Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
legal problems, in this day and age!

you bet!

but go back to the day WHEN the government, did trust us tax payers .

when farmer BROWN could go down to the hardware store/farm co-op

and pick up a 48count case of dynamite[with caps/fuse/electric]

with nothing more than the cash and his GOOD name on his I.D.

it was NOTHING more than manportable ENERGY used to clear tree stumps/log jams[it has put us where were at]

i think a few dollar clearance stamp/viabale[s.p.] storage, was required.

my heros in life have ALWAYS been the ol'cobbs[who definitly know more than one way to 'skin a cat']

let me state i am not implying/advocate ANY illegal use/ownership of this
topic!

now that being stated! a 1/2 stick of 40% capped an fused will belly up any fish in a 20'x20' pool of water[ie. slow river bend,semi-dry river, pond, ect...]

very fast/effective with a saning net 2person op.[and FUN] OR SO I'VE HEARD!

now! we get to where there is no acsess to stated fishing equipment[40%60%- 80%hy-drive]

well friends there is still a little home made fishing lure [ha]
that you can put together.

a1/2 cup of CARBIDE [the ol'miner headlamps/google]

a 1 gal. cider jug,glass.[with finger ring on neck,prefered]
2 40cent concete blocks/c.m.u's, bailing wire [i'm showing my age on the price/any masons?]

simply place carbide in jug ,take a nail and punch several holes in the cider jug cap[ thats your timer] secure blocks/wieghts to neck of cider jug,
and dump on deep side on slow/lazy river bend.

it works pretty well, although, not as well as 2 sticks of 80%hy-drive laced with18"of det cord will! OR SO I HAVE BEEN INFORMED!ha!

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Good post Brass hammer. While the bang sticks aren't readily available, the seine sure is along with the yoyos (automatic fishermen). Its unlikely that carbide will be banned but who knows. Food gathering methods are definitely something to talk about.

RIKA

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
I dislike working with dynamite as it has a tendency to "age" quickly. We have a policy of not buying anything over 18 months after manufacture. But I have seen 9 month old dynamite exude NG, it also killed 6 people to. There are some benefits to the increased laws. During the 4 years I was posted to an EOD center , we had a number of calls about dynamite that farmers "forgot". In some cases we had to risk our lives to dispose of it safely.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
A DuPont lure, sometimes duct taped to a brick, always makes for interesting fishing.

Here in AZ, where mining has always been a huge thing, you can buy dynamite readily, but they changed the laws requiring a transportation permit for safety reasons until it gets to your property, so you often have to have it professionally delivered.

You don't need a permit, however, to transport a 2 component explosive like kinepak, which is basically an ammonium nitrate - nitromethane charge that you mix prior to use.

For fish, calcium carbide is cheap and effective. An old man also once showed me how to use a generator to stun fish to the surface - quite effective.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just make sure you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Your first kaboom will be your last. And it's no joke.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you bet!

it is not a game for amateurs, if you don't have a slight pucker factor going

when the fuse is lit/un-shunting your wires, your crazier than i am.

i helped a dairy farmer blow stumps once, and he put about a half a case around a 3'-4' oak stump, [thank god we were under a hay wagon]

i mean it RAINED chunks of frozen earth,roots the size of a human leg, and splinters, ha! mr.williams used a little to much! [about 20% didn't detonate]

it was funny!

thanks.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I remeber some unpricipled National Guardsman using Artillery Simulators to fish with in a trout stream at Fort Mckoy, Wi. About 1/4 pound of TNT, but it sure brought those rainbows to the top, belly up. (So I was told.)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I remember seeing a funny, I'm not sure where, and these two bomb disposal men were working on disarming a VERY big bomb. One of them who was tinkering on the inside of the bomb said, "Ops...", and the other guys eyes got real big.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
I work with experimental explosives on a daily basis and we work in 2 man team. The one phrase that gets your partners attention real fast is when you say "Ah <font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font><font color=red>*</font>!!".

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
I work with experimental explosives on a daily basis and we work in 2 man team. The one phrase that gets your partners attention real fast is when you say "Ah sh*t!!".

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Would that cider jug bomb work with a plastic bottle? I would hate to be eating a fish and wind up slicing the inside of my throat when I swallowed a piece of glass!

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glen , maybe it would work!

that plastic will swell/bulge[one halloween,my step son and friends, were dressed as accident victims/dawn of the dead, with dry ice /water in 2 litter coke bottles for smoke effect , i say pretty cool , just DON'T screw the lids on or they will blow up in your hands! big mistake as 3 of them exploded in the parking lot about 15 mintues later, car alarms/police at the scene, those little bastards hiding under there beds, it sounded like a 10ga. shotgun or better!]

the glass will not travel under water like your thinking[i thinK!]

it needs a threshhold barrier to work , although i know a plastic jug of ANFO
will pop.

i have used the glass before. never plastic.

thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts