Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a crack in the receiver of my .338 while inspecting the gun the other day. The crack runs from the front of the receiver to the ejection port. I have no idea why this has appeared and it appears to be very recent damage.

While I do handload for the .338, I don't run them to the high end... simple for the accuracy reason. I'm going through my brass to see if there is any tell tale signs from my last shooting session that would indicate a problem.

Anyone else ever have a bolt gun get a crack in the action? This is a first for me.

Mike

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thats horrible! I can feel your pain even from here. I wonder if the receiver was improperly heat treated or maybe a bad batch of steel. Have you contacted receiver manufacturer to see if they have reports of the same problem in that serial number range?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That receiver has had thousands of rounds through it. I've replaced the barrel on the gun twice actually. The last time was last year... I've put a LOT of rounds through it since then.

I've left a message with the manufacturer...

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hard Rock said:
That receiver has had thousands of rounds through it. I've replaced the barrel on the gun twice actually. The last time was last year... I've put a LOT of rounds through it since then.

I've left a message with the manufacturer...

Mike
It could be the barrel rather than the receiver. The common failure of most of the old black powder rifles when loaded with smokeless at pressures for which they weren't designed was for the barrel to swell up and split the receiver ring. Of course we are talking smokeless design here, but if the heat treatment of the barrel wasn't quite up to snuff, it is possible that the barrel chamber swelled up over time to the point where it finally cracked the receiver ring. Just a thought. You might want to get out the old micrometer and check out your recently fire brass for excessive expansion.
The old low-number Springfield 1903s, and occasionally an Eddystone Enfield would sometimes get a cracked receiver due to faulty heat treatment of the action, but this was caused from being too hard and brittle, rather than swelling of the barrel. I have never seen or heard about a modern commercial receiver failing in that way, but of course anything is possible.
Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but glad that you didn't get any injuries from it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update... got a call from the manufacturer. Sending the barreled action in and they will advise.

Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
rock i have seen this kind of damage on a few rifles. from what i know about it it is most likley caused by one of the times you had it rebarreled. if the threads on the barrel are taper cut ( something like NTP pipe threads) the reciever will crack like you describe. the area of the barrel near the locking sholder expands the internal deminsions of the front of the reciever resulting in a crack. i hope you had a reputable smit re-barrel your action for you. when the smith cut the threads and installed the barrel the 1'st or 2'nd time it most likely cracked the reciever at this time. i say a $2,500.00 F-class panda action destroyed this way. the smith replaced it but from what i under stand getting it replaced was like pulling teeth and took almost a year to do it. goood luke guy you'll need it. :kill:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a stress crack. Looks like the receiver failed after so many rounds through it. On the plus side, the gun lasted over 3 times the expected life of the design combined with that caliber.

I can't complain I guess. Now I have to decide whether or not to replace the gun with a duplicate or just move on.

Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
something doesn't sound right. it most likey is a stress facture, but firing the weapon should not cause the action to fracture in the manner you said it did. the 338 win mag doesn't get much more chamber pressure than a 30/06. it should have lasted a lifetime even with extensive use. i also don't buy the lasted 3x longer than expected, due to the number of rounds out of it. what kind of action is it, and what is the life expecenty of the action. someting sounds rotten in denmark to me kjun. :cool:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Hard Rock said:
It's a stress crack. Looks like the receiver failed after so many rounds through it. On the plus side, the gun lasted over 3 times the expected life of the design combined with that caliber.

I can't complain I guess. Now I have to decide whether or not to replace the gun with a duplicate or just move on.

Mike

"YER' MORE THAN 'cool' IN 'my' BOOK"! , 'HELL,YOU'VE GOT-IT GOIN'-ON'.

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, been busy and haven't been able to post an update... got a second theory on Friday afternoon. Now they are thinking that the gun may have had a weak spot in the receiver that finally gave way after 50k+ rounds. The action will be checked out for that problem.

To answer your question NH, it's an AI gun.

I've decided to move on to something more interesting for the moment. I'll probably slip back into the .338 in a couple of years. Until then, I've found a new toy that has gotten my interest up.

Mike

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ya i know what you mean about finding something new to play with. a friend of mine had a 700 vl in .308 that he couldn't get to shoot. so he brought it to me today and told me i could have it if i could get it to shoot better than 1 1/4" 's. i put an old weaver 36x scope on it and took it out to the range with some match rnds for my m1a. while he was setting there i shot a 0.50 5 rnd group with it. i told him there was nothing wrong with my new rifle and he should get him one. all he said was damn. how did i get it to shoot for me and it wouldn't for him no matter what he tried. all i could tell him was that the problem most likley was a loose nut behind the but. i told him thanks and went and put it in the cleaning rack. i was thinking about giving it back to him next week. what do you think??? :cool:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Nope I'd wait 'til he buys a new one.

Then give it back and tell'em he needs a spare in case one o'them breaks again. :dgrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts