Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at a rate that amounts to a crap. Your components are 20c a shot, and you can buy Black Hills match stuff for another 10c a shot. So if you use a single station press, and load carefully enough to have match grade stuff, you are making a wonderful $10 an hour, instead of being at the range shooting. Maybe YOUR overtime aint worth that much, but mine's worth a LOT more than that. For blasting ammo, there's no need to pay more than 10-15c a rd, and your components cost that much. so you are working at the reloading bench for nothing, when you could be working on your draw, dryfiring, etc.

For realistic training the .22lr unit handles 90% of it with the rifle, and probably 3/4 of the live fire with the pistol. The 9mm lwc handles nearly all of the centerfire pistol stuff. So the only reason to reload is to put together special fighting or hunting ammo. For that 100 rds a year (both pistol and rifle) a little c press is enough. you can scrape up 1 day a year to load such ammo, surely. Since almost none of you bother with such loads, the only reason to have a reloader at all is to make it feasible to store 5000 primers and have the ablility to cast bullets, etc, and still have some fun, if some sort of tax, war, etc shuts down the ammo supply. Ditto having 5000 rds of .22lr on hand, of course.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy, $10 per hour = $1600 per month. I understand your SSI income is only a little over $800 per month. Stop whining and do some reloading.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
One of my friends picked up a dillon 650 with dies and toolheads for $400 at a garage sale.

I tend to load all my hunting rounds on a single stage press, but I hand weigh every single powder charge too.

I guarantee my time is worth more than yours, but I look at reloading as recreation. It isn't always about money. I also load more than 100 rds a year in each of my hunting calibers, but I do a lot of hunting. I also sight in and practice with the hunting ammo in my hunting guns.

But, you're correct about it not taking a lot of time. I tend to prep and prime the cases, and then load them later. Maybe I spend a couple nights every two months or so on hunting ammo. Just recently, for example, I loaded about 200 rds of .223, 75 rnds of .338 and 50 rnds of .280.

I don't know who you figure doesn't bother with such loads, but if that's what you want to believe, then fine for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually, for match ammo, I use a RCBS Rock Chucker. Yeah, it's slow but the repeatability/consistancy is unmatched. Plus, I only load match rounds for a couple of calibers. Most of the stuff I use is bought ammunition.

Mike

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
eh, loading isn't that slow on a single stage.
If your press supports the larger dies (1.25 - 12 threads) Like the New Lee classic cast press, Redding Big Boss, etc. you can use the Hornady Lock 'n' Load bushings. They screw into where the bushing in the press usually is (converting the 1.25 - 12 threads to 7/8 - 14 threads for standard dies). You just set your dies, leave them in teh bushings, then it's a matter of just screwing them back in, no setting and resetting, and it's very quick and repeatable.
If you want to go with a turret press, there's people who swear by the Lee presses, but top quality can be had with the Dillon AT 500 ($199.95 NEW) which is the press the RL-550B is built on, and can be upgraded to the RL-550B one piece at a time.
Reloadign, quick reloading, can be equipped for with a fairly small amount of money. Usually your first 1 or 2 thosuand loaded rounds pays for it. You don't need the most expensive whiz-bang press to do it either.
Anyone who says otherwise is jealous because they can't load ammo, much less shoot it.
I've said it before I'll say it again, if you enjoy reloading (most who do it, do enjoy it), then your time costs nothing, chalk it up to recreation. I don't "bill" myself for hunting or shooting, why would I do it for reloading, which I also enjoy?

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Match and Hunting ammo is loaded on my RCBS RS-3 and practice ammo is loaded on my Dillon Square Deal B.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
IT all gets loaded on my 650. Except for really wierd calibers. Tha tgetsw done onthe Rock Chucker.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Rock Chucker, simple, efficient, and more accurate than any automatic reloader if you put your effort and time into it. Gotta love it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The FOOLE is FOS as usual.

No one needs a $650 press to load match grade rifle ammo.

What a moron.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
no foole needs a brain which he clearly does nto possess.

I just think of the scarecrow singing "If I only had a brain" in the Wizard of Oz and I think if malvin every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts