Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the gun shop I deal with hold on layaway another "project" 1911 for me.

This one may just be the holy-grail of off-brand 1911 junk clones. A stainless commander length slide and frame made by VEGA.

Missing the barrel, the frame is cut for a ramped barrel, either factory or a good 'smith job, luckily. Also needs new sights installed and could use a new recoil spring and guide assembly.

The previous owner spent $40 on new parts, which are included, before he found out about the cost of a ramped barrel.

Did I get hosed for paying $85, tax included, for this mess?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A Clark ramped 45acp barrel will cost you $120 dealer. BarSto ramped @ $156 dealer. Am not familiar with the Vega brand. If the quality looks okay, I think you got a good deal that you will enjoy turning into a silk purse. If you are still concerned please feel free to send it to RIKA's Place for Homeless and Abused 45 parts where I will care for and feed it until it can be adopted into a loving and caring family. :D

I think you got another good deal. Maybe we should start calling you Lucky. :)

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I once got $300 for a 1911 that I built out of an AR Sales frame, and 2 "dewat" slides. I welded the latter together with a torch and cut the locking lugs with a Dremel.:) I put a couple of setscrews thru the frame and into blind holes in the mainspring housing, to prevent frame tear-out, below the mainspring housing's retaining pin. I just explained it all to the buyer, and stood behind my work. He used it for years,with no problem. When I went on the run, I lost track of nearly everybody in ILL. I've also welded up frames where somebody ground away too much metal, trying to make swc's feed reliably. I've welded up a P35 frame, where somebody cut thru it, trying to checker its front strap, and while I was at it, I added a ducktail tang. Same thing in PPK, Stars. I've put 1911 firing pins and retainers into Stars, too. You oughta try moving a mag catch on a Star to the guns' butt sometime, and creating a Firestar like "sinus" at the bottom rear of trigger guard.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one's just mainly gonna be a parts hunt job but filling in the cut for the ramp has crossed my mind.

BTW- Anyone know a good source for ramp dimensions for Wilson and Clark ramps without bothering the 'smiths at either place or Brownnel's?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Todd, I wouldn't hesitate to call or e-mail the techs at Brownells. Thats what they are there for and I'm certain they would be glad to help.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
post this at Pistolsmithing Forums, or at

HomeGunsmithing forums (Roderus Custom Gunworks) and I seem to recall that the info can be had by looking at Brownell's catalog, too. Para Ord's Website might have it, so might Clark's, and Spld's, or a quick email will get ya an answer.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
223 fan said:
I've welded up a P35 frame, where somebody cut thru it, trying to checker its front strap, and while I was at it, I added a ducktail tang.
What the hell did they do, try to checker it with a bandsaw? I've heard of Bubba jobs (and cried over a few), but cutting through the front strap? Damn.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
u CANT checker the P35 frame WITHOUT cutting thru

it, at the corners where the front corners of the mag are. The frame is about .030" thick there. That's why you see it either stippled, or Pachmayr grips on it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
$300 in 1980 is like $700 today, so the dude paid a good price, for a proven nice lw 1911, with all the goodies, speed safety, good fixed sights, ducktail tang, stippling, checkered flat mainspring housing, polished feed ramp, enlarged and flared ejection port, beveled mag well, trigger job. Just that work was worth the $300, easy. He got the gun for nothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts