Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and 10" 223 is worthless at 250m. I'll hit you at 250m, FIRST try, with 10" CAR, at 250m, EVERY time. You hit the man's torso at 600 yds, first try with 45-70, one time in 50, and THINK you're hot crap. :) The 10" 223 will start a 69 gr, .308 BC hpbt at 2500 fps, and it will still have 400 ft lbs left at 250m. It doesn't MATTER what energy your silly assed 405 gr lfp has left at 600 yds, since you'll just MISS with it, anyway.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Your claim that we will miss assumes that you have godlike knowledge about our abilities. What we can/can't do. You don't andy so grow up and get over it. You know nothing of history or of modern shooting with current rifles. The 45-70 is proven capable of long distance accuracy. Your 10" poodle popper is not. You've never even shot a 45-70 so you aren't competent to comment. There are too many tests about the 10 incher being impotent to be ignored.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
gunkid, live the reality NOT the fantasy!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
How does a .223 fire a 69gr .308BC HPBT, and who would be that stupid to intentionally load a alrger than bore size into a shorter than legal rifle? :laugh01: :nyah: A 45/70 was designed to drop buffalo quickly, and then downloaded for the US Army(IIRC They issued 55gr not 70gr charges in their rounds.)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Post links to were you got your handload data gunkid. Can't can you. FOS as usual. It's blah blah blah from you.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Half elf said:
How does a .223 fire a 69gr .308BC HPBT, and who would be that stupid to intentionally load a alrger than bore size into a shorter than legal rifle? :laugh01: :nyah: A 45/70 was designed to drop buffalo quickly, and then downloaded for the US Army(IIRC They issued 55gr not 70gr charges in their rounds.)
Half elf Good catch!

You seem to be the only one who caught NUTTY JOHN loading a .308 diameter bullet, into the .223 Remington case.

NUTTY JOHN'S reloading expertise, is way beyond our limited ability to understand.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
not in defense[o.k. maybe] davis, was alluding to the balliest coefeicent[s.p.]
of the stated projo

ballistic coefficient

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Didn't Wild Bill Cody make a habit of extreme long range shots with the .45-70 or was that the .45-90? I seem to remember him taking some buffalo at something like 600-800 yards on occasion, though I may be misremembering history.

Mike

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
Didn't Wild Bill Cody make a habit of extreme long range shots with the .45-70 or was that the .45-90? I seem to remember him taking some buffalo at something like 600-800 yards on occasion, though I may be misremembering history.

Mike
That was William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody that used to make those innacurate shots. Cody shot rifles chambered in various calibers. There are records of him using the 1873 Winchester, in 44-40, on closer shots at Buffalo.

There are records of Cody using rifles chambered in 50-70, 45-70 45-90, and 45-110.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
Ah, thank you for the correction Bill.

Mike
I wasn't trying to correct you, Mike. For some reason "Buffalo Bill Cody," and "Wild Bill Hickok" get confused with each other quiet frequently, by many people.

They were close friends, in fact William Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok worked for Buffalo Bill, in the Wild West Show that Cody ran.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
First of all, arguing caliber, not rifle type, GoonKid screws himself again. Single shot users (particularly Sharps users) routinely shoot targets at 1000+ yards, although the .45-110 has become more popular for such. Oh yeah, they usually do it with BP loads.

A MArlin cowboy levergun in .45-70 makes a good 600-MAYBE 800- yard gun. Depends on the sights you put on it.

That's what it comes down to, the sighting system.

Anyway you cut it, though the .45-70 will plow you one hell of a lot harder than a .223 will.

But of course someone who's too lazy to learn the ballistics of the rifle he's shooting, will never know that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts