Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Ultra Light Hiking Gear Actually Used By One Man

581 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  John in AR 
#1 ·
I thought this might interest some on the ultralight gear premise. Not only for recreational wilderness trips but for intermediate survival gear as well.
The older I get I always look to shave a few ounces or pounds of gear out of my kit.

#2 ·
As the article mentions, the weather in your geographical location should be taken into consideration. This pack might do in the South Eastern US but not northwest of the 48th parallel due to the distances seen on the open prairie.

#3 ·
A three day fast trek is a very different proposition from an extended camping trip. He was going for speed, not survival.

gear targeted to longer term use is heavier, if it is well made.

I use a very heavy backpack, but it is a meat hauler and a gear hauler. It’s a beefier pack than a pure backpacking ruck. But it will also hold up to a lot more abuse.

gear choices are a personal thing, and a lot of factors should go into the selection

#4 ·
This is a 10-minute video, but the first 3 minutes are what I thought was cool. It's not really practical - she probably used two hundred dollars' worth of stretch wrap and I have no idea how long that would last before degrading in the sun, but it was pretty neat from a strictly playing-around and thinking outside the box perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.