said that it was something to be desired, and that you would use it to take out sentries silently with brain shots out to 175 yards. And it's very relevant that you said all that BEFORE you started this thread. Or did you forget that..?
...The .300 Whisper is for silencing sentries, with subsonic loads and brain shots, at up to 175m.
Point being simply that when you created this thread specifically to say that a .30-caliber rifle inherently didn't have the light weight, concealability, and compactness of a .223 rifle, you knew it wasn't true.

Good riddance to the ignorant, arrogant pos's who "think" otherwise. :)
And good luck to the petulant adolescents who let their emotional attachments cloud their choices and refuse to accept anything that wasn't invented in the 1960's.

#10 ·
one .30 caliber I do carry, and hunt with:

another .30 caliber I do carry and hunt with:

I neither need nor want the .22 unit - I'd rather not cripple my rifle. If I need a .22, I'll use a .22 pistol.

In the past you made comments about only needing 200 rounds or so, to survive. If you are correct, then GI round is meaningless in the discussion. (7.62x51 is a GI round, btw) and I can carry more than 200 rounds of that or .300 AAC Blackout.

with either weapon, I would be better off than with your shorty AR.

#11 ·
Currently,I think I have most of the "standard" .30cal cartridges. 300BO, .308WIN, .30-'06 and .300WinMag.
If set up properly and with proper support gear. None are all that difficult to carry.
And for goodness sake in my youth I drug a M-60 around the woods in Alabama for awhile. You got used to it. Sure made the M16A2'S even feel like a BB gun afterwards.

#12 ·
Currently,I think I have most of the "standard" .30cal cartridges. 300BO, .308WIN, .30-'06 and .300WinMag.
I'm down to just two of those calibers, .300 blackout and .308; and not many of those. Only one .308, a bolt-action 20" carbine with scout scope; one .300bk 10" AR pistol and one 16" .300BK single-shot break-open from CVA.

#13 ·
Melvin, some .30 cal's are lighter than others

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd
#14 ·
very long, shtf conditions. U will NEED the .22 unit, can, concealment, one hand use, lw, compactness, GI replacable rd, etc, so you will either SWITCH, or be dead. Good riddance to the ignorant, arrogant pos's who "think" otherwise. :)
This is an old thread that seems to pop up every once in a while.

I'm going to attempt to break it down from my perspective:

.22 unit

I don't think I will need the .22 unit - I believe it is a very bad idea to cripple your fighting rifle. The argument has been made that it can be swapped out quickly. No matter how quickly you can swap it out, you are not in the fight - you are effectively disarmed. A myriad of things can go horribly wrong while trying to do this under fire. You can lose parts of your BCG. You can install the BCG improperly. You can fail to seat a magazine, or insert the wrong magazine in your haste. But, like I mentioned just now, even if everything goes perfectly, you are out of the fight for however long it takes to complete the swap and re-engage your attackers.

Personally, I will opt for a .22 pistol. If necessary, I simply let go of the pistol and transition to the rifle - if I don't have any time. If I do, the pistol can be shoved in a pocket or a holster with one hand as the other begins bringing the rifle to bear. (rifle should be slung in ready position, not admin carry)

Suppressor (can?)

A suppressor is a great tool. It is a nice to have, not a have to have. If you need a suppressor to survive, you have already failed. Suppressors can be damaged or lost. Contrary to what Hollywood would have the uninitiated believe, suppressors do not magically make the sound go away. I shoot with them regularly (see pictures in a post above)

Concealment

Understanding how to use cover and concealment is important. Cover is far more valuable than concealment. Concealment hides you, cover protects you. it's not something you carry with you. Even a Ghillie suit needs the right environment to be effective.

One hand use

I find most AR pistols to be a compromise - they are fun to shoot. It's easier to shoot a full sized pistol. There may be times where shooting one-handed is necessary, but I don't see an 10.5 - 11" AR being that useful in single handed use. This isn't a big consideration for me - your mileage may vary.

Compactness

My (legal) 10.5" SBR in .300 blackout is very compact. It also outperforms a similar AR in .223 / 5.56. But, if I had to use my full size AR 10, not a big deal. you make adjustments in how you do certain things, but unless you're climbing in and out of a vehicle all day, it isn't as big an issue as you might think. As long as you train with your gear regularly, most issues go away as handling the weapon becomes second nature.

GI replaceable round

being able to resupply in the field sounds good, but depending on it is bad. If you're in a position to recover ammo in the field, then you are also likely in a position to recover weapons too.
If your goal is to avoid getting into fights, then you probably won't need to be carrying a lot of ammo. The OP in this thread has been adamant about not ever needing more than 200 rounds of ammo for your fighting rifle. carrying 200 rounds should not be beyond anyone's abilities.

Summary

This is just my not so humble take on things. Your situation will be 100% different from mine. Ask questions, do a little research. figure out what will work for you. If someone tells you that their way is the only way, I'd suggest you consider other sources for information.

#15 ·
Regarding the .22 unit, I agree with you regarding the degrading of your main defensive firearm. Personally I like the idea of using on my backup as a small game getter. As for a "GI" round, if the balloon goes up it will be "come as you are". Depending on someone else to bring your resupply to the fight is a fools bet. Regarding the AR's & Suppressors, well up here they are not as legal as they are in the lower 48, they would be nice but not mandatory. Everyone's environment is different, there is no one solution for the entire continent of North America.

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd
#16 ·
Re-read the OP, I think - though it isn't entirely clear, that the concealment was meant for concealing the rifle. I'm of the opinion, that it's either time to be armed, or it isn't, so concealing the rifle isn't high on my priority list. I think if it is an end of the world scenario, being in a plate carrier will be a giveaway that I'm more than likely armed....

But that's just me.

#17 ·
In a catastrophic event, having a firearm noticeably available will tell people that you are either someone to wary of or you are a potential victim. The need for a concealable rifle is only required for the most part if you have bad intensions towards others. Melvin's plan since day 1 has been to act as a marauder, with minimal equipment and minimal preplanned stores to support him.

Reactions: BigEd