Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shtf rifle time. You will NOT shoot a 308 auto NEARLY as well without your ear protection as you do with the ear muffs. A canned 223, however, shoots just as well without ear protection. An effective can on a 308 is so huge and heavy that it ruins the rifle for any sort of fast work. A 10", 3/4 lb can, on a 6 lb, 11.5" barreled CAR 15, just makes it handle like a regular 20" AR. That is to say, SUPER fast at hitting.

TRY 5 "runs" on 2 torsos, at 50m, 5m apart, react, raise the rifle from low ready, put finger inside the guard, disengage the safety, get it on your shoulder, and hit both torsos (12"x 24") and average under 1.5 seconds, for the 5 runs, with your 308 auto and NO ear protection. :) Go ahead, I DARE you, and I bet anything you want to bet that you can't do it, the way any good hand can do the same thing with a canned CAR 223.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I always use hearing protection when recreationally shooting or testing. However, there have been times when I had to shoot a dangerous critter and I cannot remember the sound of the gun discharging. When you are frightened, you tune out the muzzle blast.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I used the .308 for quite a while without ear protection, and while it wasn't your world-wide doomsday scenario, the s**t was hitting the fan on a pretty regular basis in my world. No ear protection. No problems handling the weapon. A combat situation isn't comparable to any range shooting. A .308 works. A .223 doesn't. That simple. Real situations, not some internet dreamscape.

DC

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I can notice the difference just shooting a 12 gauge at a squirrel's nest as opposed to shooting at a running squirrel. Shooting at the nest hurts my ears and my shoulder. Shooting at the squirrel, I don't even notice the gun at all.

Pretty odd, but that't the way it is.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Rich Z said:
...shooting a 12 gauge at a squirrel's nest...
Rich, I hope that you're not actually shooting into the squirrels' nests. It's illegal in most states. Besides, you can't recover tasty squirrels that way.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well hell. They are vermin. They are destroying my valuable bamboo crops and I will wipe them off this part of the face of the earth if I can. This is not sport hunting. This is getting rid of pests. To say a pest has a safe harbor if it is in a nest is ridiculous. So a squirrel runs across a branch and then dives into a nest it is off limits? Hell too.....

As far as eating them is concerned, nope, not my cup of tea. One of my workers says they aren't good eating this time of year around here anyway. Another worker of mine shot 6 of them one day and strung them up on trees near the bamboo as warnings to the survivors.

I have no idea if shooting nests is illegal here or not. But I certainly am not going to be interested in allowing possibly a nest of young squirrels to grow up to be attacking my bamboo groves next year when they are grown up.

Do pecan growers tolerate nests if they see them in their trees? I don't think so....

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flinch is a SUBCONCIOUS reaction to noise

and in some cases, to pain. REGARDLESS of whether or not you NOTICE the blast, it's STILL effecting your ears, and making you flinch. MAYBE your fliinching wont be bad enough to make you miss, and maybe it WILL, too. Why take the chance, hmm? Anybody who says that 223 SOFTPOINTS dont work is either ignorant, or just flat out LYING, and many here KNOW it, too.; They've taken too many deer with the 223 to believe otherwise. I, and many others have had animals run off just FINE after taking a 308 ball bullet to the chest. There's nothing magical about a 308, and anyone who claims that there is, likewise is just ignorant, or LYING.

I'll bet you $5000 to your $500 that you can't average 1.8 seconds, to react, raise a 308 from low ready, (butt between upper arm and ribs, muzzle down at about 45 degrees, safety engaged, finger outside of the trigger guard, (for 5 tries, on electronic timer, to include your reaction to the timer's beep) and hit each of 2 torsos, at 50m, 5m part, 12"x24", with NO ear protecton, full charge 308 ammo, the way it can be EASILY done with a canned 223 auto and full charge ammo. I"ve made this offer for YEARS now, with ZERO takers. :) You know WHY? Because they KNOW that they'll LOSE, that's why.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Don't forget,Clint,that in Kalifornia the squirrels can vote!:D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Rich Z said:
Well hell. They are vermin. They are destroying my valuable bamboo crops and I will wipe them off this part of the face of the earth if I can. This is not sport hunting. This is getting rid of pests...

As far as eating them is concerned, nope, not my cup of tea. One of my workers says they aren't good eating this time of year around here anyway. Another worker of mine shot 6 of them one day and strung them up on trees near the bamboo as warnings to the survivors...

I have no idea if shooting nests is illegal here or not.

Do pecan growers tolerate nests if they see them in their trees? I don't think so....
I've shot them as pests before, so I fully understand. I thought that you were hunting them.

Most anywhere in the U.S., a nursery can get a squirrel eradication permit. That makes it totally legal for you to shoot them any time of the year, even in a big city.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts