Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old man, or you'd never have favored the .30 Carbine. So what's with this "need" to hit further than the 400m that the scoped shorty 223 can deliver, hmm? It can hit at that range at LEAST as "well" as the 30C can hit at 200m, on torsos. lot more likley to SEE them, with a scope, too. :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
One thought, as you so frequently bring up, is we ain't in the military...

Korea had a lot of static battle fronts ( and a lot of fluid ones too).

I don't see any rules about waiting for the bad guys (whoever they are) to cross some politically defined line in the sand.

The smart thing is to engage the enemy as far away as you are capable of doing so effectively. This helps eliminate the FUBAR factor from happening where you have no options to recover from it. (And it can still happen at any range)

If I have 5 seconds to recover from an OH SH!T at 200 yds, and 2 seconds to recover at 100yds, I'll take the 5 second advantage every single time.

If I get a 20 second advantage at 300yds - guess what I'm picking.

if 500yds gives me a minute advantage, I'm there.

The shorty CAR is not a good choice for a 400m weapon - remember folks the shorty in question here has a 10" barrel, not a 16"

Argue it any way you want, but the 10" is not a good choice for 400m engagments.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I had no need to get hits with a shoulder arm beyond 200 yards in Korea because I was an artillery forward observer with an infantry rifle compay. The 160 insantrymen in that company were armed with M1 Garands, Browning Automatic Rifles and .30 calober amd .50 caliber machine gunsTheir job was to engage the enemy at longer ranges.
My deadliest weapons were my tactical radios which gave me the abilit to call in the fire of up to 600 cannons, 105mm, 155mm and 8 inch (203mm)
which were far more effective than any rifle or carbine,
The carbine was the best available weapon for me then. If the M16 rifle had been available at the time I would have carried it, but of course it was not. If you have any further questions ak me in a civil fashopn and I will be glad to answer them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Talk Chosin Reservoir. Where the Chinese held the high ground all around the Marines. The Marines had to retreat (no attack in another direction, right) under fire from the Chinese who were 200 to 1000 yards away. The Marines had to SHOOT their way out. With M1 Garands, BARs, 1919 Brownings, etc... Their rifle fire sure has hell had to be accuarate well past 200 yards. 200 yards, gunkid you don't know shit.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Two hundred yards is a complete crock. I've talked to many, many Korean War Vet's that said they threw away their carbines and M-3 .45 sub-machine guns because they didn't have enough range. Plenty of shots in Viet Nam were close. Plenty were at 300 Meters +. Blanket statement's are meaningless.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It all boils down to this. Every man I have ever known would rather have it too long than too short. Women are of the same mind.

Any other questions?

RIKA

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
OUTSTANDING! :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01: :laugh01:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
It all boils down to this. Every man I have ever known would rather have it too long than too short. Women are of the same mind.

Any other questions?

RIKA
RIKA:
I love the way you think, and the way you express yourself! :laugh01:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:

Any other questions?

RIKA

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts