Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't matter, down to 1800 fps with a big game sort of bullet, and down to 1600 fps with varmint bullets. Only fools handicap themselves with nothing but ball ammo. good 223 sp's blow 3/4" holes in critters, and the zone of destruction in the chest, can be as wide as 2", especially in the lungs.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Who here indicated in any way they would ever just have fmj, if "the balloon ever went up"?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
don't matter, down to 1800 fps with a big game sort of bullet, and down to 1600 fps with varmint bullets. Only fools handicap themselves with nothing but ball ammo. good 223 sp's blow 3/4" holes in critters, and the zone of destruction in the chest, can be as wide as 2", especially in the lungs.
Didn't read this thread earlier - did you change your mind on using the M855, or do recommend separate mags of each, or...?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd keep one mag of alternating M855's and tracers, until I got where I was going, and then cache it. Might need it vs a chopper.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I'd keep one mag of alternating M855's and tracers, until I got where I was going, and then cache it. Might need it vs a chopper.
I'm talking about your past recommendation to stagger 855 and softpoints.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Oh no, not the choppers again. We have on this board a Marine door gunner, ask him about what would happen if a single shot would come close.
GIVE IT A REST.
Another thing, might be a lot of people enjoy taking out a few 16 or so in. ARs just to shoot for FUN. I know have since 1974 an I can carry it legal in a case, not all apart.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you won't hit the chopper's pilot without the tracers and he aint in any position to do squat to you, besides report your position via radio. When he sees those tracers coming his way, he's going to back off about half a mile, giving you a LOT more chance to vanish, before anybody can be put on the ground to actually do something with/to you.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
10in. AR against M60s an rockets? What video game is that from?
Or mini-guns and automatic grenade launchers. A rifleman firing tracers at an armed helicopter has a death wish.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
…did you change your mind on using the M855, or do recommend separate mags of each, or...?
you won't hit the chopper's pilot without the tracers…
I’m not talking about taking down choppers, I’m talking about normal defensive use; your recommendation to stagger softpoints with M855/SS109 in defensive magazines. When did that change?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Fwiw, this is what I'm referring to. When I posted the video here of the AR's times with double-taps, you said this:
I never saw the point of the double tap with the 223...
Versus your old “Region Five Report” article, talking about .223 softpoints:
The SP also fails to pierce a windshield, so load every other round in your magazine with the new steel-cored 62-gr. SS-109 ball ammo and fire a “double-tap” (like your supposed to do, anyway, to assure a hit)…”

From “fire a double tap like you’re supposed to do”, to “I never saw the point of the double tap”.

Similarly, from "load every other round" with ball back then, to today's "why bother with ball ammo?".

It's okay to change your mind and change your choices. I'm carrying different ammunition than I was in the 1970's (and not wearing a digital watch anymore, either :) ), but it's the sign of a grown-up to admit when he does change his mind and/or expand his understanding.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shoot at Choppers..?

It seems unlikely that the latest Huey (UH-1Y) gunships would be intimidated by a few muzzle flashes, or tracers..
Huey UH-1Y Venom door gunner with M134 Minigun.JPG

Huey UH-1Y's each armed with GAU-21 Machine Gun and M134 Minigun.JPG

Unless one plans to attack only traffic helicopters, it would probably be prudent to keep their shorty under their coat..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hueys won't be doing anything if shtf. without an economy, the military will be stuck with defending bases full of hot shots. The only likely chopper threat is the cop chopper, which has nothing whatsoever in the way of armament or armor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts